MAYDAY - sun 9pm

(422 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Sat 02-Mar-13 12:28:43

a new 5 part thriller sun to thur 9pm about a missing person

Hattie the may queen goes missing - everyone suspects everyone

like thrillers smile

mrsjay Sat 09-Mar-13 12:09:35

Everett didnt think he was cursed he was depressed we were seeing him from Linus's 16yr old bubble IYSWIM, I think Hattie got a lift home from the centre place because Everett went there for his therapy

Empress77 Sat 09-Mar-13 12:29:41

I absolutely loved it, the ending was brilliant! Hope that Seth wasnt killed and the Dad now a murderer though. Sure that Everett will get let out, and that the evil Fi & Husband will break down & know they cant hide. Presumably Caitlin Hattie will make sure and Linus will help. Presumably with some councelling etc later on we will get Caitlin back and ok and hopefully she and Linus will get married and live happily ever after. Hope Seth can also live happy in the woods too. And Gail & the dog (that was brilliant) will love Cornwall, very pleased for her. All Hatties spells turned to stone which was brilliant as couldnt work out the stones atall until the evidence changed. Loved it. Hope Broadchurch will prove as good.

Not only did Malcolm have his perviness to conceal but also he was known to have a grudge against Hattie. If he'd gone to the police and said 'she's dead and it was one of your own who did it, no it wasn't me, it wasn't' Who do you think would have been arrested?

That's why he didn't want to go on the search and why he tried to avoid them finding the magic circle. He thought they would find her there. His only way out was suicide. Or at least that's how it seemed when he'd spent 24 hours in the woods.......

mrsjay Sat 09-Mar-13 13:47:13

Empress you have just written a second series smile

valiumredhead Sat 09-Mar-13 14:20:50

What was in Everett's bag? confused

I keep remembering random bits of the series!

Wingedharpy Sat 09-Mar-13 14:36:20

His dead wife's belongings which he was storing in a garage as he couln't bear to part with them.

valiumredhead Sat 09-Mar-13 14:49:26

Oh yes, of course! Thank you smile

armagh Sun 10-Mar-13 01:13:42

Thanks Maggie and MrsJsy

Stickwithit Sun 10-Mar-13 18:49:11

Loved it. Although to be honest I find Aidan Gillen the sexiest man on the planet, so that may have had something to do with it blush.

Empress77 Sun 10-Mar-13 19:23:09

I wish they would do a second series! But dont know if they could capture the magic long term!

CalamityKate Tue 12-Mar-13 13:26:00

Fiona was such an odd, timid, wet character that it wouldn't surprise me if Everetts crime 20 years ago was "looking at her funny" or something.

CalamityKate Tue 12-Mar-13 13:29:58

But if Malcolm had shopped the copper they'd soon have found out he was telling the truth!

Evidence of police issue cable ties on her wrists... her blood on his shirt... his fingerprints on her neck... probably DNA under her nails...

But it still would have exposed his perviness and his bankruptcy. I figure that he knew it was all going to come out now, which is why he killed himself, so he didn't have to face the repercussions.

CalamityKate Tue 12-Mar-13 13:42:58

He could have just said he was birdwatching. The bankruptcy wouldn't have to have come out surely?

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 12-Mar-13 13:47:25

ditto didnt understand why malcom didnt say the policeman did it or even yell out or take a pic on his phone as proof

zukiecat Tue 12-Mar-13 16:23:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

armagh Tue 12-Mar-13 18:24:33

Agree Zukie. Really felt Sophie Okenedo (excuse spelling) was not up to her usual standard or else she got a crappy scriptwriter. Character unbelievable.

INeverSaidThat Tue 12-Mar-13 23:39:45

I really enjoyed this series. I liked the 'look' of it. It was a bit hammy and silly but it was good fun.

I thought Linus looked too old for the role and his accent was a bit hit and miss, otherwise I liked him a lot.

zukiecat Wed 13-Mar-13 18:42:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

givemeaclue Wed 13-Mar-13 22:43:16

Not sure i can be bothered to watch
H last two episodes I have recorded...who was the murderer? And why?

SarahRogers1980 Wed 13-Mar-13 22:50:04

Aidan Given.. what a man! Sorry lost myself there!

OrangeFireandGoldashes Sat 16-Mar-13 17:34:22

Caught up with this late. I have a couple of theories:

1) Everett didn't do anything to Fiona. From the point that despite suspecting/knowing it was her husband who was the murderer she decided to protect her family at all costs, she was looking for someone to frame. First she was going to try Malcolm (the conversation about the Moon Pond) but when he killed himself, she needed another patsy. She gambled on Everett's somewhat debauched lifestyle meaning he wouldn't remember for definite whether he had done something to her or not. Then Linus gave her further "evidence" and she used the excuse of going round to forgive him for the (non-existent) transgression to plant the charm.

2) Malcolm didn't go to Hattie's aid because he thought at first it was another couple doing the deed for him to, ahem, pleasure himself to. Then when he realised he had in fact been wanking over a murder in progress he was disgusted with himself, hence the vomiting. This plus the financial situation he'd got himself and his wife into were the factors contributing to his suicide.

3) Caitlin turned into Hattie (she said as much to Linus) rather than simply dressing up as her so didn't need hair dye, or anything other than a psychic link between herself and Alan to know that he murdered her or where he was in order to go and 'haunt' him.

Having said all that, I didn't particularly enjoy having to come up with theories of my own and I think the fact many intelligent people on here and on other forums were still asking many questions about various aspects of the plot means that Mayday failed in the final execution. There are enough loose ends in real life, I like my dramas more neatly tied up thanks. If I wanted to make up all my own endings I'd be writing the damn programmes, not watching them.

I didn't think the supernatural element worked very well either. I'm not averse to supernatural and witchcraft storylines and I'm a pagan myself, but this fell between two stools. IMO it needed to be resolved either by means that were completely explicable in the 'normal' world, whatever the possibilities/suspicions might have been in the build-up, or it needed to be more overtly 'witchy'. As it was it came over as a strange mish-mash of mundane earthly reality with a couple of supernatural elements thrown in which felt (to me) as though they were devices to get the writers out of a corner they'd backed themselves into.

I did like the fact it wasn't a 'straight' whodunnit i.e. not 90% focus on the investigating officers, that the mother was a cypher etc. It was an interesting premise that ultimately, for me, was more disappointing than satisfying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now