The Escape Artist - BBC1

(133 Posts)
difficultpickle Tue 29-Oct-13 21:44:32

Seems quite creepy but in a good way.

purpleprincess Tue 29-Oct-13 22:37:04

Please can someone with some legal knowledge explain the bit about Foyle being released? Couldn't they just choose another jury. If that could actually happen in 'real life' then thats a tad worrying (and from trailer for next week it could happen again in next episode)

TIA. confused

difficultpickle Tue 29-Oct-13 22:41:05

I'm a lawyer (although not criminal law) and I didn't understand it either blush. I wasn't paying close attention at that point but I don't understand why he was set free rather than it being declared a mistrial and getting him retried.

purpleprincess Tue 29-Oct-13 22:45:34

Thanks bisjo. Would be ridiculous is they put something in that is legally inaccurate as assume they wood check all this out, however still not as ridiculous as going up to creep cottage on own after scary man appeared at window and DT actually letting her go in her own....hmm

difficultpickle Tue 29-Oct-13 22:48:34

I wonder if it was a plot contrivance like the cottage return.

eddiemairswife Tue 29-Oct-13 22:49:21

Would anyone in their right mind go back to that cottage after being spied upon in the bath? I wouldn't have done, even if my husband had been with me; but then I'm a real person not a character in a drama.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Tue 29-Oct-13 22:50:34

They said they couldn't have a retrial as the information had already gone out on social media and they apparently had no hope of getting an unbiased jury after that.

Which I think was a bit of a cop out.

It was still great though. I was a bit worried by the preview of the next episode, it all seems to be getting a bit ludicrous, but I'm not going to prejudge! It was really, really good.

difficultpickle Tue 29-Oct-13 22:51:08

eddie if you didn't go back to the cottage then you couldn't be murdered and episode 2 would be less interesting grin

purpleprincess Tue 29-Oct-13 22:51:47

Yes appreciate that can't base characters actions on what people would do in real life but it has to be believable. However do think they should get the legal stuff correct. Maybe they did? I just want someone to explain it to me! Please.

difficultpickle Tue 29-Oct-13 22:53:02

Hold I'd be surprised if the trial judge could decide that there and then. I'd have thought it was matter for the CPS to apply for a retrial and it be decided at that stage? Would have made the plot a bit slower though!

BonaDea Tue 29-Oct-13 22:55:20

I think as was mentioned above. They said that the press coverage (or social media?) was such that no jury could be unbiased and therefore no fair trial was possible. That can legitimately happen but would imagine it isn't quite as straightforward for the defence barrister to engineer as made out!

SuburbanRhonda Tue 29-Oct-13 22:59:10

Loved it - anything with DT in does it for me.

The killer was brilliantly cast. So menacing, with his faux good manners and barely concealed rage. <shudder>

Can't bear the inevitable autopsy report when Will finds out his wife was pregnant sad

out2lunch Wed 30-Oct-13 00:32:00

very holey plot - shame really

I was pleased for the actress getting a good part in this drama....

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 30-Oct-13 08:38:02

I stopped watching after the boy waved at some man and the woman started running a bath. Too scared. shock grin Did it not end well?

Elliptic5 Wed 30-Oct-13 08:55:55

I didn't understand him being released either, guessed it was some sort of technicality but it all happened very quickly.
Didn't like the ending (but thought the dog was also going to get hurt) don't know if I'll watch again.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 30-Oct-13 08:59:54

Elliptic, me too with the dog.

Any human body count is fine by me, but will someone please think of the animals! wink

hattymattie Wed 30-Oct-13 09:06:01

I'm not a lawyer but I thought if somebody presented a potential danger to society they were refused bail. I thought it was brilliant but could not understand why he was released in the first place.

MrsDe Wed 30-Oct-13 13:43:16

I couldn't watch it after the waving incident either Upto. Oh dear, knew it would end badly (and I do love my baths so couldnt' watch). Could someone tell me what happened...did he break in and kill her in the bath?

Ellenora5 Wed 30-Oct-13 13:54:55

I found it very predictable, not sure I'll bother with next week.

MrsDe, he went back to the cottage in the next few days and killed her in the sitting room, the son was hiding in the toy box.

jodee Wed 30-Oct-13 16:35:23

Predictable, but will be watching again all the same. Didn't expect serial killer at window, but wondered why wifey of barrister didn't recognise him peering at her, her husband had just got him off, he would be in the papers, surely!

Lesson: always shake the hand of a serial killer!

(or was it him at all??)

nennypops Wed 30-Oct-13 20:11:08

I think casting Ashley Jensen as the wife was very cunning - I assumed they'd never get someone like her in only to kill her off quickly.

But I wonder whether Sophie thing is really wise to take on the defence. Surely she'd have to worry that if she gets him off she's next on the lisyt?

Clawdy Wed 30-Oct-13 20:55:32

I wondered that, jodee ,could there be a twist where he isn't the killer after all?

GeorginaWorsley Wed 30-Oct-13 21:20:54

I thought that about Ashley Jensen too

Ellenora5 Thu 31-Oct-13 00:27:02

Oh now you have made me think, maybe he wasn't the killer, is she still alive??? ah fair play Georgina, Clawdy, neeny and jodee you have changed my mind and I will watch next week smile maybe it's not as predictable as I thought it was!!!

MrsDe Thu 31-Oct-13 08:46:04

But didn't you see him killing her (have ti bring myself to watch it on I player. Switched off as was too scared!!).

SuburbanRhonda Thu 31-Oct-13 08:49:36

Does make you wonder why it's called "The Escape Artist".

Does the killer get off again? thlshock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now