The Americans

(59 Posts)
bootsycollins Sun 09-Jun-13 09:57:39

OMG! I'm loving the whole espionage KGB agents infiltrating America as citizens thing. Matthew Rhys PHWOAR! I just wish the episodes were longer, I'm soooooo addicted.

webwiz Sun 16-Jun-13 22:15:20

I was wondering who was looking after the kids as well Optimist1!

diddl Mon 17-Jun-13 09:58:35

How old is the daughter?

I think that the kids are just left!

What was the point of killing the mother last night?

A warning to others?

Because they didn't trust her?

So that the baby is another potential spy?

I did laugh that the FBI thought that she must be KGB, though, as opposed to her getting help because she was married to & had the baby of an operative.

buildingmycorestrength Mon 17-Jun-13 11:46:09

I thought that about the kids too... I'm such a mum. Happens in all sorts of shows, doesn't it, and is almost never a plot point.

MrsHoolie Mon 17-Jun-13 12:20:36

I thought the Mother of the baby killed herself?

And wasn't she supposed to be taken somewhere warm with beaches?

UC Mon 17-Jun-13 12:24:38

She didn't kill herself, I'm sure. I think they killed the mother because she'd seen their faces, she'd seen too much, guessed too much, and made it look like an overdose. But I think the new older lady did it, not the couple.

They didn't need to kill the baby, as he's too young, so he's been returned (I presume) to the grandparents, Robert's parents.

diddl Mon 17-Jun-13 12:51:51

Ah, bless you 'MrsHoolie*grin

They took the baby to GPs in Russia.

There was no reason to think she had ever been involved in drugs, so I assume that the KGB killed her.

Actually, when she got into the back of Grannie's van, I thought that they were going to be gassedblush

buildingmycorestrength Mon 17-Jun-13 13:20:27

MrsHoolie, you might need to watch more telly involving the mafia, criminal gangs and spies grin.

Mum was definitely 'taken out' by the KGB...The beaches thing was just a line to get them to trust her. I thought the baby was for it as well.

MrsHoolie Mon 17-Jun-13 14:34:58

Looks like I'm a bit naive!

So the American/KGB couple knew she'd end up being killed then?

bootsycollins Mon 17-Jun-13 14:47:49

No, the American/KGB couple genuinley believed that their people would send Roberts wife and baby to live somewhere safe with new identities and KGB protection etc. I think that when the wife twigs (American/KGB wife) that she's being used as a pawn to do the dirty work for the cause of the motherland and that actually the KGB don't give a shit about her and her husband and children then she'll deflect.

Phew!

buildingmycorestrength Mon 17-Jun-13 14:59:46

I think they suspected, tbh.

Also, I think either Phil or Elizabeth will be given a mission to kill the other at some point. Prob Elizabeth to kill Phil.

bootsycollins Mon 17-Jun-13 15:10:09

I think their going to be double agents. Gregory was gorgeous by the way. I felt really bad for Phil when he 'agreed' with Elizabeth that the falling in love just didnt happen for them.

UC Mon 17-Jun-13 16:30:57

but isn't she falling in love with him now? And she said so, and he didn't really say anything at all. Maybe it's too late for him now.

I think the kids are there for a reason, and there will be something that will put them in danger. I think they'll have to choose between their kids and their motherland. Why else would they have Elizabeth saying that she would do anything for the motherland, die, kill etc, if that isn't going to be horribly tested at some point....

Wonder how they manage to deal with bringing kids up who are so totally American, and presumably everything that Phil and Elizabeth are working against.

buildingmycorestrength Mon 17-Jun-13 17:27:57

So interesting. I agree the kids will be a plot point, but babysitting issues are not likely to be the pivotal thing!

buildingmycorestrength Mon 17-Jun-13 18:47:00

Or maybe they will, and we'll all feel smug for noticing this ishooo.....grin

Bananagio Mon 17-Jun-13 20:28:59

Anyone know why this show has disappeared from itv player? Dh out, ds in bed, am all ready to watch latest episode and i cant find it! Help!

Optimist1 Mon 17-Jun-13 20:57:37

Just checked and all three episodes are showing available on ITVPlayer. I just typed the title in the search box. Good luck!

Bananagio Mon 17-Jun-13 21:39:34

Thanks, for some reason it isnt being shown on ipad but have got it in the pc. Watching now smile

Optimist1 Mon 17-Jun-13 22:20:37

Enjoy!

alpinemeadow Tue 18-Jun-13 06:24:38

Sweet mrs hoolie. When the new woman mentioned white beaches i kind of suspected.... I thought we would hear gunshots 30 seconds after they drove off. 'They' would have wanted to keep oscar for the motherland as a good comrade i think - so the mother had to go...

I don't think that is the last of it - i think eliz and philip may find out from a news report about the mother and one of them - probably elizabeth - will be genuinely shocked, and it may lead to a crisis of loyalty...

Yes, why wasn't it on ipad bananagio? I thought it just couldnt load, but i think you're right- not there for some reason.

Bananagio Tue 18-Jun-13 07:33:55

According to itv player twitter its because they don't have the license any more for mobile devices for this particular programme.
Loving it. Love a bit of KGB, poisoned umbrella tip, cold war drama

alpinemeadow Sun 23-Jun-13 16:49:51

Thanks Bananagio - I didn't realise - don't think that was explained on ipad, or maybe I missed it.

Yesterday's episode was another gripper! I hadn't realised anything was up with FBI man's marriage. Also interesting the way his relationship with his co-agent is getting strained - I did think co-agent might be getting a bit cheesed off with FBI man getting all the limelight in one of the earlier episodes. Will there be a showdown there as well?

onedev Sun 30-Jun-13 22:58:28

Just found this thread - I think it's a fab show & absolutely love Matthew Rhys!

I wonder about the children too - surely it must be a real dilemma for them to bring up American children, although obviously pivotal to their cover story!

I'd love to know how much of this went on in the 80s - both in the US & USSR!

alpinemeadow Sun 14-Jul-13 08:27:39

So, last night's episode.

Did the son exist? Irina seemed to be saying no, at the end (don't tell me if you 'know'! (ie from future eps), but all speculation avidly devoured!) But why lie if she was not(as i had suspected but wrongly) trying to 'test' him for the kgb?
As for upright fbi man....no good whatever is going to come of that.

alpinemeadow Sun 14-Jul-13 20:59:32

Any watchers in the evening crowd? Still puzzling here,

buildingmycorestrength Sun 14-Jul-13 22:02:20

I was left unclear as to whether Irina really had a son...and was also suspicious that she was testing him...sorry no help...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now