I say is there no Downton thread? How awful!

(141 Posts)
Moln Wed 25-Dec-13 23:04:03

I can't have been alone in my viewing!

ophiotaurus Wed 25-Dec-13 23:10:06

I just came in here to discuss! There must be someone else who watched it as well as us?
What did you think?

BitOfFunWithSanta Wed 25-Dec-13 23:10:45

It was real hammy garbage, wasn't it? I still can't help watching though. I laughed out loud at Edith's clunky account of the men who beat up Michael being "quite well-known, apparently, and they wear horrid brown shirts" grin. And it is baffling me why anybody is interested in the comatose Lady Mary.

Oblique27 Wed 25-Dec-13 23:11:42

I was just wondering the same thing! I know no one else here with me wanted to watch it but surely the country has not deserted Mr Fellowes? I thought it was fun. Perhaps over long but lots of nice happy story lines....smile

Rosa Wed 25-Dec-13 23:12:16

I was hoping for a bit more drama really a twist or something , it was a bit bland , very soft and gentle ...but you can see they have left many doors open for the next series.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 25-Dec-13 23:12:53

It was good but I was expecting a bit more drama! Sick of Lady Rose and the Mary suitors.

Oblique27 Wed 25-Dec-13 23:14:43

Surely Mary's story is completely true to life? wink. Don't all single mothers have a host of suitors prepared to wait forever for even a smile? And, of course they are secretly rich too.....

Moln Wed 25-Dec-13 23:15:46

Oh good I wasn't alone. I have to confess though it did occur to ne during my veiwing tonight that it's more the comic element that's keeping me interested. Sniggering alone at mad story lines and line all set in lovely surroundings and with nice clothes.

SirChenjin Wed 25-Dec-13 23:18:39

I thought it was a bit dull - kept waiting for the twist in the plot or something, but agree that it's probably setting the scenes for next series. I did laugh at "the bunch of toughies" (understatement much?!)

Moln Wed 25-Dec-13 23:19:24

Though I did edmit an 'ah' when farmer man said 'it shpuld be our secret'. Obviously that can only go disastrously wrong!

Oblique27 Wed 25-Dec-13 23:19:29

Yes, Carson and Lady Grantham must realise "here is my disapproving look scene" it's all that is needed.....but sadly, it's all getting too predictable. But then I hate an unexpected story line, like Anna's too, they can't win.

Moln Wed 25-Dec-13 23:22:08

I'm also starting to notice that there seems to be a 'theme' in each episode. Like women in the 20s, or tonight differences in America and England

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 25-Dec-13 23:25:38

I missed the first 10 mins, but didn't miss much I suspect. Enjoyed it but lots still left unanswered. I hope Miss Baxter extricates herself from Thomas and his nasty ways. I thought Gillingham would have been married by now. Also missed something re Edith and the baby (DCs were distracting me) - where is the baby and who was that man at the end?

The man is a tenant farmer, the one that saved the pigs. The baby is on the continent, with people called Schroeder, but Edith is going to bring her back and pay the farmer to keep her.

I loved it. But then, I always do. I am not an overly critical person.

Moln Wed 25-Dec-13 23:31:18

She's had the baby, and it was arranged that she was left with a family in Switzerland. The baby has not been offically adopted tough. Man at end was the farmer that Edith wanted to leave the baby with originally but gotvstrong armed out of.

I've no clue who the boy who left the tea tray down was though! Probably a hall boy, seeing the rest of the staff were all being saucy at the seaside.

MorrisZapp Wed 25-Dec-13 23:32:17

I can't tell Mary's suitors apart. And are Rose's parents dead?

I had to tape the last 30 mins to let DP watch the cricket. Please tell me Isobel ended up getting a thoroughly festive seeing to from that random dapper chap who has taken a shine to her.

SirChenjin Wed 25-Dec-13 23:34:09

No - it was all very much above board between Isobel and old wotsit. Mrs Hughes, however, was rather risque at the end shock

thenightsky Wed 25-Dec-13 23:36:44

I was not pleased to see the Dowager being verbally beaten by the American MIL [shock}

Maggie Smith should have made mincemeat of her.

BitOfFunWithSanta Wed 25-Dec-13 23:36:51

The first big laugh was Cora doing her patented simper and ordering a beano for the staff to compensate them for "all this kerfuffle".

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 25-Dec-13 23:38:05

Thanks, I didn't recognise pig farmer and thought the baby had already been adopted by the Swiss couple.

Who's Evelyn? Did we ever see Evelyn?

ophiotaurus Wed 25-Dec-13 23:41:55

I don't like that teacher that Pickle is chums with. She seems sneaky...
I liked the whole "find the letter" bit and Samson got his comeuppance!
The Mr Bates bit was quite tame. The whole thing was really. But they couldn't really top last year's I suppose.
I so wanted Edith to just go and get her baby. But I suppose at that time it wouldn't have been realistic.
Do we really have to wait until September again? Wah!

ophiotaurus Wed 25-Dec-13 23:43:59

Was Evelyn not the chum of the chap who's bringing down all the aristos?

BitOfFunWithSanta Wed 25-Dec-13 23:45:43

Yes, the teacher is rather brassy.

MissWimpyDimple Wed 25-Dec-13 23:47:16

I was rather shock when Lord G said "dodgy". Surely that's a modernism?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now