Big School - anyone watched it?

(38 Posts)
cafenoir Fri 16-Aug-13 21:41:59

Is it just me or was it seriously crap and unfunny with absolutely nothing to say?

fussychica England Tue 20-Aug-13 18:44:14

Yet another unfunny British comedy - Big Bang/Parks & Recreation/New Girl/Frasier it ain't.

Ellenora5 Fri 23-Aug-13 23:57:27

Well it wasn't any funnier tonight, so I'm done with that now.

BackforGood Sat 24-Aug-13 00:02:38

I caught it by accident tonight, doing a bit of channel hopping, but switched over after about 5mins - really dire.

Absolutely dire. Bbc comedy only seem to have one format, which is immature grown ups doing things badly with lots of gurning. Pathetic

NadiaWadia Sat 24-Aug-13 05:36:04

Well it was mildly amusing. Very, very mildly. Maybe it will get better.

But what I can't understand is why you often get brilliant actors like Frances de la Tour, Catherine Tate, etc. agreeing to appear in distinctly average stuff like this, and the TV companies agreeing to commission it. The quality of the actors and the quality of the writing do not match up.

Another example is that crime drama Field of Blood(?) set in 80s Scotland that was on a couple of weeks ago. I saw David Morrissey was in it, so thought it must be good, but had to give up watching halfway through the 1st episode.

Surely there are some suitably brilliant writers out there?

KenDoddsDadsDog Chile Sat 24-Aug-13 08:05:34

Even Gleinster couldn't save it for me. Switched over this week.

JakeBullet Sat 24-Aug-13 09:53:13

Glenister is fab in it....the one saving grace.

Thing is that even Only Fools and Horses got mediocre ratings etc for the first two seasons.

I think that this has got potential to be very good.....as long as Glenister stays. grin

littlecrick Sat 24-Aug-13 10:01:19

I thought I'd really enjoy it, but actually I didn't smile once through the whole program. Still it didn't help that I was nursing a poorly child on my knee the whole time.

MissWimpyDimple Sat 24-Aug-13 13:00:04

Yep thought it too. Trying to persevere but it's baaaaad.

FannyMcNally Sun 25-Aug-13 14:36:51

Bloody awful. The staff room looked like it was from the 70s sitcom 'Please Sir!' with the same stereotypical characters to match. Won't be watching again.

fussychica England Thu 29-Aug-13 19:07:05

They could just show Please Sir! again. At least that seemed fresh & funny at the time.

Pixel Sun 01-Sep-13 00:10:40

Ok, have come to confess it's growing on me blush.

This week I did enjoy the hiding in the car during the 'drugs deal' and arguing over whose school was worst, laughed at "If it's about the trampoline I've no idea how it got on ebay", and also the 'dirty dancing' bit where Mr Church and Miss Postern discussed whether to do 'the lift' and she didn't want to tell him her weight so said she had a lot in her pockets (I intend to steal that line at a future date).

Guess there's no hope for me.smile

NadiaWadia Tue 03-Sep-13 04:23:09

I agree Pixel, I think it is improving. It still could do better, but I have kept watching for the sake of the brilliant cast, and laughed quite a few times at the latest ep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now