difficultpickle Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:02

Amazing but hard viewing.

difficultpickle Wed 06-Feb-13 21:47:21

Only me watching?

Lilka Wed 06-Feb-13 21:49:52

Completely agree

It's so amazing what they can do

MousyMouse Wed 06-Feb-13 21:55:54

amazing and fascinating but also so sad!

HomeEcoGnomist Wed 06-Feb-13 21:57:42

Imagine having that responsibility. Totally puts my job into perspective...

I really hope I, or anyone I know, never have to go to NICU

The poor lady in the car crash...

ohmeohmy Wed 06-Feb-13 22:02:47

It's making me want to cry. My ds has had brain surgery twice and might well need it again in the future. Bless these amazing drs.

zookeeper Wed 06-Feb-13 22:02:58

what happened to the fireman 's wife?

difficultpickle Wed 06-Feb-13 22:04:26

Incredible responsibility but the surgeon wore it very easily. I thought the registrar (one with the glasses who spoke about being hated) was a bit of an arse. Nursing staff were brilliant. Reminded me of when ds was a newborn in paediatric NICU and not well at all. It was the nursing staff who kept me going and helped me through such a horrible time.

I had hoped they were going to update her story with something positive, but I think they left it at the point where she was being moved off ICU without any realistic prospect of further improvement. sad

keveljay Wed 06-Feb-13 22:11:39

Truly fabulous people. But don't you think this world is a##e about face when premiership footballers get paid roughly 2x these brilliant surgeons annual wages each week. I truly despair

magimedi Wed 06-Feb-13 22:46:15

ohmeohmy

Having watched that I really feel for you & your DS.

Very un - mumsnet hugs from me to you.

OpheliaBumps Wed 06-Feb-13 22:54:18

I couldn't watch it, lost my beloved sis to a brain tumour 2 years ago, she had some pretty serious surgery so this was just too much for me to watch.

ohme wishing your ds all the best and hoping he doesn't need more surgery, it's just so invasive isn't it <hug>

I watched it. They are an amazing team my DS was operated on there in november for craniosynostosis (episode on the condition coming up in a couple of weeks) I cannot praise them highly enough grin

Popes rogue grin there, sorry!

Oh ffs oops stupid auto correct

ohmeohmy Thu 07-Feb-13 08:08:55

Thank you magimedi that's very kind. Luckily he didn't have a shunt put in or we would have had many more problems. Bizarrely I often think of his neurosurgeon when if I do the hoovering!

DebbiesDoubleDees Thu 07-Feb-13 22:10:40

Amazing programme but scary stuff. Those Drs and nurses are worth their weight in gold. Truly amazing people.

lelose Fri 08-Feb-13 16:31:08

Tracey the one in the car accident went home eventually. She is in a wheelchair and can't care for herself. She can't really talk. My husband was in the show.....those doctors are amazing and all the staff for the most part at John Radcliffe! What a great place to be if you're going to super sick!!

lelose Fri 08-Feb-13 16:32:10

And no we wasn't a surgeon, he was one of the patients. It was a horrible time 9 months ago, but that's all behind us...just about! :-)

chocolatespiders Fri 08-Feb-13 16:34:00

May have to catch up with this on the Iplayer... also would like to watch the probation one.

lelose Fri 08-Feb-13 16:34:10

OOPS...we = he. Sorry!

lelose Fri 08-Feb-13 16:37:20

Here is the link if you missed the first episode.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qlmb4/Brain_Doctors_Emergency/

chocolatespiders Fri 08-Feb-13 16:38:53

Thanks lelose- I hope your DH has made a good recovery smile

lelose Fri 08-Feb-13 16:43:34

Thanks Chocolatespiders. He did. We ended the show and it's a lovely ending! It was a scary time though. They said in the reviews that he had a flu-like virus. He did not. He had virus the week before that caused his immune system to get confused, which in turn made his immune system attack the white matter in his brain. It left him paralyzed and in a coma. He came out of he coma over 7 days later and was paralyzed. He went to rehab this summer and is miraculously walking with only a few major problems as a result. The auto immune disease is called ADEM (Acute Disseminated Echephalmyalitis). It's a children's disease, or more common in children, yet very rare. I would never wish it on any child! x

lelose Fri 08-Feb-13 16:45:31

My favourite part of the show was surgeon Jay for sure! He is a father of 3 and after he did the surgery on dwarf Charlie, he said to wash her hair. That was the father in him coming out. I love how he jams out to tunes on the surgery! Amazing job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now