Child Of Our Time is back!! Who's going to be watching?

(251 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 26-Feb-13 11:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Horsemad Sat 09-Mar-13 10:40:31

I agree bisjo teenagers these days are so sophisticated compared to my friends and I at the same age (long time ago now!)

I remember my friend's son being taken to Prague for his 18th birthday by his then 17yr old g/f!!

When we were 18, we were just thrilled about being allowed to go to the pub!!!

difficultpickle Sat 09-Mar-13 10:29:10

I think these days when dcs become teenagers their childhood is over. Teenagers today are so much more grown up and worldly wise than when I was a teenager 30 years ago. The internet, social media and mobile phones have a lot to do with that. When I was growing up we only had tv, radio and a landline phone that wasn't cordless. Far easier for my parents to control what I did, where I went and whom I was friends with.

Verycold Fri 08-Mar-13 23:26:04

It went on and on about how their childhood was over. So depressing hmm

Lighthousekeeping Mon 04-Mar-13 10:21:28

The programme has always shown more of Parys and Eve. I don't know how it works tbh. I love both of them anyway. After that, it's the vets son and the lad from Northern Ireland. I suppose not everyone has a story to tell. I don't know how it will an out in years to come.

Pourquoimoi Mon 04-Mar-13 07:47:15

I agree it's disappointing that there are only two programmes this time. DS was born in late 2000 so by the time this is shown is not far off the age of the kids. Whilst I still like watching it, I do not find it as interesting as I used to be fascinating. I guess it is harder to go into depth on puberty though without the kids refusing to do it.

I did find the overwhelming theme was the parents coming to terms that this is the beginning of the end of childhood and they are sad at having to start the process of letting go. I completely empathise with this, it is a big issue for lots of us.

gazzalw Mon 04-Mar-13 07:13:01

Thought the Grandfather looked crestfallen....

The programme was also very heavily weighted in favour of some families/children over others.

SoMuchToBits Sun 03-Mar-13 21:22:54

diddl, the GPs of Matthew now sadly live separately, the GF in their home, the GM in a nursing home, so her care needs can be met. They still see each other a lot.

They didn't say how bad her symptoms were though, did they?

Lighthousekeeping Sun 03-Mar-13 18:37:09

My friend who's mum has Parkinson's was gobsmacked how quickly granny seemed to go into a home sad

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Mar-13 18:30:22

That's a pain, was looking forward to more episodes! Was slightly disappointed that there's only two episodes and felt that all the information was compressed into two 1 hour episodes just did not do the 20 year project much justice. What a shame...

gazzalw Sun 03-Mar-13 17:28:43

Yes, you are right...I reckon this twosome of episodes was done on the cheap....

LIZS Sun 03-Mar-13 14:35:17

true gazzal but neither programme claimed to set out to analyse the benefits of having gps involved or not. A look at the lp/nuclear/extended family set ups might have been insightful.

gazzalw Sun 03-Mar-13 14:22:15

I wonder though whether the generational focus was purposeful, especially as some of the grandparents are quite elderly and might not be around for the duration of the 21 year project sad

IrnBruTheNoo Sun 03-Mar-13 14:08:34

I've just caught up with the first two episodes today! Had no idea it was on, until I had a squint at the Telly Addicts topic area the other day! How many episodes run in the series?

ivykaty44 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:31:40

I have enjoyed these programs and seeing the child of our time grow up. For me it was frustrating this time as they seemed to spend so much time with the adults and grandparents and we saw far less of the children - it is the children/teens I wanted to hear from and hear their views on the world whatever those views are.

It seemed especially strange now as these youngsters are much more able to talk for themselves as never before, I could understand this when they were 5 years old but now they are 13 I want to hear from them and what we did hear was lovely.

yes keep the grandparents in but edit it down to a minimum.

GW297 Sun 03-Mar-13 12:26:48

I would have loved to have found out more about all of those (and many other issues!) too.

LIZS Sun 03-Mar-13 12:16:35

Think the reason it seemed deflating was that we are so used to the more superficial reality shows now that expectations of this as a social observation were higher. There were glimpses of what the programme might have been. - William's decision to give up competitive tennis and the impact on his mum, the death of Eve's mum, impact of separation and divorce, Parys dealing with disability etc but less based on the previous psychological observations and whether they had fulfilled the predictions. Were the roles among the triplets the same as when they were younger, how had the dynamics evolved or not. How had their earlier ambitions been shaped by events and maturing. Were the early achievers still achieving . The scope of these programmes seemed lacking and somehow incoherent.

GW297 Sun 03-Mar-13 08:43:23

That confused me too.

diddl Sun 03-Mar-13 08:12:03

Well yes, I know-I meant the clips of them, obviously.

Were they old clips, I wondered?

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 21:13:42

They aren't. She lives in a nursing home not with him. sad

diddl Sat 02-Mar-13 19:30:09

Just watched them both on iplayer.

Oh my goodness-Eve.

So mature, so wise.

And the GPs of Matthew(?)-the GM has Parkinsons. How lovely her & the GF were together.

GW297 Sat 02-Mar-13 18:51:55

I just did!

Yes, and I'm sure Mabel was thrilled her mum has told the nation.

Lighthousekeeping Sat 02-Mar-13 14:58:35

Why? I don't think they were identical.

GW297 Sat 02-Mar-13 14:47:18

I thought they'd all start about the same time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now