Anybody really not impressed with Blandings?

(12 Posts)
ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 05-Feb-13 23:12:48

I like the son too. Jennifer Saunders is totally unconvincing - sounds like she'd fit in at the gates of any obscure private school.

ClaraBean Tue 05-Feb-13 23:01:39

Wodehouse is my favourite author, I was afraid to watch Blandings in case it was ruined. I am watching it though, all though it is far from brilliant, and I have a good old moan to dh whilst I watch it! I hate Paloma Faith and her appearance last episode really annoyed me!

out2lunch Tue 05-Feb-13 22:57:14

It's truly dire isn't it
I quite like the son though
What's up with Jennifer Saunders face - no expression at all

Davros Tue 05-Feb-13 22:06:09

Ashamed to say I haven't read Wodehouse for a long time. Now I have my new Kindle I am going to download some ASAP. For Wodehouse fans, if you don't know already, hou woulld love EF Benson. I just bought the whole Mapp and Lucia series for Kindle for 77p!!! The tv series of M&L from some years ago with prunella scales and Geraldine mckeowm is brilliant and still available on DVD. Sorry to divert!

perplexedpirate Tue 05-Feb-13 21:06:01

I wasn't keen. Really failed to capture the rhythm of Wodehouse's dialogue and the bounce of the plot (but pseudy, but ykwim).
Fry and Laurie any day, or read, for preference.

RustyBear Tue 05-Feb-13 20:59:43

I've got it on my planner too, but I've been hesitating about watching it because I love Wodehouse so much. I was wary from the start because Timothy Spall is so little like Lord Emsworth - 'a long, lean stringy man', 'drooping like a wet sock' (generally over the Empress's sty wall). I always envisage him as more like Richard Vernon.

I shall probably take heed and delete it unseen....

Panzee Tue 05-Feb-13 20:46:55

I watched the first one and was extremely disappointed. I too am a huge Wodehouse fan and I don't recognise this programme at all. The others are on my planner but I can't bring myself to watch them.

susiedaisy Tue 05-Feb-13 20:43:05

I've been watching it I like the scenes between Jennifer Saunders and Timothy spall but find the other characters a bit rubbish tbh, but I know nothing about Wodehouseblush so can't compare it to anything!

IndridCold Tue 05-Feb-13 17:40:58

Me, me me!

To be fair I haven't watched any of the programmes because it looked an absolute travesty. All those stupid, exaggerated clothes and hair styles are unnecessary. They don't need to camp it up to make it funny, the humour in the original stories speaks for itself.

I think that Fry and Laurie got it pretty much spot on, but I agree that nothing compares with actually reading them.

MarinaIvy Tue 05-Feb-13 13:50:33

Yes! Radio is OK. As Stephen Fry said (don't remember the exact words), one's imagination does the rest of Wodehouse's writing, and that's how it's meant to be.

Are you in love with Psmith? I sure am.

BTW, love the name, Davros.

Davros Tue 05-Feb-13 13:47:50

I too love Wodehouse but took one look at this and decided it was crap. My sister confirmed this for me and I trust her judgment. Apart from S&F J&W Wodehouse is better read or on the radio imo

MarinaIvy Tue 05-Feb-13 13:28:23

I absolutely fricking adore PG Wodehouse (I even thought about naming DC Pelham Granville) (I didn't), and even though no filming can can possibly make a dent in the writing brilliance, I liked the Fry&Laurie Jeeves&Wooster. It had charm, attention to detail, any story compilation or character merging made sense.

But this Blandings. Meh. Doesn't even look like they're trying to capture Wodehouse's spirit. It's all physical comedy and not enough repartee.

I keep watching, hoping it's going to get better, but I have a funny feeling, another XX shows later, I'm just going to regret devoting myself to such a disappointment...

PS, anybody want to buy me that house, please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now