Aegon Championships - Queens 10-16 June Yay!

(226 Posts)
Witt Mon 10-Jun-13 08:19:58

This is the official thread for the Queens tennis unless someone has already set one up in which case this can fade into oblivion

This is the first tournament of the grass court season grin. Today we can expect 4 times Queens champion Leyton Hewitt as well as a couple of Brits playing. Andy Murray, who is the top seed, has a bye into round 2. We also have Tsonga playing in both the singles and doubles (with Mahut).

And we're back on the beeb so no annoying ad breaks jumping in and disturbing our tennis watching drooling over the players at change of ends So only 5 hours to go until it's starts grin

And weekends, I'm not that keen at work!!

GameSetAndMatch Sun 23-Jun-13 19:18:00

Okay I'm ready too with a namechange!

We need a brand new thread. Exclusively for the big W. Who's going to start it?

nooooo- rubbish! The end of the first week does throw up some good stuff, though- and weather permitting the following Friday should be mens semi final day.

Need to stock up onAldi Pimmsgrin

Both weeks! Rookie mistake!

Argh! I've just remembered I've agreed to work extra days over the next two weeks. My only day off is Friday but weeks.

testing
grin

Raahh Sun 23-Jun-13 18:43:13

I am very excited about another excuse to sit on my bum for a fortnight Wimbledon.

I will dust off my Wimby namechange asap.grin

magimedi Fri 21-Jun-13 22:45:40

I saw:

Jamie Hampton win over Wozniaki

Vesnina win over Wickmayer

Lopez beat Dodig

Siomon beat Seppi.

The Hamton/Wozniaki match was great - very up & down & three great sets.

FarleyD Fri 21-Jun-13 21:20:36

Glad you enjoyed magi, who did you see? My friend went to The Boodles yesterday, she said it was fab. Have registered interest on-line for next year!

magimedi Fri 21-Jun-13 21:00:39

It was great & there was only about 5 mins of rain. Bloody freezing, however.

Very 'intimate' court - you are so close to the players - it was just fab.

Roll on Monday & wimbledon - will only be seeing that on TV however.

Raahh Fri 21-Jun-13 09:01:49

magi- enjoy, hope the weather stays dry!

For years I used to go to a pre-Wimbledon tournament in Didsbury, saw loads of players there-Edberg won a couple of times, and was where Sampras won his first grass tourny- Sadly, it no longer takes place. Used to be one of the highlights of my year!

magimedi Fri 21-Jun-13 08:42:33

We have been given a pair of tickets to watch the semi finals at Eastbourne today!!

I am SO excited!!!!

marjproops Thu 20-Jun-13 19:21:46

ooh, how gorgeous is Marin Cilic? gets more gorj by the day!!!

marjproops Thu 20-Jun-13 19:06:48

do i dare???????

a question. they were talking today that theres not much hope for the next player coming up after Murray...Ward/Evans and the like.

but kids cant afford to play/compete (oh go away castle-ATP tour uncovered on in background!)/afford all the stuff, and the LTA just seem to put more (pat) cash grin into facilities and ticket prices yet the players cant get anywhere...

all these people moaning theres no one follwing Andy yet they cant asfford it. why dont they help more?

Raahh Thu 20-Jun-13 18:50:04

Did anyone see this on the BBC sports website. Yet more evidence (as if it were neededgrin) of the fact Andrew Castle is indeed, a twat.

apology to David Lloyd

marjproops Thu 20-Jun-13 18:05:07

skysports 2 tonight 7pm ATP tour uncovered theyll be highlighting the chaaity match at Queens last week!

Witt Thu 20-Jun-13 07:57:12

I knew it was allowed in Davis Cup, just surprised to see it happening on the main circuit.

marjproops Wed 19-Jun-13 17:19:38

witt its allowed in some tournaments, such as the davies cup and fed cup.

Witt Wed 19-Jun-13 16:33:05

Since when is on court coaching allowed in tournaments?

Witt Wed 19-Jun-13 08:19:02

marjproops The same reason there is a half-naked Andy on the cover of most magazines this week - because the media are bigging up putting too much pressure on our perceived only chance at a wimbledon title. I'd love Heather or Laura to win the women's before Andy wins the men's.

marjproops Tue 18-Jun-13 19:10:35

how come ANdy got glory for Queens yet Baltacha won title at Nottingham and barely made the news?

Raahh Tue 18-Jun-13 16:58:29

not sure if there is an Eastbourne one.
Laura has won her match though.

DD1 has rebelled and taken over the tv remote nowgrin

Witt Tue 18-Jun-13 16:28:17

I've been away without wifi at the weekend and I missed this thread.

Have we got an Eastbourne one going yet?

marjproops Mon 17-Jun-13 12:03:57

yea, from day 1 hes been one!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 17-Jun-13 09:53:25

Thanks marjproops!

Believe me, I'm well aware of what a prize fuckface Andrew Castle is ... <<tennis-watching veteran>>. Unfortunately he gets everywhere. You just have to put up with him by turning the sound down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now