Masterchef - new thread

(1000 Posts)
PseudoBadger Fri 12-Apr-13 20:28:42

Get in here Stairs grin

Davros Sat 20-Apr-13 11:16:55

I like Natalie, you're all being londonist! Saira needs to cook something different IMO, everything she does, great though it seems, she could feed to her parents. I like her but I've got curry-stylee food fatigue.
If anyone is still interested, DH's spinach tips: use a pan with a wide surface area, not a little pot so a frying pan type thing. A few drops of water to prevent sticking, moderately hot, do not risk burning! Load in the spinach, well spread out. When it starts to break down and wilt, some water will come out. Remove and place into a bowl or sieve and squeeze it with your hands or back of spoon to get out as much water as possible. Put back in bowl as dry as possible, he likes to cut it up with a sharp knife and fork, not mush. Add olive oil, nutmeg and lemon juice. The lemon juice does not make it watery at this point but I did like John Torode's suggestion of using lemon zest as I think it improves everything. Phew, thank god I don't do the cooking in this house, just the eating! ( and shopping, sous chefing, clearing up).

I think Saira needs to make her food look more sophisticated, but she admitted as much last night. I would happily eat it all though! Whotsherface who won last year had the same problem, but then upped her game.

I like Natalie too!

I thought the two chaps who got through last night were rather good- looking. Just coming on here to say that.

Love your random comment Return!

lirael Mon 22-Apr-13 20:55:18

I like Natalie too Davros - she's very different from the usual Masterchef women. Though I can't believe she's 29 - she looks about 18 to me!!

Gracelo Tue 23-Apr-13 08:35:14

"londonist" smile I actually like Natalie, she reminds me a lot of a friend who is also a fantastic cook.
I still want Larkin to win though based on what I have seen them cook so far, or Saira, if she starts cooking other things than Indian food. I love Indian food but she is playing it very safe at the moment.

imustbepatient Tue 23-Apr-13 20:30:09

Just watching Friday's on catch up now. Feels like the programme is a bit more on track again but don't know why they made this one only 30 minutes. I would have liked to have seen more of how they all cooked. Too rushed for the numbers of dishes and high cuisine style they were finally able to cook again.

I wish the Friday show was on for an hour.

Although I like the remaining contestants, it isn't the same this year. I used to get really excited, especially for semi-finals week. It all seems more rushed. Didn't MC used to run for several weeks rather than a few? Have I imagined that?! I loved the year (2009) Matt won for example. Although I liked him, I wanted Andy to win, with Chris a close second. You really got to know people and really cared about how they did in MC.

imustbepatient Wed 24-Apr-13 19:57:02

Exactly LittleAbruzzenBear. The Aussie and NZ ones also go for a lot longer and include the master classes etc so the contestants' cooking and skills really improve. So interesting to see what they can cook / create by the finals.

Here's hoping tonight's episode is better!

DuffyMoon Wed 24-Apr-13 20:03:39

Evening

It's really rushed this year, they basically blasted through the heats and semis. I don't really feel like I know any of them and they have barely cooked their own food or had a chance to develop their style. They have only cooked what 3 times? I really enjoyed seeing how they improved over the course of the show in previous series.

Am now hooked on masterchef Australia - season 4 - it's ace. Although the talking heads bits are really irritating.

DuffyMoon Wed 24-Apr-13 20:04:57

Ffs...fast forward

DuffyMoon Wed 24-Apr-13 20:06:55

I miss the real beginners rounds where they make bananas in gravy etc ...they don't show any of those bits

Bessie123 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:11:58

What is that white thing they stuck on the veg plate at the end?

I really don't care about these guys.

imustbepatient Wed 24-Apr-13 20:23:43

Was it Lardo?

imustbepatient Wed 24-Apr-13 20:32:40

Still feels too rushed but the food looks yummy! Not the best day to be doing a fast day on the 5:2 diet...

StuffezLaYoni Wed 24-Apr-13 20:35:35

Evening die hard fans.
I hope Larkin wins, I think he's lovely. But also think Natalie is pretty great too. Oh and I like saira.
Not dale though.

Bessie123 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:35:50

What is lardo?

imustbepatient Wed 24-Apr-13 20:37:56

Italian cured fat, meant to melt in the mouth with rich saltiness. Like the fat bit of iberico ham I think.

Bessie123 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:41:40

Urgh, ruining a nice sounding veg dish with a bit of fatty dead stuff

StuffezLaYoni Wed 24-Apr-13 20:43:02

Lardo sounds like a term of, er, un-endearment!

Bessie123 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:44:46

grin

GirlOutNumbered Wed 24-Apr-13 20:49:56

Just tuned in, what restaurant is Larkin in!?

imustbepatient Wed 24-Apr-13 20:53:13

Hole in the wall in Cambridge. Run by Alex the finalist from 2010 MasterChef. Didn't recognise him at first!

This thread is not accepting new messages.