The Mill

(9 Posts)
Clawdy Mon 05-Aug-13 19:15:58

I was wondering how they explained the line about the kiss to the little girl playing the role?

I thought that too but he knew she wouldn't last long if he cared for her welfare he would have took her to the nearest town the mill owner gave him the money to give back to the workhouse then later on you saw him spending it on steak and booze. sad

OctopusPete8 Mon 05-Aug-13 18:22:16

Oh really? angry]

I thought he was saving her from the workhouse or trying too.

Yes that's why he let her go he didn't want to have to pay the money back for her he spent it it was so sad

diddl Germany Mon 05-Aug-13 16:44:48

Why didn't he take her to the town?

She was young & ill-did he realise that she would die before she got there?

OctopusPete8 Mon 05-Aug-13 12:17:31

last nights episode , so sad at the end, that was a shock, poor lass.

when that little girl said "If I allow you more than that [kiss] will take me to the town".

shock the blokes face was a picture.

Deliaskis Mon 05-Aug-13 10:54:00

Anybody see this last night? I'm getting quite into it now. Depressing but kind of refreshing compared to bouncey flouncy 'bonnet dramas' as DH calls them. I live very near Quarry Bank Mill and it was an oft-covered history topic/trip! Interestingly, I think we mostly learnt that the Greggs were quite generous/progressive compared to some mill owners, but I guess it's all relative.

Dx

Clawdy Thu 01-Aug-13 21:25:51

It was certainly grim! Think I will stick with it though. It's probably more interesting if you've visited Styal Mill,which I have!

kim147 Wed 31-Jul-13 22:22:38

Channel 4 Monday

Depressing stuff and yet based on real life accounts. Awful to think those were the lives of our not too distant relatives.

What's more depressing is Great Great Grandad or something like that was a mill owner in Lancashire. Would be interested to see what conditions were like for his workers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now