Andy Murray BBC1

(17 Posts)
Davros Fri 28-Jun-13 17:34:54

Reinvented as tongue in cheek once he realised it was nit acceptable and could harm his image (and potential to make more £££)

WildThongsHeartString Thu 27-Jun-13 23:18:19

That's good then, it was a shame that a tongue in cheek remark became so twisted against him, usual stirring antics from the great British tabloids. Unfortunate that so many fell for it really.

Davros Tue 25-Jun-13 18:16:49

I don't think he's been misunderstood by much of the English public, I think we understood him perfectly!

Saltire Mon 24-Jun-13 09:47:32

Did anyone else think Agassi looked like ET? grin

AmIthatSpringy Mon 24-Jun-13 00:19:03

I thought it was a good documentary. It didn't change my mind about him, because I have always loved him, and get his dry humour.

His mum comes in for a lot of unwarranted stick, so glad others have seen what she is really like.

bico Sun 23-Jun-13 23:50:47

Tim Henman either had a weird haircut or has chubbed up. I'd have liked to have heard more from John McEnroe. I remember him saying when AM was 20 that he would be a future grand slam winner. He has a real insight into the game, celebrity etc.

Ponders Sun 23-Jun-13 23:48:59

Oh, I know, Daisy. we're just jealous because we don't have the same national pride wink

I also liked it when he corrected the American journalist who called him English despite having said 'English...Scottish' a moment before. (Of course the Yanks don't appreciate the finer points of the British national heritage grin)

LackaDAISYcal Sun 23-Jun-13 23:45:14

Ach, all Scots say that though Ponders! It needs to be taken with tongue very much in cheek, though I can see why it uspet the morally outraged tabloid press grin

Ponders Sun 23-Jun-13 23:43:46

I did enjoy the bits about "anyone but England" (& I'm English!) - I'm glad Henman stuck up for him

don't the tabloids love to find someone to hate though hmm

Guardian article 5 years ago about the Dunblane issue (plus "To be honest, I think bananas are a pathetic fruit" - now there's a stick for the Sun to beat him with grin)

LackaDAISYcal Sun 23-Jun-13 23:40:24

I feel like I like him better than I did before. I laways thought his mum was a bit of a rottweiler, but she came across really well and quite humble in this.

AM himself came across as more human than I had previously given him credit for, though those highly stylised photo shoot pics just looked wrong!

I always though he looked like his mum, but clearly he is the spitting image of his Dad and Jamie is more like his mum.

All in all a good informative programme, and I really hope as a fellow Scot that he is the first GB winner for generations grinwink

bico Sun 23-Jun-13 23:33:22

I can't say I know anything more about him at the end than I did at the beginning and I didn't know much at the beginning. I assume it is all part of the PR exercise to get GB public to like him. I warmed to him when he won his Olympic medal and it really seemed to matter to him. I remember him playing in the Beijing Olympics, getting knocked out early and not really caring much.

Odd to have Andre Agassi contributing when he clearly doesn't know Murray and didn't have much to say.

I'd rather see an hour long programme of Nadal, especially any ice bath shots grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 23:33:02

Definitely Ponders it couldn't not.

Ponders Sun 23-Jun-13 23:32:20

I got choked at how choked they all still are about the Dunblane shooting. he only missed getting shot himself by a matter of minutes, & they all knew Ian Hamilton.

it must mess with your head, something like that

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 23:28:42

I didn't like him. But now I like him a bit more, his Mum came across as lovely and I thought she was a bit cold.

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 23-Jun-13 23:27:17

I don't like him. Just watched this programme. Still don't like him. His mum came across better than she usually does, though.

highlandcoo Sun 23-Jun-13 23:25:45

Taping it to watch soon! Interested to see whether people will continue to warm towards him; his emotional speech after losing the final last year seemed to win people over somewhat. I really like him and think he's been misunderstood by much of the English public

bico Sun 23-Jun-13 22:48:09

Anyone watching? Missed the beginning but it looks as if Sue Barker has been stalking him confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now