Mary and Martha BBC1 tonight 8.30 (so not long)

(67 Posts)
CuriousMama Fri 01-Mar-13 20:14:07

Am looking forward to this, 2 great actresses in it Brenda Blethyn and Hilary Swank. Probably be a bit sad but still sounds interesting.

youfhearted Sat 02-Mar-13 09:35:12

my sister actually died from malaria but that was a long time ago which is why I couldnt understnad why the boy didnt take tablets but the grown up son had the tablets and gave them away. were they badly informed>?

Trazzletoes Sat 02-Mar-13 09:49:03

Not sure why the young boy didn't have tablets. The mum had a conversation with a medical centre about his jabs being up to date and iirc they kind of pooh-poohed malaria. I have no idea why they didn't have proper information. Every malaria death is preventable, but there was really no excuse for that little lad. Plus he didn't get any medical intervention for days because she thought he had flu. I wasn't watching closely at that time but surely the other people there, like her driver, would have recognised malaria? Or did she just not mention to anyone that he was unwell?

Brenda Blethin's son gave his to the children to protect them. He thought he could beat malaria as he was young, fit and healthy.

malariakills Sat 02-Mar-13 09:50:01

Have NCed for this.

I very much enjoyed the programme for its content and also for personal reasons.

My parents spent time abroad before I was born doing research into malaria. Their research was particularly important in recognising just how cost effective and good mosquito nets are.

Both my parents took anti-malaria drugs, but it didn't stop my dad from getting malaria. This was because in order to do his research, there was only one way to feed the mosquitos (I have no idea if has changed in the years since) and the drugs were only so effective at preventing him from getting malaria.

People look to drugs to be the solution to the problem but actually the very best way not to catch malaria is simply to try and prevent yourself from being bitten as much as possible in the first place. Hence why nets are just so important. This also reduces the problem of mosquitos becoming resistant to drugs.

My Dad was ok, but has had a few problems over the years due to the consequences of having had malaria.

If there is one thing that I could say, makes me really proud of them, its this. I know it must have saved thousands of lives.

skratta Sat 02-Mar-13 09:54:54

I was meant to go and visit my sister in a place in Burundi (she works for a charity as a doctor training the local people about disease, illnesses, contrsception etc;) but I had a severe reaction to the anti malarial tablets. I had to go to hospital and was in for three weeks, after convulsions, fainting, dizziness, blurred eyesight, panic attacks, tummel visiom, at one point even hallucinations and a big mood change. Im guessing children might sometimes be too young and have big side effects/greater risk of side effects? Which (to me) means not taking them to Africa. So sad that so many children don't get that chance and don't get the help they need.

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 10:39:27

Sounds like you took lariam which is used in areas where the standard tablets won't work.

Both times we visited Africa ds was too young to take any tablets hence my concern and research to check where we could go. I was incredibly careful to ensure he was slathered in insect repellant that worked against mosquitos and also that he wore long sleeves and long trousers in the evening. There are loads of places in Africa that are low risk for malaria but you still have to be careful. It didn't put me off taking ds but did mean I was far more careful than when I had been on previous trips without ds and took malaria tablets.

skratta Sat 02-Mar-13 14:09:52

Yes, that's what I'd do. Avoid high risk places, take as many precautions there anyway. I've been to Africa once more, to a very low risk place (well, in comparison) and took precautions like you took with your son, and it was only for three days too. Don't get to see my sister unless she visits me, and therefore my nephew and nieces unfortunately, but I won't take my DC or go myself until she goes to a low risk place, and then there will still, naturally, be precautions. Tbh, I'm not sure how she does it with her DC to keep them malaria free. I know she'd never, ever risk their safety so there must be some way, but maybe it's not available here?

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 15:24:05

I think if you live with the risk of malaria everyday and you can take precautions to avoid it then you do it as a matter of second nature. It is harder for us who visit and have to actively think about all the things you need to do to minimise the risk.

NellysKnickers Sat 02-Mar-13 20:14:37

I'm glad I didn't watch it, just reading this thread has got me all teary eyed, the trailer was enough for me. So sad. All the more sad because babies and children are dying from malaria right now.

CuriousMama Sat 02-Mar-13 21:20:26

youhearted so sorry to hear about your sister x

MoominmammasHandbag Sat 02-Mar-13 21:52:01

My great uncle had caught malaria working on the Burma railway as a POW. He must have been pretty tough as he survived, but I remember he used to get these periodic flu like episodes for the rest of his life.

Struckachord Sun 03-Mar-13 10:59:29

This programme really touched me. For the price of a cup of coffee a child's life can be saved. Malaria kills millions of children each year and it made me feel truly ashamed for worrying about minor things. I wondered if Mumsnet HQ had thought about highlighting this as part of a campaign?

Yotamsrazor Sun 03-Mar-13 14:52:20

I wondered if the American boy didn't take anti-malarials because they were given bad advice re South Africa. I was told you are ok in the main towns/cities but would need it in more rural areas. I wouldn't risk it though and would want everyone to take them if I were going to anywhere in Africa, Asia. I generally loathe Richard Curtis's over-blown slushiness, but did get a lot out of this and thought it really brought the message home about the terrible toll malaria takes.

difficultpickle Sun 03-Mar-13 15:55:41

It isn't enough just to take anti-malarials though, you need to take precautions as well. I thought it would have been better if the child was younger so didn't have the option of taking or not taking tablets. The choosing to not take tablets was made clear with Ben, the teacher that died. How old was the American boy supposed to be?

difficultpickle Sun 03-Mar-13 16:02:50

This is a UK charity which focuses on the prevention and treatment of malaria.

cocoachannel Sun 03-Mar-13 17:12:04

I thought it was wonderful - very moving. I set up a donation to Malaria No More as the credits rolled.

difficultpickle Sun 03-Mar-13 20:08:58

I did the same today. I didn't realise it was based on a true story sad

CuriousMama Sun 03-Mar-13 22:07:04

I just donated thanks for that link bisjo. Used Paypal too so very convenient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now