BROADCHURCH mon 9pm itv

(1000 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Sat 02-Mar-13 12:31:11

sexy david tennant 'blonde drools' plays a police officer who investigate a childs body found on the beach sad

hockeysticks Mon 04-Mar-13 22:13:28

Well The Killing was 20 hours on one murder and I think that's the kind if vibe they're going for so 8 sounds about right.

RedPencils Mon 04-Mar-13 22:14:04

Why did the journo take the toy?

BOF Mon 04-Mar-13 22:15:45

The toy thing made no sense to me either.

It's the BBC one that's on nightly, not this one.

hockeysticks Mon 04-Mar-13 22:27:00

Do you reckon it's a 'Kate McCann' thing. Trying to get a token media symbol of crime which is actually nonsense?

mumfordanddaughters Mon 04-Mar-13 22:29:14

I thought that was a pretty good start. Gripping and enough people lurking suspiciously and behaving oddly to do a killing smile

Jux Mon 04-Mar-13 22:48:44

Olivia Coleman is on a par with Juliet Stephenson who, imo, is one of the best ever Brit actresses - including all those Dames.

BOF Mon 04-Mar-13 22:58:05

Yes- Coleman for Dame!

purpleprudence Mon 04-Mar-13 23:07:18

Good grief , I've just watched it on itv+ 1 . Wow it's slow , or were they hoping the slo mo made it atmospheric - no it just made it boring . I was looking forward to it as it's filmed locally but please get a move on with the plot . And don't even get me started on the mummerset accents - firstly a Dorset accent is nothing like that and secondly most people living in Dorset have moved there from elsewhere and do not have a Dorset accent . I'll give it one more go and hope it improves but the off button beckons .

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 04-Mar-13 23:17:09

Seemed a tad slow - cant believe can get 8hrs out of this story

Think mayday was better - but will watch next week and see what happens

youfhearted Mon 04-Mar-13 23:19:53

got some names in it,
enjoyed this, always enjoy olivia coleman and Vicky Mcclure, and of course mostly enjoy david tennant.

out2lunch Mon 04-Mar-13 23:21:17

argh dull slow slow slow

RussiansOnTheSpree Mon 04-Mar-13 23:24:27

@purple didn't you think the bit where the mother ran from the fast road to the beach at west bay was a bit ridiculous? That's miles! She was wearing shoes not trainers!! Also it was a bit unfortunate the place they chose to have the body. sad

Still, I thought it was good.

I thought it was good. Enjoyed it though sobbed terribly at a couple of bits. 'Parent muscle' well and truly twanged here.

It's interesting to compare the two - Mayday we don't even know if anything has happened to the missing girl, let alone who or why. Here we know exactly what's happened but not who or why. I think the why will be particularly interesting as it's clearly not a sex crime. Hope not anyway, I would regard that as a massive cop out (no pun intended)

Does the reporter intend to do something with the monkey to get DI Tortured Tennant in to trouble? She seemed pissed off he was working after the case - which doubtless we will be hearing much, much more about.

ImNotaPheasantPlucker Tue 05-Mar-13 06:41:35

purple thanks for saying about the awful accents, I thought it was just me being picky.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 05-Mar-13 07:00:18

I really enjoyed it apart from the dire accents.

everlong Tue 05-Mar-13 07:22:58

A bit to close to home. But DH was out so I ' put myself through it ' idiot

I'm going to say it's the poliewomans DH.

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 05-Mar-13 07:57:49

He'd been doing something with the red diesel. So that's possibly relevant.

Everlong I think he's dodgy too. Doesn't sound like he's the older boys dad does it?

What do you reckon - diesal thieves that the boys were trailing and it went bad?

I think the accents are so emphasised to draw a distinct line between insiders and outsiders to the community.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 05-Mar-13 08:10:58

Northern - given that DT is using his normal Scottish accent they didn't need to do the fake mummerset accents! grin

There's obviously Smething Going On. My first thought was a coven. But basically so long as it's not cannibalism (the writing/directing/production team did one particularly gruesome episode about cannibalism when they were all working on Torchwood) then I don't mind.

Mrsrobertduvall Tue 05-Mar-13 08:18:12

I enjoyed it, especially when Simon Rouse appeared briefly.
I tell you, I had nice thoughts in bed last night grin

MrsTomHardy Tue 05-Mar-13 08:22:38

The police woman's son has something to do with it....I'm sure of that!

LIZS Tue 05-Mar-13 08:25:52

Thought it struck an interesting balance between recent thriller and crime series, avoiding the macabre of Silent Witness by not focussing on the boy himself and that then made it less emotive. There are obviously more subplots to emerge - the other boy deleting texts and emails, the mutual distrust of the parents, Hardy's past, peripheral characters - but 8 episodes ?!

youfhearted Tue 05-Mar-13 08:28:17

so the plumber must have been up to no good

but what about the 3.30 am power cut. are we evr going to hear about that?

RussiansOnTheSpree Tue 05-Mar-13 08:33:31

It's all a bit Laura Palmer. And to be honest that's the reason I was able to watch it - child death normally completely off my TV menu. With this though, because the death happened during the opening music, and because the victim wasn't real to the viewer at all, it made it compartmentalisable. And the ridiculous long distance run before the mum saw his body took away the sting of that scene which otherwise would have been really upsetting, but as it was I was just 'but that's MILES! She can't have run that, not in those shoes, not in that dress' to DH and that made the sadness incidental. Obviously this may not have worked for people who don't know the area.

This thread is not accepting new messages.