GBBO starts tomorrow!

(988 Posts)
Forgetfulmog Mon 19-Aug-13 09:36:09

Very excited!

Paul Hollywood does piss me off tbh, but I love seeing all the cakes & stuff. Will probably have to make something to eat whilst watching it though...

nocarsgo Thu 22-Aug-13 13:21:45

Looks like Danny has stopped paying for her bandwidth, so I had to find her blog post via the Wayback Machine:

web.archive.org/web/20121202072849/http://bakingastherapy.com/2012/10/21/bake-off-confidential-bittersweet-adventures-in-a-tv-show/

She comes across as exceptionally pissed off about how she struggled to fit the show alongside her busy life and important job. I get that, but surely she had an inkling that that was going to be the case?

WhiteandGreen Thu 22-Aug-13 13:39:32

I don't think she seemed bitter, just realistic.

Viking - please, please do go in for it next year!

Tee2072 Thu 22-Aug-13 13:52:51

I am not sure bitter is the word I would use. Disillusioned, maybe?

VikingVagine Thu 22-Aug-13 13:54:08

I wonder if they'd pay for my travel?

VikingVagine Thu 22-Aug-13 13:54:51

(From France)

Forgetfulmog Thu 22-Aug-13 13:58:24

Didn't part of France used to be owned by Britain, way back when?

<tenuous link>

Gracelo Thu 22-Aug-13 14:20:36

It's probably easier to get to Somerset from France than from where I live.

VikingVagine Thu 22-Aug-13 14:25:33

Crikey, French and English/British history go way back together. However, the part I'm in is right down south, so not much British influence here apart from me grin

wem Thu 22-Aug-13 14:26:15

I applied for this series in a moment of madness, got nowhere of course, but very glad after seeing all the stressed out contestants. I don't think they'd ever be able to use any footage of me as I'd be swearing almost continuously! I'd still love to have the excuse to do all the experimenting and learning they do, just take out the telly aspect grin

ppeatfruit Thu 22-Aug-13 16:03:09

Thanks nocargo I don't get why she said she's not a show off; I don't think that's a negative, she must be to some extent either that or very naive, which she didn't seem to be.

There's no way I'd go on it and Iam a bit of a show off but it wouldn't be good for my self esteem!

BooMeowson Thu 22-Aug-13 16:31:22

I like the blog thank you for linking!

Quangle Thu 22-Aug-13 17:19:45

I bought a Paul Hollywood loaf (in Waitrose obv grin and it had weird uncooked layers of doughiness inside. Felt like prodding it rudely like he does and giving it a mean stare. I fear he takes himself too seriously and has NSOH. But love the prog especially Mel and Sue.

nocarsgo Thu 22-Aug-13 17:44:36

Ok, do maybe bitter was a strong word, but having followed over half a dozen people post GBBO, she was the only one who had anything bad to say about the programme. But perhaps that is the difference between people who wanted to take baking further after the programme (books, hosting baking classes, etc) and someone like Danny, for whom it was never going to be anything but a hobby.

nocarsgo Thu 22-Aug-13 17:48:56

And if you like Danny's blog, here's a few more:

Jo, Holly, Mary-Anne (series 2)

www.josblueaga.com/
www.recipesfromanormalmum.com/
timetocookonline.com/

Holly's is particularly brilliant, there's just so much stuff I want to try.

OldRoan Thu 22-Aug-13 17:55:45

wem I'd make rubbish TV too - alternating between swearing constantly and just looking blankly in front of me saying things like "what time did I start? When does it need to be finished? What am I meant to be making?"

On the other hand, I'm pretty clumsy and would probably drop things at pleasing-TV-making-moments...

I love Mary-Ann's blog - she is so funny, and the recipes sound so delicious!

MortifiedAdams Thu 22-Aug-13 19:33:06

Im a GBBO Virgin and watching ep1 on catch up now.

Beca must be a MNer!

Its making me want to eat cake.

CorrieDale Thu 22-Aug-13 21:41:30

I didn't find Danny 's blog post about the show bitter at all. It isn't sugar coated - that would be the show itself! I have been well sucked in by the marquee/bunting/squirrel sweetness of it all but my rational side knows full well that it must be an exhausting and stressful and very edited experience. Danny's blogpost was rational, not bitter!

ppeatfruit Sat 24-Aug-13 08:53:37

I'm about to google to see when they're repeating it IIRC it was on Sunday morning before.

ppeatfruit Sat 24-Aug-13 09:00:12

Yup it's repeated on Sunday at 7pm. Not in Scotland though sad

ppeatfruit Mon 26-Aug-13 09:13:11

LadyClarice I watched the repeat and ALi ain't bad he's got nice eyes but a vile little PH beard under chin. grin

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 26-Aug-13 11:24:22

Oh no, ppeat, he's so anxious! I can't even really think about whether he's cute because watching him just makes me nervous.

The guy who left was a fucking loon. I agree with the person upthread who said they'd find a nice family to sit near if he got on a train with them.

I like the Welsh woman (I can't retain many names while there are so many contestants). I also like the gay guy who keeps making oversized cakes grin although I don't know if he'll stay in it for long. Ruby is a sulky mare. The space engineer chap is nice.

ppeatfruit Mon 26-Aug-13 12:05:06

Yes I liked the gay teacher chappie as well he seemed as if he's a good teacher, not exactly tottie though is he? sad

Ruby is incredible looking ; there was an Antiques programme yesterday which was showing some pre raph. paintings and she really is a throwback to them, sulkiness and all!!

The tree cake was very clever and I liked the one with bear on it Not sure about the squirrel cake hmm.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 26-Aug-13 12:25:26

No, but he's lovely and rather cuddly. There isn't any totty, it's official.

I can't really see Ruby's looks because I'm finding her so tiresome already grin

I liked the tree cake but thought the bear was weird. The squirrel cake was clever and I liked Mel going on about giving it a pair of hazelnut balls grin, but I fear whoever made it may be this year's insufferable over-achiever.

God, I'm a bitch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now