The Escape Artist - BBC1

(133 Posts)
difficultpickle Tue 29-Oct-13 21:44:32

Seems quite creepy but in a good way.

difficultpickle Sun 17-Nov-13 10:16:52

I thought the last episode was incredibly contrived. It made me wonder whether it was supposed to have five or six episodes but it got cut before production started and everything had to be crammed into the last episode. Shame as the first two episodes were excellent.

sleepdodger Sat 16-Nov-13 23:35:03

Watchingblush

sleepdodger Sat 16-Nov-13 23:34:43

Just finished smileTxhing shock

sparklysilversequins Sat 16-Nov-13 23:19:37

I don't know if she was cross, she just wanted to win, to find the flaw in his plan, to be Number one.

difficultpickle Sat 16-Nov-13 23:17:00

Why is Sophie so cross that DT was going to get off? I would have thought she was glad Foyle was dead.

IamMummyhearmeROAR Sat 16-Nov-13 22:25:32

Was it Canty Bay Brainwashed? When I taught in Edinburgh years ago we used to take our infant classes there for their summer trip. Looked very familiar to me

Davros Sat 16-Nov-13 19:05:13

It was definitely not coincidence that DT saw him in that pub

brainwashed Sat 16-Nov-13 17:56:48

I'm just disappointed I didn't know when they were filming this...the beach scenes are very very local to me!

Tuhlulah Fri 15-Nov-13 17:27:22

So it appears the true escape artist was the story, in that it escaped having a plausible plot.

sparklysilversequins Fri 15-Nov-13 09:53:20

I did thoroughly enjoy it though. I would love to see a series - Will, the barrister who got away with murder, brilliant grin. Also I am mad about DT now.

JumpJockey Fri 15-Nov-13 09:38:58

I thought the guy at the climbing wall had somehow got Foyle's bank card number - 4 lots of 4 numbers? - so they could trace his address - i.e. the place in the forest. Otherwise it's all far too much of a 'coincidence'. Still not convinced by the whole spotting him in a pub part of the story. And how come the pub had a loo big enough for your average shopping centre?!

DH (medical type) said they'd never cremate a murder victim, far too much chance for need for a second post-mortem.

Oh and the tea looked like a Fortnum and Mason tin to me!

BrianButterfield Fri 15-Nov-13 08:27:08

I thought the dodgy guy hacked into Doyle's computer - he said "Ben Alludin" (sp? Can't remember the exact name) and you were supposed to think it was a person but it was the name of the mountain.

Davros Fri 15-Nov-13 07:53:22

Didn't his dodgy mate put some tracking thing in Foyles clothes when he was at the climbing walll? Just have to hope he wears the same pants!

sparklysilversequins Fri 15-Nov-13 00:52:29

There not their

sparklysilversequins Fri 15-Nov-13 00:48:57

It was obviously a specific tea that she drinks. Doyle asked her and she just said "my tea", it was obviously a THE brand of tea.

What I don't get is how Will knew Foyle was up their on his Jollys at all confused.

nennypops Thu 14-Nov-13 21:57:57

She just wanted to be cleverer. Him mentioning cremation spoilt that though it was plainly absurd. How could he have known that would happen, let alone influence it.

I don't think he either knew it would happen or influenced it. However, he would probably have known that Foyle had been cremated because someone would have been pestering the lawyers for the body to be released for that purpose - it wouldn't be released till the defence lawyers agreed in case they wanted the post mortem checked

He banked on the fact that it would never occur to anyone to check the injection site. When Sophie came up with her triumphant piece of potential evidence, he realised it would get her nowhere because another post mortem would be impossible. But I think that was sheer good luck for him - the escape artist winning again.

Mumbrage Thu 14-Nov-13 11:51:32

whatever it was that somebody knew, i'd have been more worried that it got in to her apartment, rather than whatever it was he somehow knew

I thought it was tea, too. It looked like a Harrogate tea tin, if I recall correctly.

I did enjoy this drama (as I enjoy anything with my favourite David in it - SDTG does stand for StayingDavidTennantsGirl, after all blush), but the plot was full of holes.

Clawdy Thu 14-Nov-13 10:09:23

I thought Maggie's gift was her favourite tea,too. But she whispered "How did he know?" and as Foyle had seen and commented on her choice of tea that didn't make sense? Found the use of all those"accomplices" near the end very confusing too. But have to say I was gripped throughout.

fancyanotherfez Wed 13-Nov-13 21:18:17

I've just watched the last part of this and I agree- Completely implausible that any of that would have happened. Also agree about the female lawyers. All Tara and Maggie seemed to portray about female lawyers was that they were unable to show compassion and be successful, like the men! The male lawyers were doing what they could to help but they seemed to relish getting one over on him. Why? Why was Maggie so devastated at the end that Foyle had been cremated? Because someone she knew, a supposed friend may not go to prison for the rest of his life? Especially in those circumstances? Just because it was more important for her to get one over on him? It was all ridiculous!

hattymattie Wed 13-Nov-13 20:33:43

grin - member I don't understand why they didn't just mention an obviously Scottish locality.

So all in all this series was badly researched for law, medical facts and geography!

member Wed 13-Nov-13 20:04:07

Kielder is in Northumberland mostly but there are little bits which are just over the official border. It's complicated because there is a lot of woodland adjoining Keilder on the Scottish side which is officially Kershope wood but is often known as Keilder. Certainly a bit dodgy knowing which side of the border you were actually on when among all those trees!

Tuhlulah Wed 13-Nov-13 20:02:13

Dear lord save us from a second series.

hattymattie Wed 13-Nov-13 19:57:23

Nope 6 I just looked at a map!

Davros Wed 13-Nov-13 19:50:37

I thought it was in Scotland and he went there deliberately to get that third available verdict "unproven"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now