Nick Hewer on Who do you think you are

(17 Posts)
invicta Mon 02-Sep-13 21:49:54

I found the potted history of Irish history interesting, and I learnt a lot.

I don't normally watch the programme as ifind it a bit contrived. They always seem to be interested in someone who,they hadn't heard of until taking part in the programme, so I find it a bit false.

cleopatrasasp Mon 02-Sep-13 14:17:13

Yes, the beard joke was silly and uncalled for.

SJisontheway Mon 02-Sep-13 13:32:47

I thought the Irish side of his family tree was really facinating. I missed the beard joke though. That would probably have put me off.

cleopatrasasp Mon 02-Sep-13 13:28:58

I thought his relatives' lives were really interesting so I enjoyed the episode a lot. I found the Una Stubbs one the most boring so far this series.

Dobbiesmum Sat 31-Aug-13 07:54:50

This series has been fairly boring but tbh I found Gary Lineker much more smug than NH. How many references did he need to make to being famous?
I think the researchers must be running out of famous people..

YouAreTheOneAndYoni Sat 31-Aug-13 00:04:16

Oh nooo, I hate that. I'm definitely in the 'over 16-18? Then they're women!' camp.

MardyBra Sat 31-Aug-13 00:02:48

Haven't watched it yet but I hate the way he refers to the women candidates on The Apprentice as "girls".

YouAreTheOneAndYoni Fri 30-Aug-13 23:56:28

Yes, seems less tangible than someone in the early 1900s. They only did it because the guy played an important role in some battle.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 30-Aug-13 23:46:08

I think it's quite boring when they go back so far. The people they find out about are so distant that it's hard to imagine any connection exists.

curlew Fri 30-Aug-13 23:45:28

I agree. And it was dull. So, both sexist and boring. Shame- I really liked Nick Hewer until I watched it.

ShatnersBassoon Fri 30-Aug-13 23:41:51

Doesn't everyone have family in-jokes like that?

YouAreTheOneAndYoni Fri 30-Aug-13 23:36:45

I got bored tbh, especially of his smug face! grin

He's a bit of a know-it-all.

There was an interesting bit where they went back 11 generations or something which seems further than other people. NH seemed to do more of the explaining than the experts and the narrator though.

Bowlersarm Fri 30-Aug-13 18:52:10

I got distracted. (Probably MNing!). So it didn't grab my attention, almighty it was on. I can't remember how it went now.

Minds you, I'm finding the series a bit dull so far.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 30-Aug-13 18:48:49

Normally I would watch WDYTYA, but could not bring myself to watch Nick Hewer. He has such a smug look on his face that I can't bear to look at. So missed it. Was it a good episode? Or was it one of those where not much happens and you're left wondering why you bothered?

YouAreTheOneAndYoni Fri 30-Aug-13 09:22:04

I was thinking that too! Have watched a bit more and so far no more hmm moments.

Bowlersarm Thu 29-Aug-13 19:07:52

I picked up on it. But it didn't bother me. Maybe I'm too easy going about these things? (Thought she looked really sweet in the photo-hard to imagine her as a bearded lady, is what I was mainly thinking)

YouAreTheOneAndYoni Thu 29-Aug-13 19:03:45

I felt moved to make my first complaint to anywhere ever after watching just 5 mins of this and was wondering if anyone else picked up on the same thing that bothered me.

Nick is shown talking to his cousin about their aunt. He starts by saying that she was unattractive and that he was usually reluctant to kiss her because of her beard. Fair enough he didn't want to kiss her, but is it really necessary to explain the details and describe her as unattractive?

He then goes on to say that she was a spinster hmm and his cousin cuts in to say 'well yes, she would be, with a beard'. Nick then laughs.

I was quite surprised to see this as it doesn't fit the tone of WDYTYA. Really stupid sexist conversation I thought. Not really necessary. (Unless it turns out the aunt was actually a man later? Not sure I can bring myself to watch the rest.)

Am I the only one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now