I love Lucy Worlsey (not in that way, I mean, her programmes!)

(29 Posts)
marjproops Mon 22-Apr-13 21:05:17

'Fit to rule '(although I've got the horrible history song 'born to rule ' in my head).
BBC2.

She's got such a sweet yet informative style about her and really presents historical programmes well.

She really throws herself into the things she talks about.

Love her programmes.

marjproops Sat 27-Apr-13 20:16:15

not you did panic me there for a mo! didnt want a Lucy prog clashing with another history prog (i dont get catch up).

hope its her presenting it tho, thatd be a double whammy.

TunipTheVegedude Sat 27-Apr-13 20:21:29

I love her and her clothes.
I quite liked the stuff she said about being too busy with her job to want to have kids. I didn't take her reference to being 'educated out' of it as an insult to mothers, just that she is absorbed by her work. I have a dd and would like her to grow up with a few Lucy Worsleys around to show that there is more than one way to have a fulfilling life as a woman.

ppeatfruit Sun 28-Apr-13 18:31:01

Yes Tunip I agree there are too many people who have L.O.'s for the wrong reasons IMO.

louisianablue2000 Wed 01-May-13 00:11:52

When i heard her comment about being 'educated out of having children' I knew exactly what she meant. She is slightly younger than me but will have been subjected to the same messages at school in the eighties that were intended to reduce teenage pregnancy, all about how you should concentrate on your education. Before you know it you're in your mid thirties, educated to the hilt and in an interesting job with no desire yet to change your life. We are having children much later than our parent's generation did and more and more educated women are not having kids at all and that's because we were encouraged to work at our education much more than our mothers which gas given us more options.

I remember my Mum telling me that my friends would all get engaged on our graduation day (because that is what happened to hers), in fact no-one did but half my year went on to do PhDs (admittedly I was a scientist from a very good department and by that point the expansion of the universities were underway but marriage and kids were the last thing on my mind in my 20s). Wasn't there an old feminist joke about 'oh, I forgot to have kids', I think that is what she is alluding to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now