Downton Abbey continued

(1000 Posts)
AndHarry Mon 07-Oct-13 17:55:08

Following on from the first thread...

It took me ages to get to sleep last night. I'm not particularly maudlin in general but that was shocking.

Predictions: Isabel and Mosley die.

DelphiSwimsLate Sun 20-Oct-13 22:19:29

Yes Bates is a cross teddy bear now. I think he knows it's Green too.

AndHarry Sun 20-Oct-13 22:19:37

Hate Bates. I'm still scrubbing my retinas from the post-coital shot. He's so miserable and martyrish all the time. I like Anna though smile

Poor old Edith doesn't have much luck.

Chubfuddler Sun 20-Oct-13 22:25:53

Edith is experiencing KARMA

it doesn't exist except in the fevered imaginings of script and novel writers.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 20-Oct-13 22:31:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProphetOfDoom Sun 20-Oct-13 22:33:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nessalina Sun 20-Oct-13 22:34:51

Ah, found the thread! How did searching for 'Downton' on the app not pick it up! hmm Silly MN app.

Ooh, genuinely worried for Edith, I have to say I always though he was rather a nice chap the Editor. If he turns out to be a bad 'un then uncle Julian has been uncharacteristically subtle about showing it!

I reckon the letter teased this week will be from the editor and will say something along the lines of:
"Dearest Edith, hope you won't think me a frightful cad, but having given it some thought, I think you're just too good for me. I hope it won't come as too much of a shock but having successfully divorced my mad wife (thanks to your counter-signing the adultery admittance) I've decided to marry the Countess Von Richknickers. Auf weidersehn pet."

GeorginaWorsley Sun 20-Oct-13 22:40:54

Ha ha,ness
Leaving Edith with small problem to deal with.
Must be some significance to that letter signing.
Plus,what going on with Dowger and new gardener?

nicelyneurotic Sun 20-Oct-13 22:41:28

Brilliant letter Nellasina I think you're right although I hope it doesn't happen.

Moln Sun 20-Oct-13 22:41:33

Why can't they let something nice happen for Edith? Mesnues

That was, as predicted, far more triggering than the event itself. Bates is a dangerous man and Anna is afraid of him on some level. She's so sure he'd kill a person - as he himself attests - that his previous acquittal (which I never believed in) is looking pretty shaky.

And I do not believe she would move straight back in. It wasn't her shame that made her afraid to be touched.

Julian Fellowes was on Classic FM earlier today and said the story will be running for the next five weeks (ie today plus four) and the Christmas special.

phantomnamechanger Sun 20-Oct-13 22:47:26

Oh good, Mr & Mrs Bates are back together (sob) but will they (and we) be allowed a proper happy ending. I hope he does not do anyone in! He might kill an innocent man to revenge anna then she would have that to bear too, even if Bates never got found out!

edith def upduffed and dumped!

Chubfuddler Sun 20-Oct-13 22:47:54

I have always thought bates killed his wife. I was astonished when after he was acquitted he didn't confess to Anna.

AuntyEntropy Sun 20-Oct-13 22:50:04

I too was totally taken in by editor. I thought he might turn out to be a teeny bit of a Nazi I grant you, but I never doubted that he had a mad wife and really loved Edith. I can't believe I fell for it. I've read Can Jane Eyre Be Happy? (Answer: no of course not, Rochester is creepy as fuck) and spent hours rubbernecking on the Relationships where I should have been trained to ask "Have you met his family? Do you have any proof about his mad wife? Have you had that piece of paper checked by a competent solicitor? (Not your late BIL, obvs)". It's Elizabeth Archer and Cameron Fraser all over again.

Darkesteyes Sun 20-Oct-13 22:52:12

So whats happened with Ediths boyf Has he done a runner?

Chubfuddler Sun 20-Oct-13 22:53:02

Edith is really quite thick isn't she? Taken in by fake Patrick. Taken in by editor. Wake up Edith.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 20-Oct-13 22:54:57

Gosh,just had a terrible thought.
Fellows wouldn't put Tom and Edith together would he???

Chubfuddler Sun 20-Oct-13 22:58:01

Could someone please explain whst Edith's parents think is the deal with editor bounder? Do they think he's just her editor? Do they know he's married?

Darkesteyes Sun 20-Oct-13 22:59:15

Looked upthread Think ive got the gist of it.

GeorginaWorsley Sun 20-Oct-13 23:12:46

Don't think they know he's married

Nessalina Sun 20-Oct-13 23:17:57

I don't think they give a rat's arse what Edith does to be honest! I think they've mostly given her up as a bad job, and will be pleasantly surprised if she nets anyone under 60 without a melty face. grin

eddiemairswife Sun 20-Oct-13 23:20:05

Could Edith have gone to the doctor to try and find out about the 'mad' wife? I may be getting forgetful, but what has happened to Edna and where did Baxter spring from?

DelphiSwimsLate Sun 20-Oct-13 23:30:49

Edna got sent off by mrs h last week for trying to screw over Tom. Baxter was hired following a recommendation from Thomas, although we're not sure how they know each other yet - thinking they could be siblings.

I'm not sure Edith is pregnant you know. She looked too calm and happy coming back to Downton.

Love that letter Ness. Think you could be right!

MadameGazelleIsMyMum Mon 21-Oct-13 05:35:17

Unless she is happy about it? Poss because it hasn't yet dawned on her that editor has done one?

rootypig Mon 21-Oct-13 05:48:26

I'm not sure Edith is pregnant you know. She looked too calm and happy coming back to Downton.

Loving the implication that pregnancy immediately induces a state of unrest totally borne out by my own experience grin

BranchingOut Mon 21-Oct-13 06:56:14

Maybe she went to the Dr to get 1920's contraceptive advice?

Also, back then pregnancy tests were not immediate - I think it involved injecting your urine into a frog. I learned this on MN, so it must be true.

This thread is not accepting new messages.