Miss Marple - Greenshaws Folly

(14 Posts)
GeorginaWorsley Thu 27-Jun-13 21:02:55

Is Julia Mackenzie giving up then?

Clawdy Thu 27-Jun-13 13:30:43

Yes,Joan Hickson portrayed Miss M.just as Christie imagined her. The other versions are all slightly tongue-in-cheek,and trying to be humorous. Not true to the books at all.

Confusedandfedup Thu 27-Jun-13 12:26:13

No-one will ever surpass Joan Hickson...she is and will always be Miss Marple....sheer brilliance

LIZS Tue 25-Jun-13 18:51:21

thought it was a bit dull this week tbh , neither gothic nor suspenseful.

jeee Tue 25-Jun-13 11:25:20

The Joan Hickson versions are on Netflix. I've just watched Nemesis with my children.

I annoyed them immensely with my running commentary on the villages it was filmed in.

doingthesplitz Tue 25-Jun-13 11:12:42

Even with the full lenght books they have started adding in extra storylines, characters, complicated relationships etc. It never works and really just highlights what a brilliant story teller Agatha Christie was.

The Marple series isn't a patch on the original Miss Marple with Joan Hickson. They're reall classics. I have them all recorded and I still love watching them.

The new series is just a bit of light fluffy entertainment that passes a couple of hours.

Clawdy Mon 24-Jun-13 17:27:22

Think one problem is that this one was based on a short story,not a book,so they padded it out with extra story-lines that were confusing and a bit silly. In the story,there is only one murder,and no evil experiments in the past! No romantic happy ending either!

GibberTheMonkey Mon 24-Jun-13 16:50:14

I know him from monarch of the glen

arabesque Mon 24-Jun-13 12:33:35

I know, I was amazed that someone like Fiona Shaw would be in something so poorly written.

I think next week is the last Miss Marple so presumably we won't be seeing Julia McKenzie in the role again.

I really enjoyed the one last week, but this one was a little boring and predictable, which was a shame as it had a really good cast. I agree about Julia McKenzie, she didnt portray a good Miss Marple. (god, how sad am I grin)

arabesque Mon 24-Jun-13 11:13:15

It was a very poor effort. I guessed who the murderers were - not because my powers of deduction are brilliant but because everyone else had either been killed off or had fallen in love and were obviously going to provide The Happy Ending.

I don't know whether I'm getting old or whether the writing isn't good but I found this week and last that it was very difficult to distinguish some of the characters from each other. They just seemed to drift in and out of scenes with no distinguishing features.

I really don't like Julia McKenzie as Miss Marple. She looks like a retired governess not a nosy fluttery old lady.

PenelopePortrait Sun 23-Jun-13 20:57:41

The Ice Cream Girls! That's it - he was the teacher. thanks

RustyBear Sun 23-Jun-13 20:52:49
PenelopePortrait Sun 23-Jun-13 20:49:37

Can't see another thread?

What has 'Alfred' been in before?

And it's a bit boring - again. Or is it me? I used to love these sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now