Is there any way of getting 4OD on my TV?

(19 Posts)

Hi. I have a Panasonic tv and was most excited to find that I can watch bbc iplayer on it (as long as I do so before 7am, when the internet slows down dramatically), but I can't watch catch up ITV or channel 4. Is that universal?

MyBachisworsethanmybite Thu 26-Dec-13 07:40:27

It's the case on mine. Immensely irritating; why do they include them in the catch-up service if you can't watch them? without shelling out as if it weren't available on the internet

RightInTheKisser Thu 26-Dec-13 07:42:55

Our tv started with only Iplayer and then had an update and 4od appeared. It's a Samsung. Does your tv have an update option?

RightInTheKisser Thu 26-Dec-13 07:43:59

Oh and it has demand 5 and itv player too. All appeared through various updates.

Fontofnowt Thu 26-Dec-13 07:48:07

You can actually manually update some tvs to put the latest firmware on.
My samsung used to glitch on itvod and not play 5od but a quick download from samsung onto a usb and plugging it into tv fixed it.

zgaze Thu 26-Dec-13 07:52:54

A 'Now TV' box would give you 4OD and 5 on demand - you don't have to sign up to the extra Sky on demand stuff for it to work. I did the free trial then cancelled it off (nowhere near as good as Netflix) and continued using the box. It's quite a bargain for £10.

MyBachisworsethanmybite Thu 26-Dec-13 07:56:01

They are on my tv, but as you have to pay per view I haven't ever used them as I can watch for free on the laptop.
Do you others have the ITV/4OD/etc available for free like iPlayer?

Fontofnowt Thu 26-Dec-13 08:03:45

Second what Zgaze says we use now tv box on the upstairs tv, works great.

Fontofnowt Thu 26-Dec-13 08:04:33

All free Mybach which tv do you have?

MyBachisworsethanmybite Thu 26-Dec-13 09:08:48

I have the bt vision box (with no subscriptions).

Fontofnowt Thu 26-Dec-13 10:20:12

Ah I haven't used the bt box, it should be free though they are free to use.
If you like bt for pay per view sport and have a spare hdmi socket maybe a now tv box as well as a bt box would give you full access to on demand services.
I have no idea though if the now tv is competitive on sport prices I think you get those free on bt.

ProfYaffle Thu 26-Dec-13 10:22:20

We just have an hdmi cable to connect the laptop to the tv.

Maybe the way to go is an hdmi cable. I thought I must be missing something obvious, but maybe iplayer is the only one freely available. I just wanted to watch the end of Downton from the other day ...

Retropear Fri 27-Dec-13 10:01:31

We get all of the on demand channels for free,4od is the only iffy one but we watch it through the xBox.

Lilymaid Fri 27-Dec-13 10:12:47

We also have a Panasonic but can't get 4OD etc in the same way as iPlayer. The app rights were exclusively sold to Samsung.

mysteryfairy Fri 27-Dec-13 10:17:02

When we bought a smart tv we got a Samsung because there didn't seem any way round the no 4OD on other brands issue

Retropear Fri 27-Dec-13 10:20:35

They must have sold it to Microsoft too as we get it through the Xbox which is waaaay better- less buffering.

Retropear Fri 27-Dec-13 10:21:41

We have a new Samsung smart TV and 4od is the only one that plays up on it.Starts to load and just buffers.Through the Xbox app it's fine.

Before buying the new set I hadn't even realised that you can get on-demand TV ... so I didn't research it at all. Never mind, I can watch it on the lap top and buy a cable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now