THE ICE CREAM GIRLS ITV FRI 9pm

(67 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Fri 19-Apr-13 15:53:12

starts tonight (friday) 9pm ITV

3 parter about two friends - Serena and Poppy who were teenagers in 1995

Serena was seeing their teacher Marcus who then gets murdered

Poppy serves 17years and is now released though said she didnt do it

Serena acquitted and hasnt told anyone including hubby her past

Be interesting if story follows the book - unlike Crickly hall which changed things sad

sunshinenanny Sat 20-Apr-13 21:37:34

diddl, read the book if you want to be gripped! much better, really good ending; But I doubt if this 3 parter will stick to it!

Blonds I think they are trying to be clever and think they can improve on the author, I prefer it when the author adapts his or her own work for the screen it rarely works when someone else does it as their ego takes over.

It's sometimes neccesary to make minor alterations to a story for filming but this goes far beyond that

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 24-Apr-13 19:59:21

intrigued what they have changed from the book so far apart from poppy looking for serena and her not liking her stepfather

i assume in the book both were seeing the teacher? and also assume as he raped serena she kills him?

looking forward to fridays episode smile

PenelopePortrait Wed 24-Apr-13 22:01:28

I've read that they've changed the ending! Why adapt it in the first place then?

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 26-Apr-13 13:15:11

Just watched. Bit disappointed. I read this a few years ago and remember loving it.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 26-Apr-13 19:27:00

I'm out tonight on bubbly with a friend so will watch over the weekend

JambalayaCodfishPie Sat 27-Apr-13 08:35:26

Having watched the second one, I'm pretty sure they've changed an awful lot from the book.

diddl Sat 27-Apr-13 20:22:24

Just watched the second.

From the trailer for next week, it looks as if they show Poppy stabbing him??!!

If so-maybe she did it for Serena, & that's why she says she's innocent?

Don't like the Serena character at all.

zukiecat Sat 27-Apr-13 20:50:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

diddl Sat 27-Apr-13 21:09:30

Yes, I agree.

I suppose the author was trying to make a point with the book about abuse & how even a well educated girl like Serena could fall for it yet supposedly the needy(?) less well brought up Poppy sees through it more easily.

Serena is so hooked "but I love him & he's so sorry after"-just makes me want to scream at her!!

But if Poppy really didn't do it or could have got a lesser sentence had Serena told the truth (which she's had 17yrs to do), I think I#m going to be pretty pissed off tbh.

diddl Sat 27-Apr-13 21:14:45

Although I'm also thinking she daren't admit the abuse due to embarrassment-but lying under oath.

Maybe she genuinely believes that he didn't abuse her??!!

It's all so weighted against Poppy.

At the end of the day he was a sleazeball having sex with his 16yrold pupil!

zukiecat Sun 28-Apr-13 11:52:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

diddl Sun 28-Apr-13 12:27:21

Read an extract on Kindle last night & Serena was 19 & the older one.

Poppy 18.

So was he an ex teacher & not having underage sex?

Not that it means he wasn't abusive, but changes it somewhat!

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 28-Apr-13 20:59:53

Teacher is an absolute perve and bully and rapist sad

Serena really does have rose tinted glasses with him sad

sunshinenanny Mon 29-Apr-13 13:40:31

diddle The book is over a longer period and Serena is underage when he seduces her, also both girls are in a relationship with him and it's when they start to mature that they both decide to finish with him and it turns into a nightmare for them! both girls really believe the other actually killed him so Serena isn't as bad as the serial makes her.

The girls at the trial are not really believed when they try to tell how abusive Marcus was, There are reasons for this! I think serena being a couple of years younger than Poppy is the main reason she gets off but can't quite remember that. It is accepted by the judge that Marcus was flawed in his taste for underage girls but not that he was violent. The girls are portrayed as little temptresses who took advantage of his flawed personality.

In the book at the end only the reader knows who the killer was and the last chapter is as if it's written by Marcus

sunshinenanny Mon 29-Apr-13 13:42:27

I am so dissapointed by this adaptation!

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 29-Apr-13 20:46:13

im looking forwARD TO reading the book

CalamityKate Wed 01-May-13 12:23:40

Loving it.

I bet neither of them dunnit. I bet it was his other girlfriend.

diddl Wed 01-May-13 12:58:06

Yes I think that as well-with the thought of saving P&S?

But then to let a teenager go to prison for 17yrs!

Clawdy Wed 01-May-13 14:09:07

Marcus is so unattractive...or is it just me? and that slacks/polo shirt combo makes him look even worse. Not the sort of man girls would develop a crush on...bad casting.

diddl Wed 01-May-13 14:12:04

But sometimes it's about the attention from an older man, isn't it?-not that he looks that much older!

Don't see why he would have to be "drop dead gorgeous".
I like that they are all so ordinary looking.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 02-May-13 17:21:27

Kate - you think so?

Maybe she didn't like the fact her bf was a perve and shagging 2 teenagers ......

CalamityKate Thu 02-May-13 17:36:10

Yep. I reckon that'll be the twist.

I hope they manage to prove it though; if she gets away with it and it turns out Poppy's been in prison for nothing with no vindication it'll be depressing!

PenelopePortrait Fri 03-May-13 21:43:52

WTF??

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 03-May-13 22:00:45

Boring, really boring.

diddl Fri 03-May-13 22:02:25

Oh!

I thought that it would have been Marlene as well.

How convenient that the mother was dyinghmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now