Please can someone tell me of a really good series that has a strong female lead?

(142 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Wed 20-Mar-13 23:41:58

And not some self absorbed whining woman. I'm looking at you Carrie Bradshaw and you Hannah from Girls and, especially you bloody Meredith Grey.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 22-Mar-13 21:24:38

Peggy most definitely. I don't know about Betty really. I wish it would hurry up and come back on. I can hardly remember what happened last season.

I've got quite a list now I shall have to see if I can try and download some of them or else IRS going to cost a fortune. grin

BertieBotts Germany Sat 23-Mar-13 09:48:15

Fringe is probably one of my favourite programmes ever. I may also be slightly in love with Peter

Cherrypie32 Sat 23-Mar-13 17:04:51

Prisoners Wives, new series currently 2 episodes in on BBC. Last series was fab too.

Lighthousekeeping Sat 23-Mar-13 22:39:43

Edie Falco was on this weeks Who do you Think You Are? I can't wait to watch it.

KateBeckett Sat 23-Mar-13 22:48:40

Castle
Dollhouse
Blue bloods (strong female characters though main lead is Tom selleck!)

EggsPressYourself Sat 23-Mar-13 22:56:03

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy - original Swedish films starting with Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Lisbeth Salander is amazing, and the actress who plays her - Noomi Rapace- is brilliant. Not seen the British version with Daniel Craig so can't comment on that, but highly recommend original.

cherrycherry41 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:58:21

Bones.
Best thing on the box.

SlatternismyMiddlename Sat 23-Mar-13 23:42:15

I absolutely agree with Buffy, Good Wife and Fringe, fabulous shows that I wish I could watch from scratch.

Also, Nikita for kick ass moves. I enjoyed Chuck as well, strong female co star.

I also think Sons of anarchy is amazing.

ER always had consistently strong females even if it was more famous for the male eye candy.

scarlettsmummy2 Sat 23-Mar-13 23:59:56

Silk! Martha Costello is my hero!

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 24-Mar-13 00:05:31

For some trash- revenge is also pretty good! And Judge John Deed- Jenny Seagrove is really good.

I also really love Getting On and in a similar genre, The Thick of It, although it doesn't have strong women as such!

crazy8 Sun 24-Mar-13 00:07:06

Revenge

Tortington Sun 24-Mar-13 00:07:15

body of proof

and

rizzoli and isles <----like cagney and lacey and just as cheesy i love it

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 24-Mar-13 00:07:54

Nashville also looks promising.

onedev Sun 24-Mar-13 08:05:48

I'm really enjoying Nashville but not sure I think they're strong women - will reserve judgement on that! grin

Buffy
Xfiles
Fringe
House- she's not the main character but cuddy is a very strong female character

littlepinkpear Sun 24-Mar-13 08:19:10

Elementary. First series is available on Sky Go.

Loving Lucy Liu in it.

Thumbwitch Sun 24-Mar-13 10:16:03

Watching Elementary right now. It's great - I didn't think I was going to like it [stuffy old gimmer doesn't like classics being mucked about with] but I really do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now