Child Of Our Time is back!! Who's going to be watching?

(251 Posts)
lisad123everybodydancenow Tue 26-Feb-13 11:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 28-Feb-13 22:09:20

Which one was Rueben again? I think we saw more this time around then we did before.

I imagine Eve to become an eminent doctor or big in the music world. She's so caring and in tune with everything. A credit to her parents.

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 28-Feb-13 22:09:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

difficultpickle Thu 28-Feb-13 22:11:52

Rubin was the one who became a chorister.

Highlander Thu 28-Feb-13 22:12:07

Eve is an amzing person, really amazing.

I find it shocking that her mum died of renal cancer; obesity is a big risk factor for this and yet the girls are awfully obse sad

drjohnsonscat Thu 28-Feb-13 22:16:10

There is a time for comment and a time when those observations would go better unsaid.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 28-Feb-13 22:16:33

Oh, yes, I remember Rubin now. Who else have we missed? I would have liked to see them adjusting to high school more as its such a big thing preteen.

edam Thu 28-Feb-13 22:17:33

Eve's story had me welling up. I'd forgotten that her mother had died. Poor lass. I imagine the footage from the show is incredibly valuable to her and her sister, as well as her Dad. When she talked about coming home from school and asking if she could take a card to her Mummy...

TheCrackFox Thu 28-Feb-13 22:33:08

I totally sobbed watching Eve. She is an amazing and talented person.

alemci Thu 28-Feb-13 22:35:04

Highlander I must admit I thought the same as you.

poor dad was doing a wonderful job bringing them up.

SoMuchToBits Thu 28-Feb-13 23:11:38

I have been particularly interested in seeing this, as one of the mums on it was my neighbour over the road when I was a child. It's always nice to see how they are getting on.

trice Thu 28-Feb-13 23:53:04

Ruben's mum came on a thread after the last update and told me off. I had been wittering on about pushy parents and boarding schools and being all judge and she quite rightly told me to wind my neck in as she and her family are real people and I didn't know what was really going on. She was very pissed off with Robert Winston if I remember rightly. It was a bit of a wake up call to me that people do read threads about themselves. Especially perhaps twelve year olds who can work Google.

BlackAffronted Fri 01-Mar-13 07:28:24

Trice, does that thread still exist?

trice Fri 01-Mar-13 07:58:25

I couldn't find it in a quick search. I would guess it has been deleted as it talked about real children by their names. We all apologised to the mum though, she was perfectly right to be pissed off.

LIZS Fri 01-Mar-13 08:02:49

Bless Eve, very brave to talk so about such sensitive issues, and felt really sad for Charlie although gp's seemed lovely.

LIZS Fri 01-Mar-13 08:06:05

did we see Calvin's mum but not him ?

We saw Calvin, but barely. He got all of one sentence on screen.

JakeBullet Fri 01-Mar-13 09:59:00

Just watched this on iPlayer....and blubber through the last 10 mins.....poor Eve and how cruel life is. I just felt so sad seeing her Mum so so emotional and excited at the scan .....such a short time to enjoy her much wanted children. Feel she was robbed of the life she should have had with her girls sad

girliefriend Fri 01-Mar-13 11:00:12

I was sobbing by the end, bloody cancer angry so wrong that they lost their mum so young. In a way I felt almost more sorry for the younger daughter as she must have been very little when her mum died so may not remember her at all sad

Think Eve seemed lovely and a credit to her mum and dad.

They didn't talk much about Paris and his mum today, was that in the previous episode? Always thought she was quite inspirational.

snotfunny Fri 01-Mar-13 11:26:14

Just caught up with this on iplayer. Have been watching from the beginning and then was lucky enough to teach one the of the children when they were 7/8. He is doing really well, by the look of it. I love watching these children growing up.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 01-Mar-13 11:26:14

She was on it loads the day before.

ArcticRoll Fri 01-Mar-13 17:35:52

Although it was fascinating catching up I feel the whole slant and tone of the show has become more exploitative and melodramatic.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 01-Mar-13 17:44:08

To be honest, I thought there would be more information about the physical and emotional side to puberty. More scientific, I guess. My DN is about six months behind the children and is abit of a stroppy madam at the moment. My sister and I both thought they would show abit more of what's going during these huge changes but, it wasn't like that at all. Just a jolly good catch up on the families.

Totally agree artic roll

gazzalw Sat 02-Mar-13 10:17:09

I think part of the problem is that they had a lot of children to cram into two hour-long programmes and it's more than a year since we, the viewers, last saw the children, so it was important to reintroduce them properly in their teendom.

When the programme first started I'm pretty sure the updates were in a four/five part series format, so there was a lot more time to explore the physical/psychological pathways of early childhood.

Although the child development stuff was fascinating I really don't think they can continue with the scientific angle now. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to go into the physical/emotional aspects of puberty without a) sounding all GCSE Biology and b) embarrassing the HELL out of the kids. What would they cover? Which girls had started their periods and which boys had pubes? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now