Wimbledon 2013.

(975 Posts)
magimedi Sun 23-Jun-13 20:29:13

I am so excited!

DH takes over all catering for this fortnight (he does it at other times too) so I can plump my cushions, grab the handchange & get watching.

I'd like to be saying who I was putting my money on to win - but I really can't decide between Rafa, Federer Djokovitch & Murray.

I'd just say that it will be one of them and, sadly, I'd put Andy in last place.

Two weeks of tennis coming up!!

Bring it on. wine (pimms) & grin

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 11:32:58

noddy- that's very true. After Rosol beat Nadal last year, he was comprehensively beaten in his next round. And lost in the first round yesterday. I have to say, I don't think Darcis will get much further. Although he plays Kubot in the next round-think he's Polish,and very close to Darcis in the rankings, so you never know, Steve could get to the 3rd round.
tennis

magimedi Tue 25-Jun-13 11:57:48

flowers chuckit .

101 That must have been amazing - envy

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 12:14:10

Watson lost her first setsad

C'mon Heather.

Witt Tue 25-Jun-13 12:34:36

C'mon Heather!

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 12:41:12

Doing much better in this set, Heather.

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 12:46:37

Spoke too soon.

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 12:57:34

oh dearsad

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 12:58:57

hmm - why is it ok to use Watson's illness as a reason for her loss, but not Nadal's injury?

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 12:59:38

The American played very well, though. And isn't a screamer/grunter. Which is nice. grin

Sirzy Tue 25-Jun-13 13:00:01

Having had glandular fever I can fully understand how that would have a massive impact.

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 13:03:16

It would- and has already stopped the careers of other players, like Soderling. I was just a bit hmm at how it's ok to excuse one player, but not another. I like Watson, I prefer her to Robson. Is she is the doubles did they say?

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 13:03:43

in

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 13:10:51

ooh, Del Potro is on soon...

DaddyRacer Tue 25-Jun-13 13:16:08

Should it be important to introduce your children to some for of sport to spectate and enjoy? If so why?

MrsMcEnroe Tue 25-Jun-13 13:25:27

Sam Querrey always comes across as an affable chap, doesn't he? (I'm at work, watching Querrey v Tomic on iPad) tennis tennis tennis

MrsMcEnroe Tue 25-Jun-13 13:26:43

Raahh mm, Del Potro is a fantastic player I think... I think he will do well this year.

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 13:29:24

Del Po is very good- bit tall for me like nearly 2 feet too tall grin

IreneR Tue 25-Jun-13 13:30:36

DaddyRacer, I don't know that it's important to encourage children to watch sports for the heck of it per se -- but if they have a genuine interest, I don't see the harm in it. My disinterested-in-sport son wanted to start tennis because he liked to watch it on TV though, so that's been nice.

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 13:33:31

It's like the Olympic effect , Irene- how many kids were encouraged to go and do stuff, based on what they'd seen in London? (Ds is convinced he is the next Bradley Wigginsgrin).

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 14:42:06

Del Po made a bit of a meal of the second set,there.

Tomic is doing well- not having his (allegedly) grinviolent father around doesn't seem to be bothering him too much.

And Tommy Haas doing well for the oldies toogrin

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 15:02:42

Well done del potato.

Raahh Tue 25-Jun-13 15:06:54

Robson up next, and I'm stuck on various school run related stuff for the next hour. Grtr

amigababy Tue 25-Jun-13 16:03:16

dd doesn't take part in any sport (well, ballet) but watches lots of tennis (because of me), and has been to loads of horse-racing meetings and football matches, and is super-knowledgeable about cycling. Especially with the horse racing and football, I think it will stand her in good stead when she's older as these kinds of things are often more about social occasions and knowing what to expect, it's good that she can join in and talk about the sports and feel comfortable.
Plus she does well watching TV quiz shows with the sport questions smile, and knows where lots of UK towns and cities are (from football) It's surprising how many of her 17 y/o friends don't know where places like Birmingham or Bristol or Newcastle (i.e. major cities) are in relation to us even though they are supposedly ready to look at universities.

AnyFucker Tue 25-Jun-13 16:13:04

Robson doing well smile

DeathMetalMum Tue 25-Jun-13 16:18:26

Yes she doing great! tennis

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now