anyone start watching NASHVILLE

(331 Posts)
HanneHolm Sun 10-Feb-13 14:50:30

last week?

tribpot Sat 04-May-13 09:21:22

It isn't real <keeps reminding self> but I think it is meant to be semi realistic with regards to the music biz. I've enjoyed some of the back stage stuff particularly - I don't think you realise just how much work goes into a big tour like Rayna and Juliette's. I've been expecting to see one of them starting to give out from exhaustion - probably more likely Juliette than an old pro like Rayna - but as the artists they seem to have a relatively easy gig and now a month off? Nice.

How/why they perform in heels is still beyond me though. The only woman who can pull that off over a sustained period is surely the incredible Tina Turner.

diddl Sat 04-May-13 09:26:26

I can't help think Juliette is going to start to self destruct.

Looking after her mum, trying to change her image, Glen has left, Deacon was annoyed with her...

Doesn't anyone see the poor little lost girl who needs some help?

Oh know, coz it's all about bloody Rayna who's a fucking adult!!
and I hate her

tribpot Sat 04-May-13 09:41:02

I think if we were having 'Team Rayna' and 'Team Juliette' t-shirts made, diddl, it would be fairly easy to predict which one you would like smile

To put a bit of context on it, Connie Britton (who I love) is a producer of the show, so it's basically her show. Perhaps being of un certain âge I identify more with Rayna than with Juliette anyway. But the tension between them is not just age but also the manufactured vs. grafting artist. I think if they were being a bit more up-to-date Juliette would have been discovered via something like Pop Idol or X Factor or whatever, but maybe that phenomenon doesn't exist for country music.

Of course, Juliette is much more talented than just a great showman - but overcoming early expectations is as old as George Michael or eve the Beatles. I'm guessing she is roughly the same age as her actor, i.e. 23? So not a child but certainly a kidult spoilt by too much fame too fast, after a godawful start in life. Let's be honest - Rayna's childhood with her appalling father can't have been much fun either.

Gargh - I'm now having to resist the urge to buy the series on iTunes to start watching again from the beginning grin

diddl Sat 04-May-13 09:58:56

No I agree that neither had a great childhood.

But Rayna at least wasn't manufactured with loads of yes men only interested in the money she could make!

I try to sympathise with Rayna & then she just spoils it by assuming it's all about her.

When Deacon got on the plane-it must be for her, when Liam arrived at the hotel...

Thing is, Juliette & Rayna need each other-Rayna needs to change & Juliette wants to.

Shame they've been pitted against each other.

I think what set me against Rayna was how disparaging she was of Juliette-who although manaufactured, at least has talent.

And it could all go as soon as the next "teen idol" comes along.

They are both in danger of everything crashing around them career wise!

tribpot Sat 04-May-13 10:23:26

I think it's good they're both flawed characters. And both are egocentric in the way of lots of artists. No-one gets on in showbiz without looking out for number one. (She says, with vast experience of such matters).

Rayna is very threatened by Juliette's success - one made the label but the other keeps it relevant, as they've both said (about their own parts) in the past. And of course ironically as an actor Connie Britton would also be losing parts to younger actors like Hayden Panettiere if we weren't finally seeing some power coming into the hands of senior women figures like Callie Khouri (Thelma and Louise and now Nashville) so a woman in her forties is allowed to play something other than 'wife and mum' (if not granny!). Rayna's character might be more interesting if she were not also a wife and mum, of course.

Anyway, Connie Britton has said she doesn't see the series as being about the rivalry between the two singers. And they don't strictly compete for fans or airtime, etc. (For men is a slightly different question). They could help each other more if they would trust each other, but we can't get to 'and they all lived happily ever after' by the end of series one grin

tribpot Sun 05-May-13 14:49:35

Btw I just rewatched and the cheque Avery gets is from South Circle Publishing, i.e. Hayley.

diddl Sun 05-May-13 15:03:48

Aha!

Suppose it had to be really to get him back there with Scarlett & Gunnar!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 08-May-13 16:32:25

That last episode was all a bit sombre, wasn't it?

Liam is hawt though. I'm sure Rayna will end up with Deacon <<snore>> but hope she has a good old rebound fling with Liam first.

Rayna's storyline is MUCH more interesting than Juliet's at the moment IMO. Something more must be going to happen with Gunnar's brother too. Presumably he'll inveigle his way into their band but then the long arm of the law will get him, and I guess Gunnar too (and maybe Scarlett?) for being accessories.

Rayna will save the day though. I don't know how, but I have total faith in her. [girl crush]

GreatGretzky Fri 10-May-13 00:32:55

shock at Jason! And even more shock at Gunnar and Scarlett! They were obviously going to hook up at some point but I didn't expect it to be in that sort of situation!

Poor Jolene...I actually caught myself going "oh no!" when they showed her with the champagne. The bit when she apologised for spoiling Juliette's party when she was little really got me as well!

But Deacon holding a puppy made everything ok again grin Just aadorable. Him and the dog!

BOF Fri 10-May-13 00:35:51

Loved it tonight.

I was annoyed with Rayna for showing up to the party and wanting to sing, it's not about you, it's not your party woman and you didn't organise it! So I agreed with Juliette's vair polite way of saying fuck off!

tribpot Fri 10-May-13 18:12:00

I thought it was heartbreaking that Jolene basically destroyed the party for Juliette. Her final comment was the telling one - she wanted to sing at the Blue Bird. She wanted to be accepted as a proper musician (the party was, basically, a ruse to allow that to happen given Deacon didn't even want it!). But instead she's got to go home. Jolene should be back in rehab but I suspect they will keep her around so she can be guilty about it.

Poor Jason. I suspect Gunnar is going to blame Scarlett for making him get rid of the gun / blame himself for throwing it away.

Great episode. My goodness Gunner is HHHHHHOOOOOOTTTTT!

Juliette is getting more depth, sad depth having wanted her mum dead! So very sad.

Teddy is growing a backbone!

It's all happening.....

GreatGretzky Sat 11-May-13 02:26:01

ABC have just renewed it for a second series! Hopefully we'll get it shown over here again as well.

tribpot Sat 11-May-13 13:43:33

Thank goodness they've renewed it, would be a real shame to lose this one.

Yes, a good programme for women with central female characters, not many of them about. Hope they air series too on More4.

*series 2 I meant!

rightsaidthread Wed 15-May-13 13:00:12

Just caught up. Go Teddy!
Poor Gunnar but lucky lucky Scarlett atthe end envy

givemeaclue Wed 15-May-13 13:02:11

Omg are you telling me the series is finished???

Nooooo...

Clayhead Wed 15-May-13 13:04:13

It hasn't finished, has it? I thought we were only on episode 13 or 14 and there's normally over 20 in these things.

givemeaclue Wed 15-May-13 13:53:39

Googling , I need to know. Will report back

givemeaclue Wed 15-May-13 13:55:05

19. Episodes

GreatGretzky Thu 16-May-13 13:12:00

There's 21. Was meant to be 22 but they cut one, America had number 20 last night (shock) at what I've read about it!) and finale next week.

givemeaclue Thu 16-May-13 13:58:24

Don't tell!!!!

GreatGretzky Thu 16-May-13 14:16:19

My lips are sealed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now