GIRO D'ITALIA starts this Saturday, anybody else watching.....

(52 Posts)

...I can't wait. Wiggo thinks he can win it, although I do feel sorry for Chris Froome being sidelined.

I was hoping the MNers who followed Le Tour with me last year when I was pregnant will find this thread (I was CappuccinoCannoliLover then!). smile

I haven't forgotten Hoogerland's crash a couple of years ago, the barbed wire! Ouch!

Mondrian Wed 01-May-13 20:04:09

He was amazing afterwards, no fuss and very shy of the media attention. Pity as he had such great form that year.

lljkk Wed 01-May-13 20:07:17

Rather bummed it won't be on Freeview.

I think everyone should be able to watch the cycling, all these other sports, even figure skating are covered. Why no cycling?

I am excited for the May 10th stage, it's 'my' bit of Italy. The stages are so much fun building up to the cyclists arriving, a real party atmosphere, wish we were there now. I still really want to go to a Tour stage one year, the Alps or Pyrenees.

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 06:56:32

Truth is that there is no cycling culture in England, there was Tommy Simpson and that's about it. on the other hand traditional power houses such as France, Belgium, Holland, Italy, Spain can each provide a long list of heroes.

You only need to drive/cycle in Flanders on a Saturday or Sunday morning in January to witness the popularity of cycling, incidentally Belgium has 6000 cycling clubs. This matters as cycling is not a spectator sport and therefore it is only watched by cyclist.

Whilst Wiggins & Co have had a massive effect in bringing cycling to the fore in England it takes time for the effect to roller ball to the same extent and till then cycling will remain in shadow of popular spectator sports.

You're sadly right. When we drive to Italy every Summer, as soon as we leave the UK every country we drive through there are cyclists and cycling clubs on the roads.

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 11:01:12

But all is not lost, cycling in England is growing much faster than any other country in Europe, specialized sell more bikes in UK than they do in rest of Europe! Not sure how long you been a roadie but I hardly ever saw any cyclists on road a few years ago. The numbers seems to multiply every year ... Keep on cycling and make sure you do your bit by introducing more people to the sport of cycling.

Ds2 is a huge fan of road cycling, and I am a huge fan of the Tour de France in particular, and a less huge fan of road cycling in general, so we shall be watching, I expect. I do rather like my men in lycra! Dh has offered to put on his lycra cycling shorts for me, but it's just not the same, somehow. blush

We did go and see a stage of the Tour go past when we were on holiday in France one year, and ds2 and dh have been to see stages of the Tour of Britain.

lljkk Thu 02-May-13 11:55:30

LittleAbruzz: make sure to get some pics of Sir Brad to put on your MN profile!

mummytime Thu 02-May-13 12:01:21

Have you heard about David Millar? His wife being obviously an ideal cycling wife, gave birth this morning, just in time for him to fly to the Giro.

MissRenataFlitworth Thu 02-May-13 12:41:39

I'll be glued to Eurosport HD. The Giro is my favourite Grand Tour. Freeview coverage would usually be on ITV4, but I've checked the listings for next week and there's nothing. I wouldn't watch their coverage anyway as the ad breaks come every five minutes and Phil'n'Paul are well past it and forever misidentifying riders and miscalling tactics.

Can't be doing with Sky and no great fan of Wiggins. I'd like to see Nibali do well. Hope the weather is good and that everyone gets round safe.

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 13:03:43

My money is on Nibali too as he has a nice kick to pick up the time bonuses on this years relatively shorter climbs but expect Wiggins to pick up the pick Jersey after stage 8 (or 2 if team does well) before handing it over to Nibali in the final week.

lljkk Thu 02-May-13 13:30:49

Agree I would bet on Nibali if I bet on anyone.

Last year's Vuelta was punishing, so hilly. And the Spaniards happily ganged up on Froome.

Thing about Italy is, other than a patch up north, it's all frigging hills & mountains. I presume that Brailsford has carefully done the maths & formulae & has worked out which (Froome or Wiggins) has best form for which route this year (Giro vs. Tour). Taking into account Wiggins is keen to have the Giro.

It will be very interesting to look at Giro profiles, see if they suit BW.

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 13:45:42

Last years Tour with 100 km ITT was designed perfect for Wiggins. On the other hand I wonder if Wiggins is at the same condition or as motivated as last year. He also didn't have Contador to worry about so this years Giro & Tour will be a whole new experience and more exciting to watch.

MissRenataFlitworth Thu 02-May-13 14:36:09

I'd certainly rather watch Contador attack than Brailsford's team calculating their marginal gains. Wiggins isn't exactly exciting, is he? Looks as if this Giro is less mountainous and has more TTs than usual: hope they haven't ruined it.

Should be interesting - I see Basso is out with a cyst but that's probably face-saving. He hasn't been in any kind of form recently. Who else might do well? Sanchez? Must admit I have a bit of a soft spot for Euskaltel and used to be a bit of a fan of Iban Mayo back in the day. Scarponi's best days are probably behind him now. I'd love to see a European, and preferably an Italian, win it.

CinnabarRed Thu 02-May-13 14:37:58

I have a thumping great crush on Basso - very sorry to see he won't be there for me to lust over.

I had to laugh when watching the Giro last year, I think it was a stage around Como and someone had painted on the road 'Basso, la farmacia e qui'!

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 17:03:30

Here is my current fav quotation, MUSTAFA SAYAR Winner of ToT "4 OUT OF 5 DOCTORS TOLD ME to abandon CYCLING. THE FIFTH doctor (from Canary Islands) AND ASKED ME what my DOG'S NAME is.

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 17:05:53

The joke is a lot funnier if you had seen him struggle in continental tours ... Now he wins a pro tour out of nowhere!!!

Mondrian Thu 02-May-13 17:08:53

BTW Iban Basso's dog name is/was Birillo.

lljkk Thu 02-May-13 18:03:00

The Comic (Cycling Weekly) has a good stage by stage summary in this week's issue, if anyone else likes to have a paper guide.

rubyrubyruby Thu 02-May-13 18:05:35

I'm here!

Hello ruby! Great, there's a few of us on here now. smile Looking forward to Saturday, although my friend is visiting with her DD. She isn't into cycling, although her DH is. May have to record and avoid the thread until I've watched it.

IShallCallYouSquishy Thu 02-May-13 19:24:43

My husband will be angry

Another good sprint finish yesterday for Cav. I must admit, I thought he had lost it, but he always pulls it out the bag and nice to see him looking so happy. Poor Matthew Goss though! Napoli looked lovely in the sun.

Time trial today. They're not my fav to watch (I love the mountain stages), but I am looking forward to seeing Ischia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now