The White Queen

(1000 Posts)
ShadeofViolet Sun 16-Jun-13 17:06:32

Anyone else ridiculously excited?

I know Philippa Gregory's books tend to be a bit Barbara Cartland in places, and I hope the BBC havent increased it, but I still cannot wait to watch it.

RustyBear Wed 31-Jul-13 19:21:01

The reasons for the execution of Isabella's children were a bit more complicated than 'to keep the throne' - there were accusations of treason and alleged involvement in plots in both cases (the Perkin Warbeck plot in Edward's case and Cardinal Pole's Catholic conspiracy in Margaret's). If it had just been a matter of getting rid of anyone descended from the Plantagenets, then Isabella's younger son, Geoffrey Pole would have been executed too - instead he was pardoned and went on to have 5 sons.

AgnesBligg Wed 31-Jul-13 19:54:29

Richard would have wanted a new marriage and heir. I read that he was quick to scotch the rumours about his niece though?

cockerpoodle Wed 31-Jul-13 21:03:41

I think Geoffrey pole was Isabella's grandson - Margaret Pole's son. Or something.

Margaret Pole had five children, even Henry VIII would have been hard pressed to bump them all off.

I wonder who would be the Plantaganet heir now...

RustyBear Wed 31-Jul-13 23:44:17

Yes, sorry that should have said Margaret's younger son.

Did you know Lawrence of Arabia was descended from Edward IV? Not from Elizabeth Woodville, though, he had an illegitimate daughter, also called Elizabeth (they really didn't use many names, did they?)

confuddledDOTcom Thu 01-Aug-13 01:19:13

There's a Kiwi that they reckon is the true king of England. His family left the UK to get away from their titles though (he's sir mechanic lol) so in no rush to reclaim their rightful placegrin

Trills Thu 01-Aug-13 08:26:20

Philippa Gregory clearly hasn't heard of the One Steve Limit.

Gracelo Thu 01-Aug-13 13:59:30

I watched the episode before this one on iPlayer now (I was out of the country and missed it) and greatly warmed to Margaret B. I like her advisor as well. I still think her capable of killing the princes though, or wanting to have them killed.
Pity they didn't cover Anne running away to hide in a pub, or was this made up by Sharon Penman?

confuddledDOTcom Thu 01-Aug-13 14:27:06

LOL at One Steve, if only PG had made it all up!

TunipTheVegedude Thu 01-Aug-13 18:09:14

Does PG refer at all to the Middleham Jewel? DH and I were just discussing it and wondering how on earth something so precious got lost. Does she sneak in a throwaway reference to Cecily Neville rushing somewhere in a hurry and dropping it, or anything?

Ellisisland Thu 01-Aug-13 18:22:32

Yep PG refers to Middleham no idea where it had gone to in the series though

Trills Fri 02-Aug-13 10:20:44

I would have liked to have seen a 15th century pub

BranchingOut Sat 03-Aug-13 08:08:25

I did like Margaret B's advisor - fabulously camp!

deepfriedsage Sun 04-Aug-13 10:50:00

Does anyone know how many more episodes are left? Edward dies aged 40, and the son was two last episode. Do they finish it with the death of Richard? Or with Henry and Elizabeth having Henry VIII?

sugarandspite Sun 04-Aug-13 10:51:26

Pretty sure last week was episode 7, so there are 3 more to go including tonight.

deepfriedsage Sun 04-Aug-13 11:40:09

I am not that great at history and have ended up giving lessons to my family and friends due to the White Queen.

Ellisisland Sun 04-Aug-13 12:24:31

There are 10 episodes and the books it's based on finish with Henry Tudor winning as Bosworth so I guess the series will be the same ?

BranchingOut Sun 04-Aug-13 14:43:11

I reck

Trills Sun 04-Aug-13 20:52:51

You reckon something...?

Shall we break out the MN private detectives and send someone round to see if BranchingOut has been abducted mid-sentence?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 04-Aug-13 21:23:56

Maybe, in a random moment is self realisation, Branching has smelt her own armpits and was actually telling us that she reeks?! hmm confused grin

SelectAUserName Sun 04-Aug-13 21:41:53

There is a story of Anne Neville being smuggled away on the Duke of Clarence's orders and being forced to work as a scullery maid to keep her from Richard, but whether that was in a tavern or the kitchen in the house of one of Clarence's loyal associates is unclear.

TunipTheVegedude Sun 04-Aug-13 21:47:38

'reck (rk)
tr. & intr.v. recked, reck·ing, recks
To take heed of or to have caution.
[Middle English recken, from Old English reccan; see reg- in Indo-European roots.]'

I think Branching may be a time-traveller from the 15th c.

stubbornstains Sun 04-Aug-13 21:55:30

.....and she pressed the wrong button and got accidentally whizzed back mid- sentence!

ChocChaffinch Sun 04-Aug-13 21:57:09

lordy am v confused by tonight's ep

TunipTheVegedude Sun 04-Aug-13 21:57:43

Yes, look out for an extra holding a smartphone. That'll be her.

Gracelo Sun 04-Aug-13 22:04:46

Reck is the german word for horizontal bars. I think Branching is a gymnast with a very good knowledge of German.

I don't like this version of Richard and Anne at all. I want them all sweet and kind like in the Penman version and no, I don't care about historical accuracy.

Who has the beardy shouty guy who searched to the Stanleys" house?

This thread is not accepting new messages.