Please can someone tell me of a really good series that has a strong female lead?

(142 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Wed 20-Mar-13 23:41:58

And not some self absorbed whining woman. I'm looking at you Carrie Bradshaw and you Hannah from Girls and, especially you bloody Meredith Grey.

TWinklyLittleStar Thu 21-Mar-13 00:08:00

Gosh yes vicar Scully in the X Files was amazing.

It's still being made, but Up The Women on BBC4 sounds like it will be great.

Greenshootsandleeves Thu 21-Mar-13 00:14:41

new tricks

BertieBotts Thu 21-Mar-13 00:15:09

Fringe is brilliant - you must watch it.

LuisGarcia Thu 21-Mar-13 00:16:36

BSG. Yes, really

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 21-Mar-13 00:22:12

The Killing
Buffy
The Bridge

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 21-Mar-13 00:24:19

30 Rock

mrsruffallo Thu 21-Mar-13 00:26:56

prime suspect or the closer

runawaysimba Thu 21-Mar-13 00:27:49

Veronica Mars. Fab strong girl detective. She's my lady crush.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 21-Mar-13 00:30:10

What's Fringe?

BertieBotts Thu 21-Mar-13 00:41:17

It's amazing.

First series is similar to X-files but less boring, with a mad scientist and just generally brilliant character development. It's hard to say much more about it if you want to avoid spoilers - there's a pretty big part of the general plot which doesn't come in until very near the end of season 1, although arguably it doesn't really spoil the story.

It's just fantastic - the characters are likeable and well-developed, the relationships between them are interesting, all of the actors are amazing and deserve several awards (especially in later series) and it manages to be funny, warm, thought provoking and occasionally tense/adrenaline/scary too.

I sold it to my friend by saying - look - do you want to watch a series which has a kick-ass female lead, a genuinely mad scientist, an ex-con man who has a good heart and a sense of morality, a man-in-charge with nerves of steel with one expression which is perfect in every single situation, a proper New York cop and a sassy young black assistant who is much much more than filler?

MartyrStewart Thu 21-Mar-13 00:43:00

The Hour

TanteRose Thu 21-Mar-13 00:52:57

yy to The Good Wife, Getting On and Six Feet Under

also

Weeds (suburban, middle-class American mum of 2 turns to drug dealing after her husband dies - it is dark and funny!)

The United States of Tara (Toni Collette is brilliant, with the rather lovely John Corbett (Aiden in SATC)

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 21-Mar-13 01:17:44

Another for The Good Wife. Loads of great female characters.

KatieMiddleton Thu 21-Mar-13 01:26:26

Yy The Good Wife, Nurse Jackie, Getting On, The Hour and The Closer.

crabb Thu 21-Mar-13 01:32:05

Star Trek Voyager.

ChinngisKhan Thu 21-Mar-13 04:35:12

Torchwood

MsMoppet Thu 21-Mar-13 04:57:59

That is easy - Ashes to Ashes is awesome with two great female characters.

Also The Bridge - the story and female lead stay with you as its utterly engaging.

Yamyoid Thu 21-Mar-13 05:18:24

Heroes? I loved that series and Claire is a particularly strong character.
Another vote for The Killing and Scott and Bailey.
Good suggestions on this thread, must watch some.

Another vote for The Good Wife.
Excellent series.

TheRealFellatio Thu 21-Mar-13 05:24:36

Damages. With knobs on. The two main characters are women, both very strong characters. The men all get supporting roles. It's hugely exciting and full of skullduggery.

And I would agree that Six Feet Under has very strong female characters as well.

TheRealFellatio Thu 21-Mar-13 05:26:18

Although they are not the 'leads' as such - I'm not sure there is really a lead, but if I had to pick one I'd say it was Nate.

Scott &Bailey fan here too.

3 strong female leads. New series about to start.

TheKnackeredChef Thu 21-Mar-13 05:36:43

Bones.

crabb Thu 21-Mar-13 07:13:45

Ooh, some more - The West Wing. CJ rocks! And Silk, with Maxine Peake as Martha Costello, QC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now