The White Queen

(1000 Posts)
ShadeofViolet Sun 16-Jun-13 17:06:32

Anyone else ridiculously excited?

I know Philippa Gregory's books tend to be a bit Barbara Cartland in places, and I hope the BBC havent increased it, but I still cannot wait to watch it.

Awizardsstaffhasaknobontheend Sun 16-Jun-13 21:45:15

Ok slight warning if you don't want to know anything of the story...

Elizabeth Woodville, widow of a Lancastrian lord, secretly marries Edward IV. Legend has it that she really did deliberately wait by the roadside and that it was a genuine love match and she is meant to have been a real looker. She is the mother of the future Princes in the tower, Henry VII's wife Elizabeth of York and therefore the grandmother of Henry VIII and every future English monarch.
Lots of intrigue and double dealing to come.

piratecat Sun 16-Jun-13 21:48:42

this is great

saintmerryweather Sun 16-Jun-13 21:49:15

the king is jeremy irons son

was that it?!

KnockMeDown Sun 16-Jun-13 22:00:23

I really enjoyed that - will definitely be watching next week!

Horsemad Sun 16-Jun-13 22:02:00

Well, not sure about the language, sounds a bit modern but I've never read any of the books so maybe I'm being picky?

Love the king, verrrry cute! grin

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 16-Jun-13 22:03:45

Loved it!

(But got stupidly obsessed with what appeared to be zips in her dresses too!)

littlemissnormal Sun 16-Jun-13 22:04:22

Is also based on The Kingmakers Daughter which is about Anne Neville, Warwicks daughter who marries Edwards brother Richard and becomes Queen herself.

Cherrypie32 Sun 16-Jun-13 22:04:31

A touch of Eddie Redmayne about the King I thought. Perfect for Sunday night and I'm not one for period drama usually.

Thank you wizard for the storyline fill in smile

SirBoobAlot Sun 16-Jun-13 22:15:06

Well they translating the characters reasonably well from the books, I think... Which again seem to be reasonably accurate to what we know factually.

This should be good smile

littlemissnormal Sun 16-Jun-13 22:17:34

I thought Jacquetta, Elizabeth and Warwick especially had been well cast.

SirBoobAlot Sun 16-Jun-13 22:23:42

Was incredibly impressed with the casting of Jacquetta. She's perfect!

FullOfChoc Sun 16-Jun-13 22:25:15

Fantastic!

pardonmytits Sun 16-Jun-13 22:33:03

Ooh will need to catch this on iPlayer at some point. I'm really not Philipa Gregory's biggest fan but I love the period it covers and watch anything about it. Plus, it has James Frain in it, who is just great.

Ragwort Sun 16-Jun-13 22:35:06

Bored senseless after the first 20 mins - fell asleep - I did record it, is it worth watching?

DuchessofMalfi Sun 16-Jun-13 22:36:25

Signing into this thread to add my comment. Gorgeous. Max Irons phwoarr!!!!!grin

chicaguapa Sun 16-Jun-13 22:55:39

I hope there's more Warwick in the next episode. I like a good baddie! grin I've read the books and thought it was a good episode and a promising start.

DorisIsWaiting Sun 16-Jun-13 23:10:24

I watched this expectingh to turn it off within a couple of minutes but I loved it!

The casting seemed great, and lots of female focus rather than the men which is quite refreshing.

BadRoly Sun 16-Jun-13 23:20:56

I'm another fan who wasn't disappointed (except by the zipping up bit - perhaps kings have very nimble and speedy fingers though?!) grin

Sleepyfergus Sun 16-Jun-13 23:28:45

I really enjoyed it, and the King is verrrrrrrrry easy on the eye!

Wetwood656 Sun 16-Jun-13 23:39:47

Tbf the king had had lots of practice with dresses so was probably very quick

Ellenora5 Mon 17-Jun-13 00:03:55

I enjoyed it, looking forward to next week, nice to have something decent to watch on a Sunday.

Speaking of the Irons family acting dynasty - The Borgias final series starts on Sky Atlantic tonight. Anyone going to watch? smile

Loved The White Queen, btw.

HairpinsAndLacquer Mon 17-Jun-13 08:59:43

It was good, and gosh he's good looking!

Is the lady playing Elizabeth actually English? Once or twice she sounded a bit like a Norwegian friend of mine, accent-wise. She has gorgeous hair.

This thread is not accepting new messages.