Sky movies/Netflix/lovef ilm

(9 Posts)
theredhen Tue 05-Mar-13 12:57:35

Hope this the right place to ask.

Am thinking of getting some sort of package for films. Already have sky but only have kids stuff and sport as extra. So could get movies if it wasnt too expensive? Was thinking about Netflix/lovefilm.

Anyone got any opinions on which I should go for?

We can have a ps3 to download onto if we choose a streaming option, although ds has an x box but that's in his room and we would want to watch the films on the main tv downstairs.

I'd be quite happy with older films but I think the teenagers would prefer the latest films and one of the reasons for getting it is to encourage film nights to include them.

SpanishFly Tue 05-Mar-13 18:58:24

If it's streaming, rather than having discs posted to you, the main thing is to make sure your download speeds make it worthwhile. eg our broadband is hellish - 2mb - so an HD film on Sky takes 14 hours to download.

Yes, 14 hours.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 07-Mar-13 12:59:51

We have Sky Movies and I really love it. Download is sometimes almost instant and there is a huuuuuge selection. It's especially good for kids as they get bored of DVDs after watching them a million times, but Sky Movies seems to keep them happy.

I tried Lovefilm- kept forgetting to send the discs back and would end up renting a disc for about 3 months! It was good for Box sets and series though (but so is Sky!)

Netflix was horrible- the titles scroll across the page so quickly you can hardly read the titles. Whenever I clicked on a film to read the info on it, it would start downloading it. I also didn't rate the selection of films AT ALL.

Sky Movies is by far the better choice and I love it!

SpanishFly Thu 07-Mar-13 18:26:12

But do u mean the On Demand films are instant to download? That's the case with us, but if I want to watch a film that doesnt have a "play triangle" logo on it, it takes half a day

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 07-Mar-13 21:36:17

Some have a little symbol on them that means ready straight away. Our films used to take a long time to download but DH (who's in IT) suggested I switch the Skybox and TV off at the plug for a bit. After that it was much quicker.

SpanishFly Thu 07-Mar-13 22:31:24

Yeah that's what I meant. The ones without that symbol take forever to download

ChocsAwayInMyGob Fri 08-Mar-13 11:18:58

I hate to sound like I'm reading my husband's Tshirt, but have you tried switching it off and on again? it really worked for us.

If not ring Sky and tell them as it shouldn't take that long.

SpanishFly Fri 08-Mar-13 11:30:09

The new hd box in the other room takes as long. I phoned sky and they said that our appalling broadband speed is the problem so nothing we can do about it. SD films etc dont take nearly so long, but I want to watch them in HD

LaalRatty Fri 08-Mar-13 13:02:35

Even though we have Sky HD and the appropriate tv I never download anything in HD if I can help it. It takes a bloody age. Lovefilm is ok if you keep on top of your rental list and don't watch anything on it in the meantime. The amount of discs I get when I've already (accidentally) watched it because they've popped up on Sky is getting annoying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now