Am I the only one who cannot watch Sir Brian Cox because he is creepy?

(65 Posts)
nevergoogle Sun 24-Feb-13 21:14:38

I just cannot listen to his voice. I've just had to ask DH to change the channel because I was getting all irritated.

Am I alone?

Cooroo Tue 26-Feb-13 13:47:41

Another fan here, but my OH is allergic so I record and watch at odd moments. Am also a big Infinite Monkey Cage fan. We saw Robin Ince live and he was brilliant.

EstherRancid Mon 25-Feb-13 16:26:39

i'm the same as you cowmop but my mind wanders onto norty fings - DH loves PBC as it gets us both int'mood wink

as for PCSs DW - you lucky cah! grin

MrsBucketxx Mon 25-Feb-13 16:12:47

I'm the same cowmop.

cowmop Mon 25-Feb-13 14:40:00

I like the show a lot and find it interesting, but my mind wanders all the time and I end up missing the important bits. Nine pm is just too late for my little brain.

There was a very funny sketch on Charlie Brookers programme on Friday night.

MrsMymble Mon 25-Feb-13 14:28:31

I like him. But neither myself nor DH can see him on telly any more without having to say 'keep it on me Gary!' grin

Startail Mon 25-Feb-13 00:04:43

Knight, opps

Startail Mon 25-Feb-13 00:04:12

I don't mind him, nor does my 15yo science loving DD1. My 12yo DD2 agrees totally with the OP she can't stand him.

I sort of see what they mean he is a bit soppy and ingratiating, he does sort of creep into your head.

Mind you DD2's ideal man is the Merlin night with muscles and sleeveless armor.

VBisme Sun 24-Feb-13 23:40:59

Really not a fan, he's smug and his voice is extremely odd.

Also I went to see D:Ream at Birmingham uni in the 90's and they were just dreadful. (and their parents were doing the merchandising).

MagzFarqharson Sun 24-Feb-13 23:31:29

Haha thanks tribpot - didn't want to wake dd up to ask her how to find the link grin

tribpot Sun 24-Feb-13 23:20:14
tribpot Sun 24-Feb-13 23:16:03

I do love the VIP sketches "stay on me, Gary". Charlie Brooker did a good piss take this week as well where he had his faux-commentators talking about how it seemed like he was on a week long acid trip and someone had been filming him talking about the chickens disturbing the cosmos and stuff.

Perhaps as a proper science boffin his stuff works better when it's tempered with some TV-pizzazz, like the recent FANTASTIC programme with Dara Ó Briain.

BeckyBrandon Sun 24-Feb-13 23:05:07

his grin is a little creepy..

Beamur - it's official. I Am A Prat. grin <wears badge with pride>

Beamur Sun 24-Feb-13 23:03:36

freddiemisagreatshag - I can't believe there are people on MN who missed your legendary thread about Prof. Cox.
I reckon he's great on the telly and my little girl goes all hands in the air and 'wow' about science when he's on so he can't be that bad.

xigris Sun 24-Feb-13 23:02:19

Most annoying voice ever and soooo smug for one who was in D:ream! grin

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 24-Feb-13 22:58:26

same here never

The topic is interesting, he is unwatchable IMO.

In the same way I can't bear to watch Piers Morgan, his whiney voice and smug face.

Although with Piers I am sure he is as smug in real life and much less intelligent wink

nevergoogle Sun 24-Feb-13 22:53:38

oh i'm sure i'm missing out on the science, i love science. but i cannot watch it and don't find it enjoyable because of his voice and mannerisms. shame really.

Davros Sun 24-Feb-13 22:46:30

I think he's great. I love The Infinite Monkey Cage

I find him fascinating and just love his ability to communicate, which he clearly has such a passion for. Not bothered by his voice or clothes, just glad we're getting programmes like that broadcast.

specialsubject Sun 24-Feb-13 22:30:17

I neither fancy him nor find him creepy. That's probably because I am no longer twelve years old, which is the right age for that kind of conversation.

tonight's episode wandered off topic in places, and he should know better than to try to dumb down photosynthesis. Some of the other episodes have been enthralling, and it is a clever way of presenting science as a unified subject.

good to have factual TV that doesn't feature shrieking, talentless harpies, ignorant journalists or brain-dead petrol heads.

nevergoogle Sun 24-Feb-13 22:18:46

very funny thread. sounds like his mrs has a good sense of humour about it all. it doesn't change the fact that 50% of adults in my household find him creepy and unbearable, while 50% find him informative and engaging.

rufussmum Sun 24-Feb-13 22:03:50

If my DH made as much money as BC I wouldn't mind what a bunch of mums thought about him.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 24-Feb-13 21:58:40

oh - it was freddies thread actually.

OMG did you all not see my thread last week?? grin

off to find it hold on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now