The White Queen- Part 2

(121 Posts)
Chunderella Tue 20-Aug-13 19:48:44

Because lots of people seemed to still have interesting things to say when the other thread got full up. And also because I think I want to have a threesome with Lord Stanley and Margaret Beaufort.

grin At threesome. Stanley's beard would get in the way surely?

I've said it before but the series has got me really interested in this period in history.

I felt so sorry for Richard at the end, his only son dead, wife too, and betrayed by Stanley to be slaughtered on the battlefield. What a horrible, bloody period in history.

If I visited Warwick castle would I be disappointed?

Chunderella Tue 20-Aug-13 20:02:03

Like Lord Flashheart, I enjoy something to hold onto.

Chickengirl Tue 20-Aug-13 20:04:37

Warwick castle gets more theme park like every year unfortunately. Don't recommend you go until schools are back either, it's been crazily busy this summer.

Chunderella Wed 21-Aug-13 10:43:45

Also I think most of it was filmed in Belgium, you might have more fun there!

ladymontdore Wed 21-Aug-13 14:24:23

I need serious help! Started watching the series on iplayer when had a lurgy a few days ago - now totally addicted, but only on ep 6 and it finishes on iplayer soon and I'm on hols on Friday - I'm going to have to stay up all night! It's not even like we don't know what happens, but I'm loving it, stair-rails and all.
V impressed with Anne Neville being able to do very complicated plaits all by herself. I do find Margaret B's face kind of distracting in the way it twitches, wrinkles and dimples all over.
Re the witchcraft, I don't think it matters that magic spells obviously don't work as at the time people believed that they did, so could have done it entirely seriously (and I guess just forgotten about the times it didn't work).

BinarySolo Wed 21-Aug-13 14:35:46

Yes but Richard announced to the whole court that his wife was baron and essentially that he was looking for a new one. He publicly humiliated her and courted his niece.

I really hope they continue. I've learnt so much and it's given me a love of history I never had. I'm going to read the books now too.

littlemissnormal Wed 21-Aug-13 14:46:01

The books are brilliant. I've just started The White Princess which is about Elizabeth of York and starts with her finding out Richard has been defeated and tells how they were to be married.
The Sunne in Splendour is also a brilliant book about that period of time and is a lot more pro-Richard.

AgnesBligg Thu 22-Aug-13 18:37:10

A new thread - well done on that.

Poor poor Richard. Someone on the other thread said it was cheesy but I think it was well done. Frightening and stanley's charge was impressive. Also liked thta the action was speeded up, rather than slowed down (which would have been a giant block of cheddar).

i haven't read that he announced to everyone that Anne was barren. It was fucking hard being a woman in the olden days.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 22-Aug-13 18:44:01

I felt like it ended too soon. I'd have loved to see the next bit with Elizabeth of York meeting then marrying Henry. Seemed a bit abrupt to end before he-who-was-born-to-be-king actually followed through (ignoring the bit where he took Richard's crown). And I felt sorry for Richard too, knowing how he actually died from the King in the car park stuff, made that last but where he was surrounded seem a bit more real IYSWIM.

I'm not too clued up with history hence this question, but did Richard really court his niece in RL?

BinarySolo Thu 22-Aug-13 21:04:22

Agnes, that bit was in the white queen documentary. There was also a bit about how Elizabeth believed Margaret Beaufort killed her son in the tower, so she edged her bets with her daughter on the marriage front. Henry delayed marrying Elizabeth for several month due to rumours about her and Richard. Apparently to ensure she wasn't pregnant.

Richard was a bit Edward Scissorhands but I still loved it!

AgnesBligg Thu 22-Aug-13 22:37:14

It does seem that he courted his niece. At least it certainly made court gossip.

I recently saw a long docu-drama on 4on demand about Perkin Warbeck coming back. It made Mad Marge the killer of Edward (by poison) and the boy Richard spirited away. It gave some interesting made up evidence about Perkin, his memories of family life, he says of King Edward iv that 'if it moved he fucked it, if it didn't he ate it'.

