SCD 2013 #5: Hoping the music will improve for musicals week!

(954 Posts)
PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 24-Nov-13 19:24:11

Last thread here.

This pro dance is fun smile

ilovesooty Sat 14-Dec-13 19:17:48

Well I loved Sophie's Paso. An 8 from Craig?

digerd Sat 14-Dec-13 17:59:02

"The Top Line" is the alignment of the head neck shoulders and upper back. When apart it also includes the arms, so especially in the latin dances and in the AS arm lines are very important.
I expect Natalie's AS will be more Cyd Charisse than Ginger Rogers.

Fiderer Sat 14-Dec-13 06:44:58

Thanks for the updates - I love how knowledgeable posters on this thread are.
A question from a duffer (an enthusiastic duffer though wink ) What exactly is the "top line"? Just the whole way the head/shoulders/upper body are held - I say 'just' but it differs according to the dance, so what's important for what?

I'll sashay over to the new thread for an answer >>>>>>>[twirl] grin

JaneEyreTheRedNosedReindeer Fri 13-Dec-13 21:26:22

Thank you!

ScatterGotStuckUpTheChimney Fri 13-Dec-13 20:13:31
ScatterGotStuckUpTheChimney Fri 13-Dec-13 20:04:23

Yes, I think I might start one now actually, so we can all get comfy in anticipation grin

JaneEyresHeir Fri 13-Dec-13 19:33:44

Hi Polkadots-Scatter
Just popping in to check whether you'll be starting a new thread in time for tomorrow's semi-final? It will be good to have a thread under 500 posts, as having to check for the latest update while watching the programme would take longer with the recent tech change limiting threads to 500 per page! Thank you!
thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake
thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake thanks cake

Snowstorm Fri 13-Dec-13 15:03:52

Kevin was definitely a happy, eager puppy in a former life ...

Bless Kevin, he looked so thrilled!

digerd Thu 12-Dec-13 19:41:52

Kevin won the drunken sailors grin. Anton was in 2nd place.

Sophie looked rather floppy/sloppy during her training sessionsad
Ian said she needed more attack

CloudOfStarlings Thu 12-Dec-13 14:39:40

Ooh yes we can see what everyone is dancing here - phew! I was holding my breath that Sophie & brendan would avoid salsa and looks like they have. I'm guessing they get to reprise their charleston in the final, yay! (providing they make it) Hopefully many 10s coming then!

Zhx3 Thu 12-Dec-13 14:35:47

Artem and Natalie's paso doble reminded me of the scene in Strictly Ballroom where all of Fran's relatives are laughing at them grin.

Here.

ScatterGotStuckUpTheChimney Thu 12-Dec-13 13:15:22

I wonder if that's also why he's skipped a ballroom? They're not doing foxtrot. I think all the others are missing a Latin or the AT.

janeyjampot Thu 12-Dec-13 13:08:26

Ian also said that the reason Artem doesn't do much in hold is that he's shorter than Natalie.

ScatterGotStuckUpTheChimney Thu 12-Dec-13 13:00:32

I don't think I ever actually said Fid. I've been Polka for a months so was used to it and had sort of forgotten the Strictly people wouldn't know who I was grin

Karen said she thought Artem might be choreography to impress the audience at home, but said he really should be trying to impress the judges.

Susannah she said lack of A-frame, and she'd have liked more leg decorations. Sophie was good character-wise, but lost her topline a few times.

She also mentioned the heel leads for Patrick, and lack of heel leads for Abbey.

Also, I think they might have a job lot of the white flowery material- Natalie was wearing it too for the foxtrot bit with Ian!

Artem is being a bit disingenuous. He's been on the show long enough to know that the judges expect to see the majority of the dance in hold and he knows the Paso syllabus well enough that the majority of figures are either danced in hold of some form (two handed, one handed, full hold, etc).

AndiMac Thu 12-Dec-13 12:28:28

Artem responded yesterday that it was the first time he had ever heard that the Paso had to be 40% in hold. I have no idea, so I'm not taking part in that. I do have to say, that despite both Artem and Natalie's fierce looks, they didn't seem that fiery to me. Maybe it was a bit too clean as Craig said, I'm not sure. But something was missing.

Ian said something funny on his Wednesday warm-up. He was showing Patrick's dance that's coming up and pointed out his heel lead and said, "There's his heel lead, he's had plenty of practice with those..." obviously in reference to Len's little tantrum in the dance-off about Patrick's rumba.

CloudOfStarlings Thu 12-Dec-13 11:48:50

Ooh it's coming back to me, she basically said Artem is silly for not doing enough in hold to please the judges!

CloudOfStarlings Thu 12-Dec-13 11:48:08

Can't remember much of Karen Hardy but I know she showed where Patrick did heel leads in his rumba. Oh and that Susanna & Kevin didn't have enough of the A line frame in their AT or enough leg decorations. Can't remember what she said about the others? Think I still have it recorded on our box though & can check later.

Fiderer Thu 12-Dec-13 06:16:58

I missed ITT on Tuesday & yesterday - what did Karen Hardy & Ian say about Sat?

Scatter I did wonder who you were as Polka, iyswim.
<dim>

OodKingWenceslas Wed 11-Dec-13 19:54:56

The one long page has gone now andi can't have that anymore techs been playing all day.

birdbrain21 Wed 11-Dec-13 19:22:22

last time they did a swingathon they showed it much better, it didn't even show half the couples!!!

AndiMac Wed 11-Dec-13 14:44:12

Birdbrain, I view the threads all in one giant long page, so it wasn't that. Very strange it was!

I like the concept of the swingathon, but the actual execution is rubbish. Give us a chance to see everyone dancing at least!

ScatterGotStuckUpTheChimney Wed 11-Dec-13 14:38:32

(It's Polkadots by the way, I went back to my old name for doing my Christmas namechange).

ScatterGotStuckUpTheChimney Wed 11-Dec-13 14:33:13

I didn't mind the one that Ricky and Natalie and Chris and Ola did, but I suppose it wasn't really a swingathon. I don't think it really works how they did it this week. Couldn't they mark it like a real competition? The judges stand around the edge, everybody danced for two minutes and then they rank them?

I preferred the Viennese waltz, even though Ali and Brian bulldozered Anton and Laila and still came first confused, it was much prettier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now