coronation street Tina/Gary storyline

(29 Posts)
HopAndStop Sat 15-Jun-13 00:14:06

I understand that Tina has the mother half of parental responsibility with Joe/Jake, but surely Gary has normal fathers parental responsibility/rights to contact and so could just apply for shared residency and have the baby living with him and Izzie half the time anyway? Or am I missing something?

braveandcrazy Sun 23-Jun-13 15:28:28

So, who registers the birth and which mum is on the birth certificate? Does The 'birth' mum (Tina) do it before handing the baby over, or would the surrogate parents usually wait and do it themselves? And has Tina already registered the birth in Corrie? I don't recall it being mentioned, although with the baby being prem, maybe it hasn't happened yet. In fact, - another question! Can prem or ill babies in hospital be registered there, rather than go to the register office?

meditrina Sun 23-Jun-13 15:33:00

The surrogate mother registers the birth.

COTS info page here. If she is unmarried, the intended father can go on BC if he goes with her to register. If she is married, the husband can go on BC, or can repudiate the surrogacy in writing, in which case the intended father can go on.

abi2790 Sun 23-Jun-13 15:43:47

This storyline has been making me so angry?! How is it that Tina can lawfully take someone else's baby and then stop them from seeing it?! I know it's not real but aarrgghh!!

braveandcrazy Sun 23-Jun-13 15:54:30

Thanks for the link Meditrina, I understand the surrogate mum registering the birth, but it's odd that her husband can be named as the father on the BC! I expect in reality that is unlikely to happen, and he is more likely to write a letter. It's all very interesting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now