And Elizabeth of York believed him to be her brother (as did others).

I read on the bbc site that after Henry and Elizabeth had been married 2 years Henry took all Elizabeth's lands and her house and she died in poverty at an abbey a few years later. Nice one Hezza sad.

AgnesBligg Thu 22-Aug-13 22:39:37

Sorry. He took Elizabeth Woodville's lands away from her.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Thu 22-Aug-13 22:48:29

Blimey life was harsh back then. So the queen's mum was turfed out of her home and died in poverty? They could have kept the series going until that point, giving Elizabeth Woodville her whole life story seeing as it was all (almost) about her/her life. It just ended too soon!

BinarySolo Fri 23-Aug-13 08:09:37

Yes. That's what I read. There was only room for one mil and king's mum trumps queen's mum!

diddl Fri 23-Aug-13 08:54:07

Oh the end scene with MB telling Stanley to keep kneeling & pronouncing herself Margaret Regina was hilarious.

Was just waiting for Henry to say "now Mumsy, I'm the King-you should be kneeling to me"

buss Fri 23-Aug-13 08:58:04

I thought she was going to spit on a hanky and wipe his face.

diddl Fri 23-Aug-13 09:00:26

bussgrin

As she was walking towards him, you, well I really couldn't help hoping that it would be Richard!

thing1andthing2 Fri 23-Aug-13 10:58:25

I've just caught up on iplayer and I although I love the series, I was really disappointed with the battle scenes. It was like 30 blokes having it out in a forest! What was that about? Couldn't they afford the extras to pitch some good battle scenes?
There was a set way that battles were fought in the middles ages, with blocks of the army fighting on different parts of the field, all the knights would have been mounted on horses with lances and shield, there would have been archers. The vanguard goes in first then the right and left flank. They didn't just pitch in the field on foot with their swords! Knights only used their swords as a last resort as they were so valuable and actually using them ruined the blade!
Anyway, apart from that, I have been gripped. Has it finished now or is it 12 episodes?

AgnesBligg Fri 23-Aug-13 11:52:43

The series is over. I couldn't watch it anyway after what they did to Richard.

So many different events happened in that same blasted birch forest. It's a shame they didn't set the Bosworth calamity accurately as the events are well documented. Also weapon wise they had hideous spiky balls on chains and those chunky axe thingies (expert).

Still, the battle was manic and deadly, and it didn't look like hundreds of medieval enthusiasts doing a 're-enactment'.

BinarySolo Fri 23-Aug-13 12:31:53

It's made me want to go and watch the battle of bosworth re-enactment next year. I lived near there and went as a kid. It's a good day out. Watch the battle whilst sitting eating a picnic!!

I've moved from Leicestershire to Yorkshire, I have mixed feelings about where Richard's final resting place should be.

AgnesBligg Fri 23-Aug-13 18:27:19

I think he would prefer York where he was loved. I don't think Leicester must hold happy memories for him. smile

I admit I have Aneurin mixed up with the actual RL king in my head though. grin

RhondaJean Fri 23-Aug-13 18:34:16

Elizabeth Woodville did die in a nunnery. She was caught up in a plot to dethrone Henry and he found out so she was sent there.

I believe he paid her a reasonable pension and made sure she was comfortable at a time when he could have had her executed, And she was treated as dowager queen, allowed to come visit her daughter etc. I think she used the pension to support the poor so she did die with very little in the way of worldly goods though.

Chunderella Fri 23-Aug-13 20:27:29

Richard was very Edward Scissorhands, but that was all part of the fun. They were obviously going for the Twilight look, and he made a disturbingly attractive corpse. He's a looker, in that quintessentially Welsh way.

Regarding Elizabeth Woodville, there's one school of thought that she'd been planning to go to a nunnery herself for a while before she was sent there. I don't know how valid it is, although I did history I don't know this period at all. I do know the Tudors, so it was very interesting working out who was whose grandparent! Either way it was smart of Henry to handle it as he did. She could've caused him plenty more trouble in being executed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now