Breaking Bad (WARNING: SPOILERS)

(271 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Patchouli Mon 12-Aug-13 16:25:06

I'm soooo excited
I cannot wait til DC's bedtime tonight!

moreyear Sun 13-Oct-13 01:27:57

I finished Breaking Bad yesterday and I still feel drained and maudlin today. The scene where Walt said goodbye to Holly was just so unbearably sad.

I can't believe it is over - truly part of the 'Golden Age of Television'.

BOF Thu 03-Oct-13 08:24:44

Watch gone= he knows his time's up?

If Jesse took Todd's car, I hope there was a wad of cash in the gove compartment...

Cooroo Wed 02-Oct-13 23:40:09

DP and I watched the pilot again tonight - I'd forgotten or missed so much. And Jesse looked so young and full of life.

ReviewsOffers Wed 02-Oct-13 14:52:10

Liked that link Raah

But when you see it all laid out like that there were a lot of gruesome deaths. No wonder I watched most of it through my fingers

But I think the most shocking was when Hank was defying the Nazi uncle to shoot him. and he did, in the middle of a sentence, poor Hank was murdered with as much ceremony as you might swat a fly

StrangerintheNight Wed 02-Oct-13 12:43:07

Phew, finally feel I can get Breaking Bad out of my head now. They could have 'finished' with either of the previous two episodes, which arguably would have made a more dramatically interesting conclusion, but it's nice they took pity on their fans and gave us some closure.

The writers clearly had way too much left to do, and seemed to really struggle to work the story back to the flash forward moment in the diner, but the fact I can now sleep at night without worrying about the characters is a big thumbs up from me.

WillColbert Tue 01-Oct-13 23:12:09

Thanks for the REM link Raahh - great stuff!

thenightsky Tue 01-Oct-13 23:00:55

OMG. Finally watched the last 2 episodes.

I don't see how else they could have wrapped it up really. Apart from Jesse leaving with some money.

Raahh Tue 01-Oct-13 21:50:44

And during the REM parody- look out for the nod to 'malcolm in the middle' grin

(it took me THREE SERIES to realise who Bryan Cranston was!)

grin

Raahh Tue 01-Oct-13 21:44:37

grinI suppose it does . I'll stick with the 'metaphorically distancing himself from jesse' theory.

REM

The whole 5 series set to a parody of REM's 'End of the World..'

ReviewsOffers Tue 01-Oct-13 21:13:17

Oh i know I just mean such a prosaic reason spoils the mystique...

Raahh Tue 01-Oct-13 21:03:31

eh? The whole thread contains spoilers.

ReviewsOffers Tue 01-Oct-13 21:02:32

Ah. Now that's what I call a spoiler!

Raahh Tue 01-Oct-13 20:59:18

but I have just read something from 'Talking bad' that suggests the watch went for continuity purposes, as Walt isn't wearing it during flash forward bits.

But that's not so interestinggrin

Raahh Tue 01-Oct-13 20:56:09

Apparently the watch was a present from Jesse, for his 51st birthday- this episode featured his 52nd. (dh remembered that, not me). Maybe removing the watch was severing a connection to Jesse? Might be over-thinking it.grin

ReviewsOffers Tue 01-Oct-13 20:46:44

What was the significance of the watch?

I dunno. I was dissatisfied with the ending. Too pat. Everything happened too easily - like how did he get into Skyler's house? Surely it was watched. How did he locate those two meth heads so easily, and rig up a machine gun magic attack. In an evening?

the beauty of the show was the psychological study, watching someone become corrupt by degrees.

i did enjoy the nods to classic Western motifs all throughout. Well done, not in your face.

Patchouli Tue 01-Oct-13 14:07:15

Great end.

Thanks for the Felina info: interesting.

I'm glad Jesse killed Todd.

Raahh Tue 01-Oct-13 11:06:56

I have loved watching Breaking Bad- and thought the ending was great. I'll admit, I watched the first couple of episodes with a catsbumface, whilst dh told me it was going to be great. I hate it when he is right. grin. I thought the the finale got it just right, really. It was so well written- Walter White is one of the most brilliantly crafted characters I have seen in a drama.

Some clever touches, and the right balance of humour, and sadness. When he was saying goodbye to Holly, I wanted to cry.

I don't know if anyone has seen this
If 'Breaking Bad' took place on Facebook'

They recap the last half series- it's very funny (and worth looking up the one's they do for Game of Thrones and Mad Men as well).

It seemed such a long wait between the first half of this season to July- I can't believe it is now over. sad

Elsiequadrille Tue 01-Oct-13 10:46:39

You're right about Jesse, Tobias. And I got the impression he was going to disappear rather than attempt any return to his old life.

Yes, Call Saul would have to be a prequel

tobiasfunke Tue 01-Oct-13 08:55:03

The Better call Saul thing is a prequel I think which means no Walt but possibly a bit of Jesse and maybe Mike. I think they all used Saul before Walt turned up.

I have to say I wasn't happy with the ending at all. I liked the bit with Gretchen and Elliot but the whole machine gun in the car thing was a bit stupid. I also thought the scene with Jesse and Walt was a bit short after all the interminable angsting they'd done in previous series.

I really felt that Walt got off far too lightly but then personally I was in the Walt is evil camp. I wish Jesse had told him the result of him handing Jesse to be tortured by the gang resulted in Andrea being killed and Brock orphaned. The whole idea that Walt somehow redeemed himself at the end by making everything right for people pissed me right off.
Marie's life is ruined, his family's life is ruined even with the money. Jesse's life is ruined - Marie knows what he did and will have told the DEA. His fingerprints and DNA are all over the scene with the gang members including the chain to strangle Todd and the meth lab. There isn't really a happy ending for him. He hasn't any money left. However a spin off with Jesse coming back to look for the 80 million - maybe that's Vince Gilligan's banker for his retirement fund.

noddyholder Tue 01-Oct-13 08:52:48

yes totem I think that was the intention too. So well crafted don't think this series can be matched Some TV execs need to take a good look at the crap they churn out

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 01-Oct-13 08:52:24

Yeah! I don't think Walt used lithium, but it's apparently very commonly used.

TotemPole Tue 01-Oct-13 08:46:24

Katy it's also been suggested

Fe (Iron) Li(Lithium) Na(Sodium) ... blood, meth and tears.

Listmaker Tue 01-Oct-13 08:28:27

Late to this thread as I have spent the last couple of weeks watching all 5 seasons on Netflix (I have a broken heel bone so am pretty much bed-bound!). I have absolutely loved it and like Willcolbert I've turned to Talking Bad because I can't bear to leave the BB world yet.

In fact I'm thinking of just re-watching the whole lot. It is too good to just watch once........

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 01-Oct-13 07:12:01

It's been noted that the episode title, "Felina" is an anagram of "finale". But it's also the name of the girl in the Marty Robbins song "El Paso" that plays when Walter gets the car started.

The song is sung by a cowboy trying to get back to his girl, but he's been shot and is dying in the saddle and he hopes to hang on long enough to die in Felina's arms.

DevlinMaccabee Mon 30-Sep-13 23:27:05

Brilliant episode, shame it's all over.

Skinny Pete and Badger - utter genius!

The machine gun from the boot was awesome, was not expecting that at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now