grand designs 2013 - will there be polish builders this time?

(219 Posts)
MousyMouse Tue 03-Sep-13 23:41:54

starts tomorrow.
sooo excited!

how many pregnant ladies?
major building desasters?
blown budgets?

MousyMouse Wed 04-Sep-13 21:01:59

settles down with a bag of chrisps and brew

nemno Wed 04-Sep-13 21:03:41

Thanks for reminding me grin

MissBartlett Wed 04-Sep-13 21:04:35

Ooh it looks promising..surely nothing can go wrong with converting a 1920s cinema. And they've got no experience. How unusual wink

MousyMouse Wed 04-Sep-13 21:06:52

concrete concrete concrete...
but the floorplan actually looks sensible.

Roshbegosh Wed 04-Sep-13 21:07:40

Polish builders, is there any other kind?

MousyMouse Wed 04-Sep-13 21:10:28

rosh that is exactly my point. polish builders are everywhere and doing -quite often- good quality work.
just not on grand designs.

MousyMouse Wed 04-Sep-13 21:25:13

I rather like the wooded concrete.

Meglet Wed 04-Sep-13 21:28:46

I tried to not judge Katie Jo for her pink builders helmet. But the floor removal incident has pushed me into judging mode.

MousyMouse Wed 04-Sep-13 21:44:49

aircraft hangar door - I don't want to live there when that doesn't close properly. hope she gets a sensible solution.

WetAugust Wed 04-Sep-13 21:57:50

Too much natural concrete for me. Pool is a bit naff. I expect someone will but it one day and plaster/paint/tile the concrete.

WetAugust Wed 04-Sep-13 21:59:01

Too much natural concrete for me. Pool is a bit naff. I expect someone will but it one day and plaster/paint/tile the concrete.

MissBartlett Wed 04-Sep-13 22:19:10

I thought the same about the door - what happens when it won't close 20 mins before the school run. I liked it, and them, and amazing what £450k got them, but it wouldn't be for me. Wouldn't that wood effect concrete get v dusty?

WetAugust Wed 04-Sep-13 22:27:47

Don't think the wood flooring next to the hydraulically opened door will last long if the wind blows the rain in.

Looks novel but is it really practical except for a few days a year?

OhYouBadBadDragon Wed 04-Sep-13 22:31:55

Had to tape it so ignoring thread bak tomorrow lalalala

KatoPotato Wed 04-Sep-13 23:03:30

Anyone notice the funeral parlour across the road?

BlueSkySunnyDay Thu 05-Sep-13 09:46:38

I (kind of) eventually thought the door was clever but no way would I sit under it, I kind of felt they would come to curse it eventually - how long it takes to open and when it inevitably goes wrong.

I liked them though, they were very good natured.

I liked the pool blush

Hated the new over hang at the top, they should have left the façade as it was.

BMW6 Thu 05-Sep-13 10:01:46

With all that concrete [boak] it'll be a bitch to keep warm in the depths of winter surely?

FruOla Thu 05-Sep-13 10:38:28

Oh damn I missed it.

Actually, your descriptions have reminded me that someone posted a link to an article about that house quite recently.

HormonalHousewife Thu 05-Sep-13 10:45:02

I thought it was lovely. I could live in something like that.

A bit tooo much concrete in some spaces though, I would have hated using the bathroom looked too austere and prison like.

Though the area looked awful though. If I'd spent close to half a million I wouldnt want to be there snob who searched rightmove

FruOla Thu 05-Sep-13 10:46:41
WetAugust Thu 05-Sep-13 13:19:45

Did we see the restored green/black original polished concrete floor at the end?

I was a bit disappointed. Saw the trailer and thought - Yes, will enjoy seeing the original Art Deco features etc. Except for the façade there didn't seem to be many in the completed house. I suppose the rear was a modernised version of Art Deco with its verandahs etc.

Wrong building for that area and too overlooked by surrounding housing.

Meglet Thu 05-Sep-13 17:19:29

wetaugust Katie Jo concreted over the original floor shock.

That electronic door was great fun, until it breaks. What if it broke in the open position hmm. I'd hope it had a manual override function if the electrics went.

WetAugust Thu 05-Sep-13 17:54:12

I missed that bit sad

I don't think Kev was overly impressed. It wasn't a patch on the couple who created a brand new Art Deco house a few series ago - he was a pilot and they had trouble reproducing the curves if remember.

What we saw last night was naff. Big, blingy and naff.

noddyholder Thu 05-Sep-13 17:55:25

I have Polish guys atm really good and the finish is fantastic. They rub everything down over and over though (matron)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now