Dr Who has really gone off, hasnt it?

(356 Posts)
Snog Sat 27-Apr-13 19:23:13

Dr Who used to be genius...it`s gone really downhill now hasn't it?

Louise1956 Wed 05-Jun-13 14:55:50

Don't really care much for the new ones anyway, I'm more of an old Dr Who fan, but my sons seem to be happy enough with the new ones, and it is a kid's show after all.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sat 25-May-13 22:39:45

Aw OYBBK sad

I miss Doctor Who sad

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 24-May-13 22:42:24

oh well that's a clincher, then, isn't it? he's got to be this valeyard fella. i take it he shut the doors after him and left all of gallifrey to burn in everlasting regenerative hell? tsk.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 24-May-13 22:10:02
AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 24-May-13 21:58:33

i read that somewhere... but tbh then i watched it again and couldn't see a thing.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 24-May-13 21:55:06

Has anyone clocked that John Hurt is wearing Christopher Ecclestones Leather Jacket and Paul McGanns waistcoat?

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Fri 24-May-13 21:35:47

it was indeed my guess but (and i cannot stress this enough) i am R U B B I S H at this. so i'm now all about the valeyard chappie, he sounds ace.

Trill Fri 24-May-13 12:22:12

Aitch - I agree (I think) - my guess was that John Hurt is the zero-th doctor - the person that he was before he became "The Doctor".

Is that the same as your guess?

Trill Fri 24-May-13 12:19:41

The whisper men reminded me of The Gentlemen as well

slug Mon 20-May-13 16:01:15

"Derek....Derek Smalls"

SoupDragon Mon 20-May-13 15:45:16

When the tomb-tardis doors opened, I wasn't listening closely and was convinced the DR had replied with something like "Steve" grin

slug Mon 20-May-13 15:39:33

I maintain that the Doctor's real name is Derek and that is why he never wants to reveal it.

SoupDragon Mon 20-May-13 14:38:37

Captain Jack.... <<drifts off in an unrealistic daydream>>

Jux Mon 20-May-13 14:21:54

Oh, I know I'm being unreasonable grin

(It still annoys me though, and I still loathe River.) wink

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 20-May-13 13:55:59

I'd rather see a bit of kissing than lots of unnecessary violence (luckily this doesn't happen on Dr Who!)

I think the move to this in modern Dr Who (captain Jack etc) is a better reflection of society personally.

fancyanother Mon 20-May-13 13:51:51

jux Sorry, I disagree too. He was kissing his wife, not stripping her naked and shagging her on the Tardis floor!

And do aliens not have relationships? River is the closest thing to his own species in the universe. He has had a grandchild, so he's clearly had 'relations' before!

I too love the bonkers Doctor/River love story- its my favourite ever too!

RustyBear Mon 20-May-13 11:26:20

Me too!
Every time I hear 'Amoureuse' I always think of the Doctor...

teejwood Mon 20-May-13 10:10:27

Oh and am with SES on the meeting DT thing ^^ grin

teejwood Mon 20-May-13 10:09:12

I agree that River and the Doctor snogging seems right, because they are much more equal in terms of time travel, intellect etc. And he has acknowledged her as his wife, so again it's entirely appropriate in terms of the plot. The other time I don't mind it is when it has a real place in the plot eg The Unicorn and the Wasp (with Donna snogging DT to give him a shock, which was hilarious).

So yes, sorry Jux, I'm in the agree to disagree camp.

SoupDragon Mon 20-May-13 10:06:41

a) he's an alien - unrealistic
Um... River isn't entirely human what with the regenerating thing!

b) it's a kids' show - inappropriate
As has been said - they are married.

mummytime Mon 20-May-13 10:06:40

Also River isn't totally human!

It's not a kids show though. It's "family entertainment". That's like saying Merlin was a kids show.

Sarah Jane adventures was aimed directly at kids, that's why it was on cbbc. Yes to all intents and purposes he is an alien, but so is river, kind of.

And is snogging inappropriate for kids? Because I am inflicting inappropriateness on ds all the time!

I'm sorry jux we will have to agree to disagree on this one. smile

Wishiwasanheiress Mon 20-May-13 09:13:34

Kids shouldn't see adults, who are married in the story, kiss? That's patently ridiculous.

I think they do a great job of trying to weave an overall story into smaller adventures. I thought the last one tied up loose ends fine and set up 50yrs celebrations well.

John hurt made me giggle though. Fab voice hasn't he?

SESthebrave Mon 20-May-13 09:07:00

Not sure - if I met an alien like DT, I'd probably be quite happy with a snog grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now