Downton Abbey continued

(1000 Posts)
AndHarry Mon 07-Oct-13 17:55:08

Following on from the first thread...

It took me ages to get to sleep last night. I'm not particularly maudlin in general but that was shocking.

Predictions: Isabel and Mosley die.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Netherlands Tue 08-Oct-13 00:30:21

I thought Anna was trying to teach Bates a lesson, that he can't be rude to people the way he was (like Mr Moseley thought he was too). You know, like when toddlers have pushed another over you make a fuss of the one who's been pushed. She wasn't actually flirting with him.

Sunnymeg Tue 08-Oct-13 09:06:41

I'm a bit mystified, surely Green knew that Bates had been in prison and may not be the sort of man to cross. That seems to have been conveniently forgotten.

diddl Germany Tue 08-Oct-13 09:12:08

Perhaps he's banking on Anna saying nothing.

Won't it become obvious when Anna's pregnant?

She will be, won't she?

And then Bates will realise what happened?

ppeatfruit Tue 08-Oct-13 09:14:42

OMG I didn't watch it poor Anna sad I'm going to watch the sunday teatime repeats because it's on too late for me (in Fr we're an hour later) . It'll be interesting to see if they calm the scene a bit.

Tribpot WRF to the lord serving the staff at Xmas; that's a VERY old tradition called 'The Lord of Misrule' or something so not an anachronism at all!

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 08-Oct-13 09:17:27

Anna is bound to be pregnant. Really was not expecting that to happen watched it a day later so saw a lot of 'poor Anna' comments on here and FB I assumed that Edna had set her up again- was so shocked when I saw it sad

ppeatfruit Tue 08-Oct-13 09:30:53

Why didl can't Bates get it up?

diddl Germany Tue 08-Oct-13 09:43:58

Well they've been married a while & no kids, so if she's raped & becomes pregnant, wouldn't the assumption be that it's not her husband's?

VeeAndTea Tue 08-Oct-13 09:59:10

I know this isn't a popular view, but I thought it was excellent. It had to be shocking, it's a shocking event and something we should feel uncomfortable about. The MN WBY campaign proved how many rape myths are still believed and how many people use them to alleviate their own discomfort. But 1 in 4 women are survivors of sexual violence, imagine how much higher that figure would have been then. DA has a great opportunity here.

Although I would have liked a "If you are affected by this storyline, please call Rape Crisis on...

ppeatfruit Tue 08-Oct-13 10:26:27

Maybe Bates and Anna practice withdrawal which can go wrong.

VeeAndTea You're right of course it wasn't talked about even in the middle decade and onwards of the last century let alone earlier (when nothing at all of a sexual nature was discussed in 'proper' homes) shock

VeeAndTea Tue 08-Oct-13 10:31:22

ppeatfruit, exactly.

Can't remember how much we were told in series 1 about Bates's (war?) injury - maybe that's to blame for lack of sprogs.

VeeAndTea hear hear

Animation Tue 08-Oct-13 11:53:07

I wanted Anna to give full reign to her anger in that last scene when she was talking to Bates - and the rapist valet said goodnight and she said goodnight back! Aaarrrrgggg!!

She could have at least said she'd been attacked to Bates even if she'd not wanted to disclose the rape at that point.

thelittlemothersucker Tue 08-Oct-13 12:24:47

Thomas will bump Green off is my prediction. He likes Anna. Molsesley will get Green's job.

KillerKoalaFace Tue 08-Oct-13 13:24:57

I hope it happens that way little.

Only watched it this morning and I found it difficult viewing.

Wishfulmakeupping Tue 08-Oct-13 15:35:55

Yes I hope so too little

Be nice to see Thomas doing a good deed. Do we expect anything else on the sacked nanny story, either for Thomas or the children?

SalveRibena Tue 08-Oct-13 16:30:16

Has O'Brien permanently gone or is she primed to come back at a surprising moment?

I actually like Edith's new bloke - not sure why people think he's a wrong 'un... I also spotted that the card sharp was a card sharp, it was so obvious.

I agree that maybe Thomas will bump off evil valet. He is definitely softening up a bit, maybe ready to become a goody rather than a baddie?

Llareggub Tue 08-Oct-13 16:58:53

No, let's get shot of Molesley. I'm sick of seeing his hangdog face. Bates too. I really don't get why women fawn over him.

Animation Tue 08-Oct-13 17:18:08

Always thought Thomas and O'Brien didn't like Anna and Bates?

newgirl Tue 08-Oct-13 17:25:15

I really like ediths journo bloke - for her not me obv

MadBusLady Tue 08-Oct-13 17:54:32

I like him increasingly, but I still think he has a Past. He didn't learn to beat cardsharps by living a blameless life.

MaireadnotMermaid Tue 08-Oct-13 21:45:00

Awful. Couldn't get to sleep that night. Kept hearing the theme tune in my head.

LateBloomer414 Tue 08-Oct-13 23:10:02

Shamelessly marking a place....

I agree MadBusLady and Llareggub. Wouldn't put it past O'Brien to pop up again.

tribpot Wed 09-Oct-13 19:04:03

Does Edith have any proof that the first Mrs Cardsharp is a lunatic?

This thread is not accepting new messages.