Child Genius anyone??

(784 Posts)
Allthingspretty Tue 11-Jun-13 21:04:18

should be interesting

Either have a miserable first 16 years and have a nice 60, or have a happy childhood and be depressed for 60.

No inbetween then?

Hugo is a bit rude but I recognise my ASD son in him. Social skills are not his strong point either, and he likes trains and talks endlessly about his topic of interest.

Willdoitinaminute Tue 11-Jun-13 21:18:09

Bit of stealth boasting in disguise -Hugo's mums comment? I agree not nice in front of the child, but a small reference to innapropriate comments he makes may suggest Aspergers. Actually he screams out Aspergers.

girliefriend Tue 11-Jun-13 21:18:13

Also shock at 50 hours a week of chess - thats flipping ridiculous!!

When does he get time to play with his mates, chill out, climb trees, play something other than chess??!!

watfordmummy Tue 11-Jun-13 21:20:52

Feel proud though that parents have moved here to give their children a better chance. Whereas most in uk take it for granted.

RobotElephant Tue 11-Jun-13 21:21:23

Did anybody else see Hugo and instantly think of Sheldon Cooper grin

Does her mother not vet what she reads?

mummy1973 Tue 11-Jun-13 21:21:40

Not everyone wants their child to be the best...some of us want them to choose their own path with the support team bringing up the rear!

Heavywheezing Tue 11-Jun-13 21:22:04

It's fucking insulting to diagnose aspbergers in a child you've only seen for 5 minutes

And who on earth would ever chose 50 shades of grey, find out it wasn't about that literally and be disappointed?

Hope he isn't gay then.

He's SO like my son.

I can really identify with his parents. Perhaps that's why I think they are so sensible.

RobotElephant Tue 11-Jun-13 21:25:43

God, that was cringeworthy

girliefriend Tue 11-Jun-13 21:25:56

yes me Robot grin

starsandunicorns Tue 11-Jun-13 21:27:27

Starlight i thought that to do girls only play the violin my sister used to play the trumpet

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Tue 11-Jun-13 21:27:29

If he joins an orchestra there will be girls there playing the flute....and he'll possibly get a shag out of one of them when his time comes sad wtaf?

Heavywheezing Tue 11-Jun-13 21:27:57

I like the mum and dad

I'm not convinced that this child genius competition is all that different from those beauty pageants, same pushy parents just pushing their children in different ways.

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Tue 11-Jun-13 21:29:10

Totally agree Akiss

Willdoitinaminute Tue 11-Jun-13 21:29:17

Having Aspergers makes me an expert at insulting people.

Hugo's parents seem quite grounded.
The Hong Kong copper seems so intense.

Totesamazeballs Tue 11-Jun-13 21:30:34

I feel sorry for the siblings!

BarnYardCow Tue 11-Jun-13 21:30:36

An just glad mine have had a normal day at school, fresh air and some healthy food, could not be doing all that when they are so young.

Kithulu Tue 11-Jun-13 21:31:18

WTF making him play badminton (which he is not good at) so he can learn how to loose??!

Notcontent Tue 11-Jun-13 21:31:30

Ha, I knew there would be a thread!!! grin

It's all a bit cringy isn't... Always a bit off putting when kids talk about how clever they are!

Also, so far this seems to prove the point that it's not just natural talent but hours of practice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now