Fairydust1986 Wed 06-Nov-13 22:59:04

Huge admiration for Leyla Hussein

Ginformation Sat 16-Nov-13 12:31:34

Petition now 81000.

Bumping for more!

LornMowa Thu 14-Nov-13 07:37:43

Signed. Petition now at 76500.

grimbletart Wed 13-Nov-13 17:02:46

just signed. Petition's now at nearly 76,000.

OvaryAction Wed 13-Nov-13 16:51:07

Good point Chicken I've noticed that, it's the same in RL. Very few people actually want to think about the horrible things that go on in this world, because with that knowledge comes a sense that you ought to be doing something about it.

Have just watched 'The Cruel Cut' & I was horrified(even though I was aware of FGM)& thought I'll see what the MNers have to say about it.
59 replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!hmmangrysad
Words fail me,the shit on here that reaches over 500 posts,but this is either being ignored or people are not aware of it.Have signed the petition.
Well done Layla (that's my dd's name,I hope she grows up to be half as strong a woman as you!!)

Wonderstuff Fri 08-Nov-13 20:26:13

Bump

I watched this today and I was very upset.its a totally barbaric custom.
The screams of the little girl having it donesad .

Not watched it yet cos I missed it, but recording it when it's repeated and already signed the petition.

firstpost Fri 08-Nov-13 17:36:10

Signed. Bump.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 08-Nov-13 17:24:20

52,000 signatures. half way there. please keep bumping and sharing.

HouseAtreides Fri 08-Nov-13 17:02:56

I have signed.

Marmotte3 Fri 08-Nov-13 15:32:04

I've only just seen this thread. I wish I could sign the petition but I'm not a UK resident or tax payer. I'm sure this is the case for many MN members.

Dotty342kids Thu 07-Nov-13 13:20:51

A really interesting and informative piece of television and my heart went out to all those amazing women who are speaking out and challenging their own communities.

Just signed and shared the petition, up to 29,000 now which is good, but nowhere near enough.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 09:49:47

I am quite interested in the mens' point of view.

Wonderstuff Thu 07-Nov-13 09:47:51

Leynas blog post is really insightful if you can't face the program. It comes down to mothers fearing their daughters will be ostracised, unable to marry, the whole family will have to face being seen as 'unclean' by the wider community. So whole families and communities have to take a stand, the mother alone doesn't have the power to say no.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 09:45:02

There is so much of it I don't understand. sad

Lastofthepodpeople Thu 07-Nov-13 09:42:41

Just signed the petition. I'm aware of FGM and my imagination is enough. I don't think I could face watching the programme.

Like others have said, I find it hard to understand how parents (especially mothers who've been through it themselves) can allow something like this to be done to their daughters.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 09:40:51
Wonderstuff Thu 07-Nov-13 09:34:19

Bumping thread, watch the program, sign the petition, this really has to stop.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 07-Nov-13 09:12:26

I will do that, thank you.

Have also emailed MP.

OvaryAction Thu 07-Nov-13 01:19:48

Bewitched yes, I work for an anti FGM charity

You could print off and circulate the appropriate guidelines and circulate them in local hospitals, maternity clinics, police stations, social services and schools?

I was looking into maternity guidelines earlier and the safest time to deinfibulate a pregnant woman is around 20 weeks, but no midwife I've ever met has any real idea about what FGM is, signs a woman has undergone it or what they can do to help them.

If FGM goes undetected and the woman's genitals remain closed, babies can be squashed and suffocated in the birth canal and women can suffer horrendous tearing and hemorrhaging. Both are at risk of death.

The people who could really make a difference are just so uninformed. It's such a horrible shame. I really hope Leyla's petition forces the government to get off their arses and sort this out.

Scarletohello Thu 07-Nov-13 01:09:12

MN has 4.5000,000 members.

Would a single one think this "cultural practice" should continue?

It could be the first time that every. single. one. of us agrees about something

^^
THIS

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 07-Nov-13 01:05:25

Sorry, I think I put 45 million members (they wish!) when it should have been four and a half million.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 07-Nov-13 01:02:22

Just after the programme there were 5,000 odd signatures to the petition.

Now it's 12,000 +

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Thu 07-Nov-13 00:52:47

I'm in Brighton.
Are you involved in this already Ovary?
Contacting MP? Of course, but that route to anything tends to be, let's say measured. At this precise moment I'd favour something more radical.

I have messaged MNHQ as well Gin, it would be the perfect cause for mumsnet.

That sounds flippant, I don't mean it to.

They have 4.5000,000 members.

Would a single one think this "cultural practice" should continue?

It could be the first time that every. single. one. of us agrees about something grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now