Keeping Britain Alive

(9 Posts)
wonderstuff Tue 30-Apr-13 21:22:40

I think the format is fab, so much respect for the health professionals! But am getting annoyed by constant reference to how expensive it is. No mention that its one of the most cost effective healthcare systems in the world.

The mobile chest X-ray bus is amazing!

SimoneDeBeaver Tue 30-Apr-13 21:29:44

It is inspiring. I'd noticed the frequent mentions of cost - perhaps the programme-makers were constantly amazed by how much world-class and very expensive kit is available??

SimoneDeBeaver Tue 30-Apr-13 21:31:46

MORE on costs!

Perhaps also because viewers may be thinking 'That's my taxes'!

wonderstuff Tue 30-Apr-13 21:33:57

Interesting the pricing at Alder Hay, my mate is a pead. nurse, she said years ago that would be a good idea, it happens in private care.

We should be so proud that we make these resources available to everyone.

wonderstuff Tue 30-Apr-13 21:35:20

It would be so good though to mention how much much cheaper the NHS treatment is than US equivalent care.

SimoneDeBeaver Tue 30-Apr-13 21:38:03

Yes, but shocked that as one of the largest buyers of medical equipment in the world the brain surgeon was suggesting that they don't negotiate a decent discount.

wonderstuff Tue 30-Apr-13 21:40:45

Bless her

BenjaminButton172 Tue 30-Apr-13 22:42:15

The cost thing seems to be a reoccuring theme. I think it is quite good in a way. There was a guy on a few weeks ago who had to get xrays when all he needed was rest & paracetomol. Also there was an alcoholic in & he wasted their time too. It points out how much it costs the nhs dealing with timewasters & hopefully people will think twice before going to hospital for silly things.

timidviper Tue 30-Apr-13 23:08:21

Possibly they are trying to educate the public that the NHS does cost, even though it is free at the point of care but the problem is these messages don't get through to the people who need them. Today I have had to persuade one lady that she did need an item on prescription because she was worried it was expensive yet I had another patient with a long term condition that potentially could spiral out of control not turn up to an appointment I had set up with her agreement with 2 healthcare professionals, one of whom had travelled from another site to see her without any care to the wasted NHS costs. Some people will never be responsible as they do not take any cost message on board.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now