Top of the Lake. Mmmm....

(264 Posts)
partystress Sat 13-Jul-13 22:17:46

Weird but has me hooked. Anyone else watching?

UnicornsPooGlitter Sun 14-Jul-13 20:11:29

SoftKitty, he drowned.

I'm half way through Ep 1 and liking it so far. The lake water must be the opposite kind to the reservoir water in The Returned.

Whenever I read the title, my brain translates it to "Top o' the lake" in an Irish accent.

CatelynStark Sun 14-Jul-13 20:21:31

Isn't it that the water is so cold, you can't survive for more than a few minutes?

The teacher scolded Tui for being in the lake for that reason, I thought??

Although there was the bit about the legend of the lake so maybe that's part if it as well - local folklore?

YoungBritishPissArtist Sun 14-Jul-13 20:41:45

Will watch later on iPlayer. I adore Peter Mullan, so gorgeous <swoon> even though he's the same age as my parents

Echocave Mon 15-Jul-13 12:35:21

Agree that the acting and plot to do with the women's retreat was ludicrous, Holly Hunter channelling Catweasel was ridiculous.
I think Elizabeth Moss is great but I'm not sure I am quite ready for all the misery and misogyny on offer.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 15-Jul-13 16:17:43

There is allegedly a demon's heart at the bottom of the lake, but the guy drowned simply because he couldn't get his head out of the water long enough to breathe. I think they were supposed to frighten him for the count of three, but the mad Scot kept going. The teacher told the girl off because it looked like she was going to top herself.

I really like Elisabeth Moss, she is very likeable and intense.

diddl Mon 15-Jul-13 19:59:41

Oh it was depressing, wasn't it.

Pregnant 12yr old-now dead?

Or father sent her for an abortion?

Stereotypical thugs & "backwards" ideas about women.

Women's refuge-wtaf??!!

IdaBlankenship Mon 15-Jul-13 21:20:43

Yes, that was what I found jarring - the retreat and Holly Hunter's performance. They didn't feel real.

diddl Mon 15-Jul-13 21:43:03

I just couldn't really see the point of them.

Well, that the land was sold showed what a brutal bastard Tui's father is.

Tui going to the women now has "outsiders" knowing that a 12yr old is pregnant.

So I can see there was a plot device there, but...

specialsubject Tue 16-Jul-13 18:26:34

hopelessly confused but will stick with it for NZ-ness. Although some terrible accents, and Holly Hunter never could enunciate properly. And hope they cleared up afterwards, the messy hippy camp was convincingly disgusting in that setting.

the legend about the lake (Lake Wakatipu, 'hollow of the sleeping giant') would surely be known to the detective that grew up in the area? It is bloody freezing (fed by glacial streams) so the chap freezing and drowning could happen.

FriskyHenderson Tue 16-Jul-13 18:37:50

I watched the first 20 or so mins and I'm not sure I can be bothered watching the rest. ..

Shrugged Wed 17-Jul-13 14:25:42

I liked it less than I expected, given how much i like Jane Campion. The accents from all over the place kept throwing me, the casual misogyny is depressing, and the women's refuge bit was just plain odd, as if it had escaped from a completely different series! Why play that plot, alone in a pretty grim episode, for laughs?

Plus, I must admit I kept thinking 'What would Sarah Lund have done?'

Did anyone else recognise Faramir from The Lord if the Rings? The detective with the parting who brings Tui home from the police station...?

diddl Wed 17-Jul-13 14:39:45

It was too stereotypical somehow for me.

A pregnant 12yr old & it seemed to be accepted!

Don't tell me, the whole place is in on it somehowhmm

I have a feeling that the solution will be equally depressing.

Not her father, that's too obvious.

One of the policemen, but the father will let it go as he's doing something illegal?

Or he'll turn a blind eye for being let off the hook for the murder of the guy who sold the land?

I'm thinking she was drugged as she remembers nothing?

When is it set?

Seemed very 80s!

susiedaisy Wed 17-Jul-13 15:24:59

Marking my place but not sure what I think yet.

Baconsarnie Thu 18-Jul-13 08:50:23

It's set in the (relative) present day because of the mobile phones, but I'm finding the outdated police attitudes hard to swallow. Will stick with it though, for the time being.

IdaBlankenship Thu 18-Jul-13 09:17:07

I can imagine rural NZ police attitudes are a little behind the times. When were in Perth, WA you could imagine you'd gone back to the 80's!

I thought it was very odd (but I liked it and will watch again). From the article I read in the paper I thought it was going to be a crime drama like The Bridge, The Fall or Broadchurch. Really serious stuff. I thought the refuge women were far too comical and jarring.

Then I read a review that said it was supposed to be like Twin Peaks and that made a lot more sense. Instead of Who killed Laura Palmer, it's Where's Tui?

Really looking forward to episode 2 now.

JustinBsMum Thu 18-Jul-13 19:12:02

What a difference the long hair makes to Peter Mullan, he's v good looking and 'normal' without it. Good acting on his part.

waikikamookau Sat 20-Jul-13 20:11:22

all set for later?

waikikamookau Sat 20-Jul-13 20:12:44

missed most of this last week but read a review so feel I know it, should I watch it on iplayer to get better acquainted?

CruCru Sat 20-Jul-13 22:22:58

I like this show a lot. Think CG might be the most interesting so far.

valiumredhead Sat 20-Jul-13 22:27:22

Very grim tonight-I'm hooked!

susiedaisy Sat 20-Jul-13 22:36:08

Have recorded it, will watch tomorrow smile

differentnameforthis Sun 21-Jul-13 09:24:17

I think the attitude of the police will be explained soon...you just needs to watch it in it's entirety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now