The DAVE ALLEN Appreciation Thread.

(19 Posts)
Darkesteyes Fri 10-Jan-14 23:54:36

BBC2 had a Dave Allen night recently and ive also been rewatching his stuff on you tube. He was hilarious. I remember watching the stuff he did on tv from the mid 80s onwards but a lot of the stuff from the 70s id never seen before. And he did a bit of acting and was a reporter too.
I could also relate to a lot of his material on Catholicism having been brought up as Catholic My parents wanted me to go to this Catholic girls boarding school. Thank God they didnt have the money to send me there. Me and my DB had to do catechism down at our local convent when i was 14 ( i remember DB and i throwing Opal Fruits around behind the nuns back and one day he threw one so hard that it hit a posh wooden cabinet behind me and actually made a dent in it.) Any other Dave Allen fans on here? smile

PortofinoRevisited Fri 10-Jan-14 23:56:44

I loved Dave Allen. He so didn't give a shit.

PortofinoRevisited Fri 10-Jan-14 23:58:26

My all time favourite was something about fear of public speaking where you would rather be in the coffin than giving the euolgy.

Darkesteyes Fri 10-Jan-14 23:59:03

YY Portofino There is no one around today who even comes close. I didnt realise till i watched the documentary Gods Own Comedian that Mark Thomas worked on material with him.

Darkesteyes Sat 11-Jan-14 00:02:22

There is LOADS of his stand up on you tube. Ive been watching loads of it over the last week.
His take on Banking and Shops Xmas Holidays and Holiday Resorts Sperm

I wonder what he would have said today about things like

food banks . reality tv celebrity culture botox internet/social networking etc.

Davros Sat 11-Jan-14 00:05:49

I saw him live, ner! He was brilliant

Piscivorus Sat 11-Jan-14 00:06:35

I loved Dave Allen too. My parents watched his show all the time so he was part of my growing up

Darkesteyes Sat 11-Jan-14 00:08:56

You saw him live Davros envy

WhenWhyWhere Sat 11-Jan-14 00:23:37

My DH and I were just reminiscing about when we saw him live over 22 years ago! We can both remember some of his jokes and were both laughing when we were recalling them. That says a lot about how great Dave Allen was.
We must have seen dozens of live comedy shows since we saw him all those years ago but he stands out as one of the very best, if not the actual best.

(I liked Milton Jones too)

Davros Sat 11-Jan-14 00:28:50

I loved him on telly and he was brilliant live too. As well as having tons of charisma and being rather attractive. Can't say those things of Tommy Cooper and Frankie Howerd who I also saw live but they were brilliant too, esp TC. I more or less can't stand today's "comedians" or I'm indifferent

Darkesteyes Sat 11-Jan-14 00:33:54

Yep I find him quite attractive too blush Todays comedians like Jimmy Carr leave me cold.

Dave was funny and talented but never mean or nasty and a lot of todays comics cant seem to manage that.

Housewife2010 Sat 11-Jan-14 21:59:37

I've always though he was so funny and pre the white hair, very hot!

checkmates Mon 13-Jan-14 11:59:33

Yes, Dave Allen is great on tape. They should repeat more of his stuff.
One of the brainiest comedians ever

Darkesteyes Mon 13-Jan-14 21:39:55
Darkesteyes Mon 13-Jan-14 21:42:23

About 52 to 54 mins into the above clip Dave talks about stereotypes women

womens independence and sex.

No slut shaming like you get from a lot of todays comics.

And the bit im talking about looks like it was filmed in the late 1970s/early 80s. Listening to the way some of todays comics talk,though it sounds like we have gone backwards.

Dave you were great!

runes Mon 13-Jan-14 23:32:08

I love Dave Allen grin . Could just listen to him talking all night. My favourite sketch is the Holmes one where Watson has been shot in the ass with a poisonous dart and Holmes (Allen) says "Watson, if this poison isn't sucked from your posterior in the next ten seconds you're going to die ". Watson - "What's going to happen? "
Holmes - "You're going to die"grin grin grin
Also agree, he was fairly easy on the eye before the crazy grey hair wink

KareKare Tue 14-Jan-14 00:12:56

I'd sort of forgotten about Dave Allen until I watched this documentary.

And yes, in his youth he was very sexy.

I remember my (devout catholic) parents used to love his shows.

His 2nd wife obviously adored him. So sad that he died before their son was born.

Darkesteyes Tue 14-Jan-14 02:06:15

I thought he was still lovely after the grey hair. Someone has uploaded some full episodes of Dave Allen at Large from the 1970s onto youtube. Its a very recent upload Was done at the end of last month. Ive just watched 3 of them.
I didnt realise they did so many sketches. The amount was in the hundreds.

Darkesteyes Tue 14-Jan-14 02:08:15

Agree KareKare. Hearing his wife Karin talk about him with such love and how much she misses him was heartbreaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now