Run

(32 Posts)
springytoto Wed 17-Jul-13 09:58:20

I'm really enjoying this - in a car-crash-lives kind of way hmm

I know I'm being thick but what kind of racket was the Lin/Ying character caught up in last night?

cocolepew Wed 17-Jul-13 10:00:13

She was an illegal immigrant, she was working to pay off the 'debt' of smuggling her into the country.
That's what I presumed.

spicywalrus Wed 17-Jul-13 11:43:42

I'm just catching up on it, had to cover my eyes in places though!

springytoto Wed 17-Jul-13 12:04:18

oh yes, def volume off/turned head in places!

thanks coco. should've known that blush

It's the desperate older man tonight <braces self>

Nancy66 Wed 17-Jul-13 12:46:14

Think I enjoyed last night's more than the first one.
Brilliant performances. Felt so sorry for the barber who'd taken such a beating to help her out and then she fled....sad

susiedaisy Wed 17-Jul-13 15:19:48

Marking my place, only saw the second one so far!

valiumredhead Wed 17-Jul-13 23:54:33

The first one was good the second excellent imo. Not seen the third one yet.

Wingedharpy Thu 18-Jul-13 01:27:57

Nancy - my take on it was that she fled because she didn't understand English very well and she didn't necessarily know that he was coming back to his flat for her.
She couldn't continue to clean at his shop after he'd been beaten up as now Mr Chinese Thug knew she was connected to the barber.
She wanted to protect the barber by leaving him.
They've all been a bit grim though very watchable.

valiumredhead Thu 18-Jul-13 07:52:37

I think she understood what was happening but realised that where ever they both went the mafia type guy would find them and she didn't want to put barber shop man through any more.

So went to pay of her 2 years debt, which of course will never be paid offsad

So grim.

springytoto Thu 18-Jul-13 09:21:07

I thought she went back to protect her aunt - who would've got the brunt of it if she'd gone.

Last night's was unbearable. The frantic desperation of the guy - unbearable.

But his acting/part was kind of 2D in a way. If you've worked with drug addicts you know it's all about them. When he was at the door talking to his daughter through the glass, he was full of 'Daddy' this and 'I' that - not 'how are you' 'I love you' . Typical of addicts ime.

But maybe that's the point of this series - to have some compassion and see the humanity in the 'victims', even when they're clearly very much part of fucking up their lives? Don't know if that would fit with the illegal immigrant girl though?

valiumredhead Thu 18-Jul-13 15:23:50

Oh yes, the aunt of course that makes more sense!blush

Nancy66 Thu 18-Jul-13 15:53:27

Yes, I think she fled because she was falling for the barber and knew the danger she'd bring into his life.

I was out in Soho last night having a drink outside and a young Chinese guy was flogging those dodgy DVDS and I bought twenty quid's worth - even though I know they will be crap - because of that programme!

valiumredhead Thu 18-Jul-13 22:39:17

I would have done to tbh.

Addict one was grim. I made up my own ending-he gets out inside for nicking the cans and smashing the car, gets clean inside with support and his daughter visits him. <optimist>wink blush

valiumredhead Thu 18-Jul-13 22:39:39

Too
Put

springytoto Fri 19-Jul-13 00:09:05

That last one was fantastic !

Had my heart pumping big time.

Wingedharpy Fri 19-Jul-13 00:41:23

I enjoyed the last one too - at last - one of them escapes the grim, drudge of a life they're living (I hope!).
And I did at one point, shout "Run!!" at the telly.

waikikamookau Fri 19-Jul-13 07:28:38

did she keep the money, I hope so.

springytoto Fri 19-Jul-13 09:15:23

I think she did. (I was shouting at the telly 'look left!' when she was searching the wardrobe blush )

That train at the end snaking its way in the night. Makes you think of how many people on the train/tube with you are battling stuff similar to this sad

I was glad it was rounded off with the mother in the same carriage. I was hoping it would be brought full circle somehow.

Wingedharpy Fri 19-Jul-13 16:13:48

She did keep some of the money after giving Mrs Pole Dancer some to bury Mr Murdered Unfaithful B***ard.
She put it in her backpack/shoulder bag thingy and the bag she lost when being chased just had her clothes in it - we saw Mr Polish Thug rifle through it after he thought she'd got away and then throw it to the ground in anger.
My theory is she's bought a nice little flat somewhere in the EU - she's paid cash (of course) and she's got a part-time job just to pay her day to day bills.
She's left all these underworld rat-bag types behind.

She should have taken a bigger handbag with her!

I thought it was brilliantly realised, a quirky idea to tell the 4 different but related stories - it was seriously grim watching, but showed empathy with each of the characters.

Missed part 2 with the Chinese girl - is it on iPlayer?

Doshusallie Fri 19-Jul-13 22:16:19

Melanie they are all on 4od which I have downloaded into iPad just to watch this series.

Have watched 1-3 so far. Depressing but mesmerising acting. Will watch 4 tomorrow. Fantastic I think.

Good on you nancy. X

Doshusallie Fri 19-Jul-13 22:17:10

There was another series like this, telling 5 different but connected stories, written by Danny Boyle I think, very very good

Doshusallie Fri 19-Jul-13 22:18:23

Think I'm completely wrong that it is Danny boyle....

valiumredhead Fri 19-Jul-13 23:49:13

Arghh!! My sky plus cut out in the last 4 minutes just as she was running to the tube!

what happened please?

Wingedharpy Sat 20-Jul-13 01:34:37

She made it valium.
There was a v v tense bit where she'd jumped on the train but was waiting for the doors to close and she knew he was coming.
Thankfully, they did close a split second before he got there so the train pulled out and he was left fuming that she had escaped.
When she sat down, Olivia Coleman was sitting across from her - both of them completely oblivious to each other.
If only they knew....................

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now