BROADCHURCH mon 9pm itv thread 2

(429 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Tue 16-Apr-13 12:03:18

Is it ok for me to start a new thread.

Can anyone tell me why Ellie says about Will Mellor's character:

"if you go into the bookshop in town all his books are in there"?
he is KNOWN to the police for this, plus the petty convictions, vehicle theft and conspiracy to defraud, they say in EP 4. So why is he allowed to write and sell these books?

teejwood Thu 18-Apr-13 23:26:59

Oh - the other thing that I noticed - it's probably nothing - but since the start of the series most of the publicity shots of the "whole" cast have always seemed to be missing one character - but there is another figure shadowed in the SOCO tent, who you can't see.

Make of that what you will <ties into my theory so I likes it emoticon>
grin

XBenedict Fri 19-Apr-13 00:58:06

So could it be the soco that asked Ellie out? That's just too obscure and random isn't it? Nah it's got to be Joe with everything Ellie was saying to PQ on Monday about not knowing what was going on in her own house.

AllOverIt Fri 19-Apr-13 07:04:07

Can't wait until Monday now!

AuntieMaggie Fri 19-Apr-13 07:18:20

Watching the clips above I just remembered that I thought it weird that Beth didn't know where her son was, wasn't at all concerned or that he was missing til the teacher said... Is that realistic for a boy of that age?

MandragoraWurzelstock Fri 19-Apr-13 07:26:06

yes, he had a paper round so could easily have gone to school before they woke up.

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 07:30:06

XBenedict - no, not the SOCO. When you look at the pictures it's one of the main cast members who is not included - so when you think about it you could assume that character is the person in the SOCO tent. And why would they be there unless they were the reason for the SOCO tent in the first place? I can't believe it's taken me so long to spot it, actually confused

AuntieMaggie she wouldn't have missed Danny as she thought he had just got up early for his paper round, when the rest of them had slept in due to the power cut/Danny stopping all the clocks in the house.

There is a real difference between the way Danny is parented - where he is given a LOT of freedom for such a young boy, by parents who were very young when he was born and Tom, whose parents were older and more world weary/aware of the dangers of the world perhaps, and who keep him on a comparatively short leash. I can imagine that in the hormonal world of 10/11 year old boys that was a source of conflict between the two, particularly as Danny's independence helped him gain financial independence...

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 07:33:11

And having given it considerable thought, I have concluded that the SOCO tent was never swamped by the tide because DT's sonic screwdriver was used to hold back the tide grin

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 07:34:02

x-post Mandragora grin

MandragoraWurzelstock Fri 19-Apr-13 07:38:10

LOL at sonic screwdriver grin

MandragoraWurzelstock Fri 19-Apr-13 07:39:30

and shock at the missing person

I see what you mean

intheshed Fri 19-Apr-13 07:42:43

I reckon that when we see him on the cliff top with the red diesel dripping from his hands he has seen something/something bad has happened (perhaps his dad and aussie lady??) so he ran away. Then either someone catches up with him, or he notices the vicar's light is on so runs there for help.

We only have the vicar's word for it that it actually is Tom's laptop and that Tom threatened him....

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 07:43:58

It's mad, isn't it, Mandragora? The picture, that is. And that was used in TV mags to describe the main cast. I would imagine it was a trick to get people to look at the people they had been told to look at, and not where they perhaps should be looking iykwim...

MadBusLady Fri 19-Apr-13 07:46:50

Beth is anxious about Danny from the start of the day. She is very uneasy when she sees he hasn't taken his packed lunch.

Who's missing from the publicity pics then? Sleazy SOCO guy?

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 07:51:22

MadBus not SOCO - just google Broadchurch and then select images. Look at one of the images that seems to include most of the main cast members - and then spot who's missing!

jumperooo Fri 19-Apr-13 07:51:30

I just googled broadchurch cast photo and there are two on google images that look the same, except one has Maggie and Ollie in it next to the reporter woman, and the other has just the reporter woman, forget her name?? Nigel and will Mellor character not in either I don't think?

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 07:58:39

Try this pic
or - I don't get Tv magazines but if this was replicated in most of the other mags then it seems odd one of the main cast is left out...

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 08:02:15

jumperoo one of the characters you mention is there, one isn't wink

The thing is, it did cross my mind that maybe that person wasn't there the day they were doing the main publicity shots, but they are in other shots (so probably were present at the time) and also they would just have photoshopped him in. So it must be deliberate.

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Fri 19-Apr-13 08:02:56

Have been looking at those photos. I think there are two main cast members not appearing in the photos. Hmmm.

jumperooo Fri 19-Apr-13 08:04:16

Isn't that supposed to be Danny in the tent? Creepy.

That second one Tee is a different picture to the two I've seen on google?! Sorry my mistake, will mellor is in both pics I saw plus the ones you've just linked but no nige or the vicar in any of them and ollie and Maggie only in some. Must be ploy to confuse!

MadBusLady Fri 19-Apr-13 08:05:45

Hm, most of those have some people missing. I can't find Nige in any of them though. Isn't the figure in the tent supposed to be Danny?

MadBusLady Fri 19-Apr-13 08:06:41

x-posts.

Some quite bad photoshopping going on too grin

AuntieMaggie Fri 19-Apr-13 08:11:17

I reckon there are 4 significant characters missing...

teejwood Fri 19-Apr-13 10:12:43

I have now bothered to look at a large version of one of the images and you are all right - it looks like Danny grin
Still doesn't explain why one person is missing from all (?) the group shots I could find, though wink
Unless, of course, that is yet another red herring! I'm just suspicious that the production and publicity team were trying to direct us away from the perp - and as it reinforces my guess I'm happy to go with that grin

fruitstick Fri 19-Apr-13 10:14:46

But it could also be an elaborate double bluff.

I would love it if Tom did it & he is on the cliff.

Showing the murderer in the opening scene would be brilliant!

yellowhousewithareddoor Fri 19-Apr-13 10:27:37

I think its Joe but then that is probably what those of us that obsess about these things are supposed to think... so maybe it isn't?

Perhaps there WILL be a big reveal about Joe and whatever is on the computer exposing that OC's family isnt the tight knit one she hopes it is...

... leading to the "real" story.

Looks suspicious for Nige with those photos but didnt his mother say he was home with her when he tried to be Marks alibi?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now