Dr Who has really gone off, hasnt it?

(356 Posts)
Snog Sat 27-Apr-13 19:23:13

Dr Who used to be genius...it`s gone really downhill now hasn't it?

marjproops Sat 11-May-13 20:16:03

there are 2 or 3 DW threads around, just been on another one to say this episode was fabby too.

love Warwick Davis.

and the nods to the old DWs.

ladymalfoy Sat 11-May-13 20:20:06

That was shite. A few good bits but utter tosh. Can't believe it's from the man who bought us 'Neverwhere'.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sat 11-May-13 20:23:47

I loved it!!!

iklboo Sat 11-May-13 20:29:26

Loved Warwick but was a bit meh about the rest of it. It was no 'Doctor's Wife'. Too Borg with the almost instant upgrades.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sat 11-May-13 20:44:01

and also completely inconsistent... if they can whizz about, why not whizz all the time. why wait around to be zapped by a fat soldier?

also... i think warwick davies is a teeeeerrible straight actor. too pretendy-thinky.

I thought it was rubbish. Bring back the old cybermen, not stupid upgrade instantly (like the Borg) led by a bonkers leader.

Bah.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sat 11-May-13 20:55:35

well, i enjoyed next week's... hope you do too, salvage something from this season. hugely disappointed in gaimani , can't see what was gained from sexing up the cybermen.

That's good to know Aitch. I'm glad this wasn't the season finale!

MrsJohnDeere Sat 11-May-13 21:58:45

Dh and I are huge Dr Who fans but we turned off tonight's episode after 5 minutes.

The only half decent one this series was the one last week, the rest have been dire.

MavisGrind Sat 11-May-13 22:33:14

Oh, but it's so sad though. You look at an episode like Blink, or a series with a companion like Donna Noble and they were such great, fun, scary, clever stories.

I can't work out what's gone wrong with this series - I found Amy Pond deeply, deeply irritating but it was so much better than this one (and I never thought I'd miss Amy).

I'm really hoping that River Song isn't wasted in the last one.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 11-May-13 22:42:24

I am really losing interest. It's just so limp! sad

Pixel Sat 11-May-13 23:05:16

I'm not really sure what the problem is either. I used to watch each episode several times but now once is more than enough. I think it's lots of little things. I don't like all the love interest stuff and when the companions march in and start ordering other characters around it doesn't seem right. What makes Clara such an authority? She can't even control the wooden acting kids she's supposed to be nannying.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 11-May-13 23:12:52

Bland, boring, no depth, too manic, no tension, pathetic story lines... You used to get so much crammed into the one hour slot. Now it's just like a children's tv series! In fact I've watched more enjoyable children's tv! sad the BBC have really dropped the ball.

poorbuthappy Sat 11-May-13 23:16:14

I turned it off before the end. I just couldn't pretend to myself that I was enjoying it anymore!
My favourite ever episode was Blink. And there is just no comparison at all to this series. It's pants. And it makes me sad. confused

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 11-May-13 23:33:08

The beginning of this was that rubbish Christmas special in the forest! I have never felt so let down!

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sat 11-May-13 23:45:39

i think christmas eps are inadmissible as evidence, they have such a hard job to do. (plus i quite liked that episode... grin)

CounselorTroi Sun 12-May-13 02:04:30

I'd report Clara the nanny to Ofsted.

Oh no! I've been out. Is it wort watching? I will have a hangover in the morning!!! grin

FairPhyllis Sun 12-May-13 03:03:55

The problem is that it's not character driven anymore, it's puzzle driven and ooh-look-isn't-the-Doctor-clever driven. So they didn't bother to give Clara a personality, just a handful of "feisty" quips. Much as was the case with Amy. So you don't actually care about whether anybody survives anymore.

The only good episodes this season have been 'Hide' and 'Cold War'. Warwick Davis did his best in this ep but he was wasted.

If Clara turns out to be River Song or some such nonsense next week I will probably take the TV out to the end of the garden and throw it into the river.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 12-May-13 06:11:40

<<stealth boast about having a river at the end of the garden>> grin grin wink

Snapespeare Sun 12-May-13 08:06:31

I need to watch it again. All I can remember is Matt smith was great and Clara is suddenly some ass-kicking military sergeant type. Not quite sure how that happened.

Next weeks trailer tho' ooooo!

FairPhyllis Sun 12-May-13 08:11:44

Well I was going to say throw it from the attic like that MNer who threw her DS's Xbox out of the window, but I'd have to carry it up the stairs, which seems like unnecessary exertion.

It's a big proper industrial river estuary with booming foghorns and stuff Saggy. It's not some chi chi River Cottage type setup. grin

ClaraOswald Sun 12-May-13 16:02:37

Just seen last nights episode. Really enjoyed it.

Osmiornica Sun 12-May-13 17:38:07

The only thing I liked about this episode was spotting Castell Coch and Caerphily castle! It's definitely veered into the CBBC territory which may not be a bad thing for the children watching but dull for us adults.

Pixel Sun 12-May-13 20:40:52

Next weeks trailer tho' ooooo!.

That's the other thing that annoys me, trailers! God I'm such a grump.
I know all the programmes do them nowadays but I really think it's taken something away from Doctor Who. There used to be a nail-biting cliffhanger where you'd be left sitting with your mouth open for several seconds (or was that just me?) and then you'd be all desperate for next week to see another glimpse. Now it's 'oh no shock' and seconds later 'here's a bit more of Doctor Who'. It's deflating somehow and takes away the drama.
Of course I know we aren't getting two-parters and cliffhangers this season but that's part of the problem too. There's just no suspense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now