harrow-a very British school?

(111 Posts)
scrummummy Wed 11-Sep-13 20:09:18

is anyone watching or is there a thread?

cardibach Wed 11-Sep-13 22:21:55

I'm really enjoying it too - though I agree the fees are bonkers and I don't really get boarding for most people (can see some cases where it is logistically necessary).
I'm impressed with the housemaster - up and dressed before he wakes them, at every heat of every competition, dealing with injuries...must be damn near 18 hour days. And he seems so nice, and they really respect him. I'm a teacher and I'm a little bit in awe.

valiumredhead Wed 11-Sep-13 22:46:39

Love this too!

Primrose123 Wed 11-Sep-13 22:56:37

I'm really enjoying this show. Does anyone know how the boys get accepted? Is it on ability or can anyone go if they've got the money?

Not that we're considering it, I don't have any sons! DD was interested to know if the boys had to pass an exam to go there.

DalmationDots Wed 11-Sep-13 23:34:16

If I don't have sky and am not prepared to pay, there is no way I can watch this is there?
Would be really interested!

BadLad Thu 12-Sep-13 06:58:07

I'm dying to know if any MNers have sons there.

I don't, but I have stayed there. I took the scholarship exam there - didn't get a scholarship but got an unconditional place (full fees). Stayed in one of the houses for a few nights. I remember there being a plate of money in the room I stayed in - about thirty pounds in coins. Was so tempted but thought it might have been part of the test.

The boys there were extremely nice, but my mother was very unimpressed by their general appearance. When she dropped me off, the boys she asked for looked extremely scruffy, and she remarked afterwards, in what must have sounded like Hyacinth crossed with Katie Hopkins that she had never seen such expensively dressed, well-spoken, scruffy looking sods in all her life.

Therefore I ended up taking common entrance and going somewhere else.

Butkin Thu 12-Sep-13 12:06:50

33,000 doesn't seem too bad for Eton. The local (very ordinary by comparison) boarding schools to us are about 26,000 per year.

Virtually everybody we know, and certainly the vast majority of DD's current class (Yr6) are planning to board from 13. Only 1 of the boys in her class didn't go to board at age 8 whilst they were replaced with the "State til 8s".

valiumredhead Thu 12-Sep-13 12:11:58

I was surprised at the fees, thought they would be much more.

Merrylegs Thu 12-Sep-13 12:17:00

Am enjoying it - DS's old head is now head of Harrow but he hasn't featured much. He was as pleased as punch to get the gig though. He is young (for a head) and rather charismatic.

Dobbiesmum Thu 12-Sep-13 13:10:15

I wish the VoiceOver didn't go over every detail after the ad breaks, it's getting on my nerves, no matter how nice Miles Jupp's voice is, hearing him saying the same thing over and over again is getting on my nerves..
I didn't like the first episode very much tbh, last night's as good though.
Felt so sorry for the lad with the broken collar bone! And Fabian thinking he'd let everyone down as well.

Dobbiesmum Thu 12-Sep-13 13:11:49

Btw, I stayed in Harrow a few years ago, whereabouts is the nice part with the millions of parts of the school? The bit we stayed in was a very boring town centre with loads of traffic.

AlfieandAnnieRose Thu 12-Sep-13 13:18:12

It's repeated on sky 2 tonight at 8pm if anyone missed it

picnicbasketcase Thu 12-Sep-13 13:20:57

I'm enjoying the programme but that 'hum-ba-dum-ba-da-ba-hum' music is annoying me.

valiumredhead Thu 12-Sep-13 13:23:25

Ds really loved the singinggrin

valiumredhead Thu 12-Sep-13 13:23:45

He wants to go there!

We are enjoying it too although only watched first episode as waiting to watch with DH.

A friend's DS is going next year I think. He already boards.

My DS was amazed they referred to Prep. He is at a Prep school now but was at an international school previously where it was referred to as bog standard homework and he thought it was only his school that called it prep. Bless!

nextyearitsbigschool Thu 12-Sep-13 13:29:09

They come over as lovely boys and it is such a lovely school. I wish I had ££3k a year spare because I think my DS would be great there.

I am fascinated by this programme - it's a glimpse into a a world that I'd otherwise have no chance of seeing. The boys seem really nice - friendly and funny. I really loved 'Big D'!

There is a part of me that would have loved to send the dses somewhere like this - though I don't think I would have wanted to send them away from home at only 13. Tbh, I got teary enough dropping ds2 off at his university digs last weekend. blush

Kikibee Thu 12-Sep-13 21:04:52

My bil's dad was a teacher there, he seems a jolly nice chap smile

Davros Thu 12-Sep-13 21:27:49

It's a rule that the kids who go to the poshest, most expensive schools have to be the scruffiest. Think St Trinians

umiaisha Thu 12-Sep-13 21:37:16

Dobbiesmum - the school is on the hill very close to the very boring and a bit rundown town centre. Only about 5/10 minutes walk away. Occasionally you see the boys in the town and they look so out of place!

maggiethecat Fri 13-Sep-13 00:22:32

Friend's son just left there, bright, polite and really nice kid. His Cambridge place was almost guaranteed. Very ordinary family with a very talented child.
Shame I don't have Sky to watch it.

BlackMogul Fri 13-Sep-13 00:37:02

Girls go to Cheltenham LC, Heathfield, Wycombe Abbey, Benenden, as well as to all the boys schools who needed them !

78bunion Fri 13-Sep-13 06:53:47

We know lots of people there. It is a nice house which they picked for the film, although I don't think most children, overall, benefit from boarding schools.

upjacobscreekwithoutapaddle Fri 13-Sep-13 14:26:57

Dobbiesmum, come out the back of Harrow On The Hill station, do a left,at the light go right and after a few minutes' walk you will start hitting the school buildings. The really beautiful bits are kind of tucked in around the back. I was (am?) pretty familiar with the school as an ex was a housemaster there so I was part of it for many years. Its an amazing place and affords a lot of opportunities for many of the boys but it isn't for all and some of them don't live in the 'real' world at all (and probably never will) smile

valiumredhead Fri 13-Sep-13 14:36:40

I wonder if any children never settle and end up going home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now