Benefits street ep3

(119 Posts)

Anyone watching?

kylesmybaby Mon 20-Jan-14 21:41:25

White dee used to work In the council office and stole loads of money to take her bf on holidays.

GeraldineFangedVagine Mon 20-Jan-14 21:42:05

White dee is lazy and negative. Mark and becky seem feckless and ill equipped but willing to change. I feel so sad for the kids.

ReputableBiscuit Mon 20-Jan-14 21:42:25

Tell you what, the kids on this street get lots of exercise - lots of shots of playing outside, climbing gates, cycling.

What
Did she get done for it ?

It's true they do - lots of bikes etc

moondog Mon 20-Jan-14 21:44:23

White dee started out as genial almost earth mother but now seens increasingly ill tempered and entitled.

The social workers just seem so out of their depth.

Finlaggan Mon 20-Jan-14 21:45:08

This is the first time I've seen this programme. I am shocked.
Those poor children, what chance do they have?

It's all very well saying the parents needs help, but what about the children? They are up all night in the same clothes they've been in all day with black filthy feet eating rice crispies covered in sugar at midnight. It's the children who need help and they're not going to get that from those two.

RhondaJean Mon 20-Jan-14 21:45:29

Jazz if people could learn one thing from this series I would like it to be just that - that poverty isn't just about money, but loss of opportunity, loss of contact with what we would consider to be normal life...

Sadoldbag Mon 20-Jan-14 21:46:14

Is there a pyjama party going on always I there pyjamas hmm

PontOffelPock Mon 20-Jan-14 21:47:40

Yes agree Finlaggen - but that poor couple probably had exactly the same start to life as their kids. Its a never ending cycle sad

sonlypuppyfat Mon 20-Jan-14 21:48:25

He's got a nice bike both of them smoking they seem to find cash for that.

Icantstopeatinglol Mon 20-Jan-14 21:48:49

Watching this makes me thankful for my upbringing and so sad for those poor children.

Sadoldbag Mon 20-Jan-14 21:49:20

The knack

They are not social workers they are health visitors

And all those people who feel that this is outrageous what is outrageous is the state of the kids and the fact in the uk in 2014 a grown man has never yes never had employed work

PistolAnnies Mon 20-Jan-14 21:49:42

Wow I do not usually get so enraged by TV shows but I am absolutely disgusted and deeply saddened sad

The porch - OH MY LORD!!! And such vile language in front of those babies ? hmm

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 20-Jan-14 21:50:21

The problem with the entire series is that it's designed to encourage people to generalise from the cases described as 'young parents', 'single parents' etc.

Callum's parents so obviously need lots of support. It seems so very obvious to many of us where they're going wrong, but they clearly don't have the life experiences or social networks that would help them to do the same. It's also hard to help them because they are fearful of professional involvement in their lives, and feel judged etc. I'd hate someone coming in and scrutinising my parenting. I'd find it really hard. It takes bravery to accept the kind of help this family need. Well done them for doing so.

They must be totally exhausted. I keep watching and thinking about how much better life could be for them. Enough sleep and not feeling life is a constant struggle against their children would make such a difference.

Sadoldbag Mon 20-Jan-14 21:51:36

Oh yes white dee is now depressed I was waiting for that now she can claim on the sick

kylesmybaby Mon 20-Jan-14 21:53:00

Jazz - yes it will be on the internet somewhere. She had a good job there but stole loads. It's how she helps them all with their benefit troubles. Lol

racmun Mon 20-Jan-14 21:53:23

Amazes me that the children just seem to play outside in the street without any real supervision. Would you let your child Jump/climb on a dirty old bed and sofa.
White Dee just seems to accept that her son will get into trouble and doesn't seem that bothered.

Poor kids

CalamitouslyWrong Mon 20-Jan-14 21:53:38

Yes, Rhonda, the problem here is social exclusion rather that simple poverty. The two often go along with each other.

I think it's sweet how happy they are that Callum's asleep. The sure start support is doing what it's supposed to.

PistolAnnies Mon 20-Jan-14 21:54:02

If she spent less God damn time on that feckin step and more time cleaning that house ggrrrrrr angryangryangry

ReputableBiscuit Mon 20-Jan-14 21:54:11

Seriously, how is Gerrard five?! He looks ten.

Sadoldbag Mon 20-Jan-14 21:54:24

Sorry "totally exhausted" from what all the hard work there doing

There seems a lot of sitting around and the only work that gets done is cleaning in order to convince others they are coping with they are clearly not

All it would take would be one unannounced visit

rainbowfeet Mon 20-Jan-14 21:55:41

So hope these people are a tiny tiny percentage of the population because I feel so sad for the children of these families... How will they escape this cycle of no hope, no self respect, no ambition & no work ethic hmm

Sadoldbag Mon 20-Jan-14 21:55:44

100% commission confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now