Lost interest in Mr Selfridge

(158 Posts)
PenelopePisstop Sun 03-Feb-13 21:08:23

and the rest of them to be honest. Can't say I like any of the characters and I think the acting is EIT wooden or obvious in an amateur dramatic way.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 19-Mar-13 09:21:30

grin Bessie. I'd actually happily watch it – I liked this series and I fancy the artist – but Fitoussi being in it regular-like would be a lovely bonus.

BTW, Miss Mardle is certainly NOT past child-bearing, surely? She must only be fortyish.

Bessie123 Mon 18-Mar-13 21:27:32

He'd better not be a guest star. I'm not sitting through a whole 'nother series for him just to be in 1 episode.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 18-Mar-13 14:46:06

Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy.

Hope he crops up in other things before then. I'm off to IMDB to find out.

Talisin Mon 18-Mar-13 09:57:04

"IS IT TRUE that Gregory Fitoussi will be in the next series?!?!?"

Mr Fitoussi himself has confirmed he will be back in S2 grin Whether that'll be as main cast or guest star is not clear.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Sun 17-Mar-13 21:55:20

IS IT TRUE that Gregory Fitoussi will be in the next series?!?!?

Joy unconfined smile smile smile

I've got a galloping little bit of a crush.

wednesdaygirl Sat 16-Mar-13 20:35:27

Loved that doris still called him Mr Grove and said she could call him roger once they were married

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Mar-13 12:10:59

The problem is that there isn't much better drama around (i like a bit of escapism actually) IMO Call The Midwife IS much better but very unusual if not unique for these days (old gimmer emoticom grin)

True about the modern Miss Agnes atthewelles (who wouldn't have existed in those days IMO).

Miss Mardle acted very well last night I thought.

atthewelles Mon 11-Mar-13 11:17:09

By the way, Agnes recovered from Henri's departure in record time!!

Harry was more upset about him going.

atthewelles Mon 11-Mar-13 11:15:52

To be honest, I think the money that making Mr Selfridge must cost could go into a far better drama. I don't think I'd be too upset if I'd heard they weren't going to bother with a second series.

Mr Groves really behaved like a total shit last night. For a minute I thought Miss Mardle was going to agree to his selfish, insulting suggestion.
Mind you, I don't get the impression Dolly is head over heels in love with him any more that he is with her. They both just want children, and she also wants financial security after seeing what happened to that unfortunate woman who was sacked after stealing some ribbons.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Mar-13 11:06:10

Oleaginous another good word grin Suits Mr Horlidge grin

Bessie123 Mon 11-Mar-13 11:03:30

Shitclown - good word grin

Fillyjonk75 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:59:50

I watched one episode, thought Mr Selfridge was an oleaginous shitclown and didn't bother again.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Mar-13 10:57:21

I can't stand misery Stenders so I don't watch it. grin

You're right about the attitudes having changed which is what made the Frenchman and Miss Towler's affaire all the more anachronistic. There were horrible (true) stories of men with V.D. caught (from prostitutes) giving it to their wives and hence killing their unborn babies and it never being discovered or talked about between the couple shock it happened to Mrs Beeton.

Bessie123 Mon 11-Mar-13 09:55:15

Accessories girl is Danielle from Eastenders, no?

I wasn't referring to men's fidelity changing but to the change in attitudes to it - women had so little power then (they still couldn't vote fgs) that there wasn't much they could do about a man having an affair. To separate from their husbands would greatly disadvantage them, and they were encouraged to shut up and sit at home sewing, like a good little wifey. Women were also discouraged from expressing sexuality, particularly if they wanted to be seen as 'respectable' - it wasn't until the late 1920s that there was a bit more freedom to express yourself. So I think there was much less stigma attached to a cheating husband and I don't know how much of the door slamming and flouncing would actually have gone on.

ppeatfruit Mon 11-Mar-13 09:02:19

Bessie123 do you reckon much has changed regarding the fidelity or otherwise of men ? sorry to be cynical.

Agree fiderer but did someone upthread say that it won't be back till NEXT YEAR shock??

DON"T MARRY SHITHEAD GROVES sweet little accessories girl (sorry i've forgotten her name grin!!

Fiderer Mon 11-Mar-13 08:50:54

That was a bit glum. Mr Selfridge did lots of sad faces.

Not half as much fun watching others (in the play) making fun of Lady Mae's hair/hats and Mr Selfidge's stomach-out bonhomie as it is doing it here grin

Poor Miss Accessories. Doomed to a life of selling brooches and polishing her hair.

I'd watch another series, enjoyable tosh.

Bessie123 Mon 11-Mar-13 00:06:52

I also really don't think women took men's affairs as badly then as they would do in the 21st century. It seems to have been so widespread. I think the series has compressed events over about 25 years, from memory the play didn't come out irl until after Mrs Selfridge was dead.

Bessie123 Mon 11-Mar-13 00:03:59

Well, I think they take key events and change them a bit to fit the other dramatised parts of the story. I don't know a great deal about it; I read that Mr Selfridge book a while ago - that is the extent of my knowledge.

grin yay Henri is back

RedPencils Sun 10-Mar-13 23:22:21

The play really happened? I assumed most of this was made up.
The play was the catalyst for Mrs S leaving, it's one thing for him to have his bit on the side but for everyone to know and laugh at her about it is too much.

Talisin Sun 10-Mar-13 23:17:23

Looks like Henri will be back next year - Gregory Fitoussi tweeted "Yes. I'll be back on Mr Selfridge for season 2. I enjoyed it too much!"

Bessie123 Sun 10-Mar-13 22:39:46

That play happened in real life, I guess that's why it was in there. But apparently it mocked Mr Selfridge as a soft spoken, gentlemanly, spendthrift womaniser.

Henri was the sexiest best thing in the show. I don't think I'll bother watching if he's not in it. Tell me he doesn't really go to NY

MissMogwi Sun 10-Mar-13 22:02:50

I wanted to see Lady Loxley wreak her revenge on the play and it's crap actors.

I dont get fhe introduction of the play

RedPencils Sun 10-Mar-13 21:49:20

Awkward!

Poor miss mardle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now